D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Gothic Lineages & New Race/Culture Distinction

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/gothic-lineages Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins...

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.46.36 PM.png

Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins other games by stating that:

"...the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural. Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of a particular lineage. Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage."

Weiley31

Legend
With the amount of 3PP races I have as options, I'm not really that in a tissy over getting new races. (Alright all of you quit looking at me when I say 3PP because I know everybody has mixed views on it.)

And while I'm still big on the idea of Elves are dexterous and my Dwarves have Scottish Accents with stocky builds, I honestly want them to take the Lineage template system they have here. I want to see an option to make dat Hexblood Drider pc or that Half Dragon Kobold.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I've just heard about something regarding the Vampiric bite:

The Dhampire Bite doesn't read like it's Constitution Based.
It reads " You add your Constitution modifier to the attack and damage rolls when you attack with your bite."
As opposed to something like Hex Warrior, which reads "When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. "

The lack of "instead" means the math for the Bite attack would be 1d20+Prof+STR+CON, and the damage would be 1d4+STR+CON.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
One could easily put Ravenloft and Innistrad material in an undead-themed monster book like Draconomicon. (Previous editions have had them, although they've all had different names, since none has anything as punchy as "Draconomicon.")
Which is funny, cause Draconomicon is a play on the Necronomicon.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I've just heard about something regarding the Vampiric bite:

The Dhampire Bite doesn't read like it's Constitution Based.
It reads " You add your Constitution modifier to the attack and damage rolls when you attack with your bite."
As opposed to something like Hex Warrior, which reads "When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. "

The lack of "instead" means the math for the Bite attack would be 1d20+Prof+STR+CON, and the damage would be 1d4+STR+CON.
Yeah. That's clearly not the RAI, but is unfortunately the RAW. WotC needs to improve their wording on these features.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Which is funny, cause Draconomicon is a play on the Necronomicon.
The Necromonicon, though, is now thought of as a Far Realms thing, thanks to CoC, even though it's clearly a good name for a tome of necromancy. Presumably 3E's Libris Mortis was an attempt to establish a new D&D text of necromancy. To date, though, I don't think it really took.

Remove ads

Remove ads