• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Gothic Lineages & New Race/Culture Distinction

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/gothic-lineages Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins...

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.46.36 PM.png

Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins other games by stating that:

"...the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural. Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of a particular lineage. Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage."

teitan

Legend
Or it shows that some people are so used to or are accepting of the problems that the problems just seem normal to them, and then get annoyed when it's pointed out to them that no, those things are actually bad. Also, that quote basically means "don't try to fix anything because you yourself aren't perfect."
Sure ok. Have a good day. Buh bye now.

Remathilis

Legend
I cannot figure out for the life of me why have a floating ASI. It is the exact same things as increasing a point buy. I mean, if you attach it to something specific: race, class, background, culture, I get it. But if it is just floating, you do not need them at all.
I've advocated for raising the point buy amount and cap for future editions of D&D.
Not everyone uses point buy!
That's your choice. You opted to gamble with your ability score rolls, the price for trying to start with an 18 is that you might end up with only a 12 as your high score.

I disagree, and it's easy to argue, too. You cannot say an absolute like "Dwarves are hardy" if you can have a 5 CON Dwarf. That's already limiting you to "tend to be". And "tend to be" is compatible, in English, with some of them not being that way. If you remove the ASIs, as a whole, Dwarves can still "tend to be hardy", but PCs can be an exception. I'm afraid there's no way around that - PCs are exceptional. The rules they follow are not the rules all members of the race follow, nor are necessarily typical members of that race.
?What math are you using?
Point buy a thousand characters. Take a portion (dwarves) and add 2 to their con. They are now hardier than others. Roll 4d6 a thousand time. Take a portion of the results (the dwarves) and add 2 in con. They are now hardier than others.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I've advocated for raising the point buy amount and cap for future editions of D&D.
That's your choice. You opted to gamble with your ability score rolls, the price for trying to start with an 18 is that you might end up with only a 12 as your high score.
I use Standard Array, which similarly benefits from the floating bonuses.

Remove ads

Remove ads