Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

But I'm not comparing with non damaging spells for a reason. If you are a blaster mage, then you want blaster spells. And you want more than one of them. Fireball makes that impossible by making all choices but one completely suboptimal.
But you said you didn't envision your bard as a blaster mage. Problem solved.

It creates difficult terrain...for one round....which is a VERY minor benefit. Over 80% of the time the enemy doesn't care about moving at all or still has enough movement to get where they want to go.
Center it on a human, and he needs to dash to get out of the area. No save. You've dealt a nice helping of damage and come out ahead in the action economy. Yes, it's more situational than fireball. But if you're a wizard, and all you want to do is destroy something, then doesn't throwing fire at it make the most sense? This doesn't seem any more bothersome a situation to me than all healing clerics casting cure wounds, or all tanky fighters wearing full plate.

The point is that spells in D&D already break the rules. They let you do things you can't normally do(like shoot fireballs). That's great and that's what their role should be. But they need to be balanced against each other. Otherwise you end up in a situation like existed before WOTC created "Type 2" tournaments in Magic: Those with the fireballs win. Everyone else loses.
I don't want to digress too deeply into a whole other game, but if you're familiar with Magic... I'm saying that fireball is like Kalonian Tusker: ahead of the curve for other colors, but okay in green, because green breaks the curve a little bit on creatures. Green decks don't always win, because the other colors also break the curve on their own things.

When comparing power, you must always compare like to like. Cleric spells do different things than Wizard spells. Clerics heal, bring people back to life, and cure bad effects on people. Wizards don't generally get those abilities(to preserve class uniqueness). Hussar does some good analysis above, but Revivify is a perfect reasonable spell at 3rd level compared to the levels of other spells that bring people back to life in the cleric list.
Remember what we're actually talking about: comparing psion powers to wizard spells. If you think it's okay that wizards can do some things better and worse than clerics, then you shouldn't have a problem with psions doing some things better and worse than wizards.

Hussar

Legend
Remember what we're actually talking about: comparing psion powers to wizard spells. If you think it's okay that wizards can do some things better and worse than clerics, then you shouldn't have a problem with psions doing some things better and worse than wizards.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ics-and-Mystics-Take-Two/page32#ixzz40TLQy1tx

Ok, let's run with this then. I actually do agree with this in principle anyway. Wizards are obviously better at blasting than clerics. Clerics are obviously better at healing than wizards. Fair enough. That's the niche for the classes.

But, my question is, why is the baseline being represented by spells which break the guidelines. Actually, no, let me rephrase that. Why is the baseline being represented by the only two spells out of the dozens of spells available, that break the guidelines?

Take the example of Contact Other Plane vs Divination. Divination gives you one specific question about a single event or activity within the next 7 days and a cumulative 25% chance for getting a misleading answer if you cast it again. Contact Other Plane gives you 5 questions, but, a chance of taking a good chunk of damage and being insane for the day. Is Divination inherently better than Contact Other Plane? Well, maybe in some circumstances, but, since you have to ask a very specific question with Divination, it's very limited in utility. It's useless as an information gathering spell for things that you don't have a lot of knowledge about already. OTOH, I can sit at home, start using Contact Other Plane to gather intelligence about some enemy's home or plans and, so long as I make my Int save (which can be buffed beforehand) I can keep casting the spell all day long. It is, after all, a ritual. So, the cleric hits me with a Resistance spell before I start out, maybe an Enhance Ability spell too. Wizards have proficiency on Int saves, so, I've got probably at least a +8 on my saving throw (18 Int for a 9th level wizard is hardly unreasonable, +4 for proficiency bonus). Toss in a couple of buffs and I basically can't fail the save except on a 1.

So, is Divination strictly better than Contact Other Plane? No, not even a little. Divination gives you one answer about one specific event and that's it. Contact Other Plane lets me research an entire dungeon and play Twenty Questions (well, okay, 5 questions :D) with my DM. Which makes sense, it is a higher level spell, it should work better. And, yes, it in fact does.

I have no issue with the idea of Psions having niche's. This whole tangent started as a discussion between Mind Meld and Message. Both are Cantrips and both have things the other can't do. Fair enough. Mind Meld lets me talk with anything (although it's only one way - but, I could see this as a HUGE advantage when dealing with animals or the like), whereas Message doesn't require line of effect. It's essentially a Walkie Talkie for short distances. Depending on the campaign, either could be very, very useful. Which is as it should be - that's the point of niche's.

What we shouldn't do, IMO, though, is look at spells which obviously break guidelines and then build to that. That's just power creep. If every Mystic Power is flat out better than every other similar power from another class, there's no reason to play those other classes. It's unbalancing. Situationally better is fine. That's no problem. But, flat out better? That's poor game design. No option should always be better than every other option.

Since Fireball and Lightning Bolt break the design guidelines, but, apparently, no other school of magic gets this, then, fireball and lightning bolt are mistakes. There's no reason why they do the extra damage. When choosing between a 3rd level area damaging spell and a 4th level area damaging spell, it should be no contest - the 4th level spell should be straight up better in all ways. That's WHY it's a 4th level spell. There's a reason we use higher level spells. They are supposed to be better than lower level spells. By ignoring the design guidelines, you futz with the whole system and that's a bad thing.

zaratan

First Post
A duergar, deep gnome, drow or any other race with sunlight sensitivity, with blindsight from Third Eye (or spell) and eyes close, can avoid the sensitivity?

Starosta

Villager
Is no one else bothered by Psionic Investigation ? I thought they would change it from the first playtest, but it remained the same...

It basically ruins any kind of investigation scenario since pretty much anything is an "object". All you have to do is touch something on the crime scene and tada, you just unraveled the whole plot. :/

Yeah, I can't quite understand why no-one else seems bothered by this. Perhaps I'm just missing something, but it looks wildly, conspicuously overpowered to me, especially when you compare it to the poor Knowledge cleric's *seventeenth level* domain ability

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, I can't quite understand why no-one else seems bothered by this. Perhaps I'm just missing something, but it looks wildly, conspicuously overpowered to me, especially when you compare it to the poor Knowledge cleric's *seventeenth level* domain ability

Well, you can't really compare an ability versus what level another class gets a similar ability in terms of balance. This is how they distinguish the classes from each other. Some abilities that one class gets really late are an important function of another class that gets it early.

I mean, the Thief's 17th level ability allows him to take two turns during the first round of combat. Great. The Fighter got practically the same exact thing at 2nd level with Action Surge. They both get to take two Actions, but the only difference is the Fighter doesn't get the extra move and free object interaction, while instead getting to use it at any point they want during the combat. And these abilities are 15 levels apart from each other.

So if they've determined Psionic Investigation is an important and baseline aspect of what a Mystic does, it makes all the sense in the world they would get it early compared to another class who might only tangentially have it be a part of what they do and who they are.

Starosta

Villager
Well, you can't really compare an ability versus what level another class gets a similar ability in terms of balance. This is how they distinguish the classes from each other. Some abilities that one class gets really late are an important function of another class that gets it early.

I mean, the Thief's 17th level ability allows him to take two turns during the first round of combat. Great. The Fighter got practically the same exact thing at 2nd level with Action Surge. They both get to take two Actions, but the only difference is the Fighter doesn't get the extra move and free object interaction, while instead getting to use it at any point they want during the combat. And these abilities are 15 levels apart from each other.

So if they've determined Psionic Investigation is an important and baseline aspect of what a Mystic does, it makes all the sense in the world they would get it early compared to another class who might only tangentially have it be a part of what they do and who they are.

The thief's ability looks a lot more powerful to me (a full turn vs one action, every combat vs 1/short rest), but even if I concede your point, I'm still not quite persuaded. The issue isn't really about whether the mystic is balanced with the cleric (which, obviously, you can only determine by looking at the classes as a whole), but whether it's appropriate for the mystic to get such a powerful ability at third level. Like the original commenter said, this breaks certain campaigns wide open, far outstripping any comparable options at that level (e.g. Locate Object).

Once PCs hit double-digit levels you expect them to start gaining game-changing abilities, but level 3? My comparison with the Knowledge cleric (who, incidentally, I do think has some claim to 'otherworldly knowledge' as a core concept) was just an aside, really

Tectuktitlay

Explorer

Oh, I definitely have a strong problem with that power. It's flat out too powerful, having a very high chance of effectively breaking virtually any kind of mystery you can think of, at 3rd level. It should be a more flavor-oriented power. Yes, it should gain a tangible benefit, but it's one of those powers that should be a DM's fiat power. In other words, this is a power that should explicitly state the DM decides entirely what you see, without any specific guidelines. Flashes of visions that help guide the storyline in the correct direction, but without necessarily giving everything away. As it's worded, it gives the game away pretty much immediately, without constantly requiring every object all over any crime or mystery scene be significantly handled long after the crime or mysterious event occurs, to purposefully mislead, or to eliminate the power's efficacy. That's ludicrous. That's akin to random bands of goblins always having the see invisible or true seeing spells not only ready, but online, to prevent parties from bypassing encounters. Something that is asinine, imho.

Last edited by a moderator:

zaratan

First Post
I really liked Psionic Grip, is Hold Monster but focus in Int test, what can be way easier, you can move the target and you only need to see the target. Now imagine this with some spell/feature that allow you to see things without being present...

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Is no one else bothered by Psionic Investigation ? I thought they would change it from the first playtest, but it remained the same...

It basically ruins any kind of investigation scenario since pretty much anything is an "object". All you have to do is touch something on the crime scene and tada, you just unraveled the whole plot. :/

I missed this ealier but really its a non-issue because

1: It is easily foiled by simply placing a hooded cloak on whomever is committing the crime. Which is something everyone and their pet wolf has by default in D&D.

2: Sometimes the only way to give the PCs a clue is to force feed them a no-failure hook, such as "It was the guy in the red cloak, with this symbol. Perhaps you should like look into that symbol, nudge nudge wink wink."

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I really liked Psionic Grip, is Hold Monster but focus in Int test, what can be way easier, you can move the target and you only need to see the target. Now imagine this with some spell/feature that allow you to see things without being present...

A detection ability like "Sense Minds" would be cool for this. Roll a d20 with a possible modifier and the total is the level of Intelligence scores you sense in your immediate area without seeing them.
14 would be all INT14 and lower in a specific range. You can get a higher modifier by lowering the range, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads