Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Returns to Monthly With Some Revised Subclasses

the fighter’s Sharpshooter subclass was, by far, the least popular No one in their right mind liked that abomination. A terrible concept from the start.

the fighter’s Sharpshooter subclass was, by far, the least popular

No one in their right mind liked that abomination. A terrible concept from the start.

Jonathan Alvear

First Post
I've added a Dueling Spear, for lack of a better generic weapon name, that is reach, two handed, 1d6, and Finesse. I thought about giving it versatile, but you only get Reach if it is used two handed, rather than upgraded damage, but that is more complicated than 5e wants weapons to be.

Or you could take the Spear Mastery feat. You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls you make with a spear.
When you use a spear, its damage die changes from a d6 to a d8, and from a d8 to a d10 when wielded with two hands. (This benefit has no effect if another feature has already improved the weapon’s die.)
You can set your spear to receive a charge. As a bonus action, choose a creature you can see that is at least 20 feet away from you. If that creature moves within your spear’s reach on its next turn, you can make a melee attack against it with your spear as a reaction. If the attack hits, the target takes an extra 1d8 piercing damage, or an extra 1d10 piercing damage if you wield the spear with two hands. You can’t use this ability if the creature used the Disengage action before moving.
As a bonus action on your turn, you can increase your reach with a spear by 5 feet for the rest of your turn.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Or you could take the Spear Mastery feat. You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls you make with a spear.
When you use a spear, its damage die changes from a d6 to a d8, and from a d8 to a d10 when wielded with two hands. (This benefit has no effect if another feature has already improved the weapon’s die.)
You can set your spear to receive a charge. As a bonus action, choose a creature you can see that is at least 20 feet away from you. If that creature moves within your spear’s reach on its next turn, you can make a melee attack against it with your spear as a reaction. If the attack hits, the target takes an extra 1d8 piercing damage, or an extra 1d10 piercing damage if you wield the spear with two hands. You can’t use this ability if the creature used the Disengage action before moving.
As a bonus action on your turn, you can increase your reach with a spear by 5 feet for the rest of your turn.

That doesn't do the same thing.

And "or you could just do this other thing that is vaguely similar" isn't something I consider a valid response. IMO, it's basically the same thing as thread crapping, except that it applies to individual posts.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Actually, according to Christian doctrine, Christ is God.

Discussing the game stats for a deity actively revered by somewhere around a billion folks might not be the best idea on a forum that's Grandma-friendly and has a no politics rule (which, presumably, also applies to its first cousin of religion).

Only for trinitarians. Non trinitarian Christians, Jesus is a man, and closer to an angel than to being God, as such. A perfect Favored Soul.

Lets ask @Morrus , before continuing any discussion of the particulars of religious figures as examples of character concepts, though. I don't see the harm, as long as we keep it to the context of DnD, and using them as examples. Ie, as long as we talk about them the same way you'd discuss Odin. I worship Odin, but I'm not gonna get offended by a discussion of what class we use to represent him in DnD.

Even though the right answer is clearly a Warlock variant with himself as the Patron. "Sacrificed myself to myself" from the Havamal. Also, he used magics normally only used by female practitioners, and did crazy stuff like ripping his eye out to gain knowledge. I'd either use the Hexblade or Raven Queen as a base, or steal bits from both. Raven Queen lets him grab Tome for the added spells and rituals, and still have Ravens. Harder to give him two wolves, though. Maybe make up a Conjure X spell to give him that just summons twin wolves?
Definately some divination in the spell list. Other than that, just need to be able to be really lethal with that spear, without worrying about Blade Pact. Maybe Hex Blade with the Raven Queen's raven instead of the Shadow hound?

Jonathan Alvear

First Post
Yes to Raven Queen. That was one of my favorites (and I skipped the editions in which she made a previous appearnce, so I have no baggage or nostalgia).

My other favorites, from a flavor perspective, are Tranquility Monk and Redemption Paladin, although the latter needs some of the abilities rethought.

I like those two as well. Maybe we could get another pacifist subclass or two. Like maybe a Bard (that isn't creepy like the Glamour one) and a Cleric domain.

gyor

Legend
Anyone have good build ideas.

I had a odd idea for a Favoured Soul 14/Arcane Archer 3, fly upwards and fire off magical arrows at targets, even fire off one of your special shots then cast a quickened spell in the same turn. I call the character idea Cupid.

That doesn't do the same thing.

And "or you could just do this other thing that is vaguely similar" isn't something I consider a valid response. IMO, it's basically the same thing as thread crapping, except that it applies to individual posts.
I'm pretty certain that despite your rather . . . vociferous response, he was just trying to help you out, and had no intention of "thread crapping" or similar.
You specifically stated that the reach/no reach aspect of your adjustment was problematic and so I wouldn't regard suggesting an option that addresses this problem in some way as an attempt to shut you down.

Out of interest, what were the reasons behind creating that weapon? Did your game need a spearlike weapon that was slashing rather than piercing, or were you trying to replicate a specific unusual weapon from elsewhere?

What's creepy about the Glamour Bard?

Other than the fact that all enchanter types have some inherent creepiness in them (unless they mind zap you not to think they are creepy), the idea from the fluff that they are super mooches has a lot of jerkiness in it (not the same as creepiness). Just picture the kender glamour bard. I kid, I kid.

The whisper bard has definite creep factor, and I think that the glamour bard suffers from proximity. For players, they didn't do the glamour bard any favors by sticking it with the whisper bard, but for DM's looking for NPC's to annoy the party, it was nice they put them together or else we might have missed out.

Remove ads

Remove ads