Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Revisits Psionics

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“

F07971E8-C0BB-4025-A151-D48852409FCA.jpeg

ccooke

Adventurer
... That's the happiest I've been reading a psionics ruleset in a long, long time. I've not looked at the balance much yet, but it on first glance it looks okay. What's more, I can see character concepts I want to try out with pretty much everything there.

I look forward to finding out how people are going to hate it :-D

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I dont have time for a deep dive right now.( thanks to being an essential worker) But I have to say it tickles me that they opened up with a page to discuss the history of psionics, because that's really the biggest problem with making psionic classes: there are no less than three different design philosophies they could be using.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I dont have time for a deep dive right now.( thanks to being an essential worker) But I have to say it tickles me that they opened up with a page to discuss the history of psionics, because that's really the biggest problem with making psionic classes: there are no less than three different design philosophies they could be using.

Hello, fellow essential worker! I'm making faucets that I can't afford!

Personally, I want psionics to be two things:
  1. It has to be magic; this is to make it balanced with everything else.
  2. It shouldn't copy spells wholesale. I know, it seems kinda counterproductive with point 1, but there we are.
I do like the psionic die, though. Its interesting and fun, although it'd be hell for a DM to NPC one with that mechanic (unless they just go with averages).

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I LOVE THIS!

Took me a second to figure out the Psychic Talent die size for the Psi Knight (you can potentially use it every turn), but it’s REALLY COOL, and the flavor text explains why it’s a matter of mental discipline and restraint.

EDIT
Ooh! Psionic Soul Sorcerer, also cool. And so much better than another Wizard subclass!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No no no! I know people seemed psyched by the psion-thing, personally I don't like this direction. I would like to see:

1. A Psion class with a new mechanic (not just spells, more warlock/ki-oriented maybe). Use Soulknife, etc. as a base for the subclasses maybe. I don't want to see Psi-subclasses for all 12 classes.

2. Latent Psionics for any class or race much like AD&D.

I don't think we need 3 or more classes for this.

Tracking Psychic Talent die just becomes a hassle. It is also explosive in a way when you get lucky to get a larger die. How does it make sense? You roll low on a die, and the next time you have more, roll low again and you get more? I don't know, at first glance it seems a needless hassle.... And why would you randomly choose to use more or less power when making the attempt to use it. It seems like you are a psion who has little control over your ability.

Maybe further looking will reveal something worthwhile, but for right now yawn.

R_J_K75

Legend

Full disclosure I havent read any of the UA articles on psionics. Im going to wait until theyre done and official if even then. But I'd prefer them to be separate from magic. One of the things that I liked about psionics in 2E when we used them was that unless you had a wild talent or were a psionic class you had zero defense against a psionic attack. Thats what made creatures such as Mind Flayers for feared and deadly, and why Psions were so rare, when you ran into one you knew you were in trouble. Id like to see that approach again.

ccooke

Adventurer
Hello, fellow essential worker! I'm making faucets that I can't afford!

2. It shouldn't copy spells wholesale. I know, it seems kinda counterproductive with point 1, but there we are.
I do like the psionic die, though. Its interesting and fun, although it'd be hell for a DM to NPC one with that mechanic (unless they just go with averages).

Honestly, they already have a perfectly good set of tools for how a monster/NPC statblock could work with psionics. A collection of recharge-on-die-roll actions and tempo-based actions (That is: Do a lesser thing this round to set up a more powerful thing next round; I like that because the party can learn them and start to react)

Remove ads

Remove ads