Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Revisits Psionics

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“

F07971E8-C0BB-4025-A151-D48852409FCA.jpeg

G

Guest 6801328

* and Darkvision. Characters with darkvision don't have to worry about torches so much.

Honestly there are too many damned races with Darkvision. Addressing only the PHB races, If I had my druthers:
  • Elves and Half-elves would be able to see in outdoors at night (normal darkness) as if it were daytime.
  • Dwarves and half-orcs would get double the benefit of any light sources when underground. That is, a 30/60 light source would become 60/120.
  • Drow and Tieflings would (maybe?) get actual Darkvision.

I think it's fun to have to figure out light sources, and to occasionally lose them in mishaps.

So you wouldn't have a problem renaming the fighter class from fighter to wizard? I would. I think most other people would as well. Names have strong meaning. They aren't simple fluff.
You can say "I like the idea of this class that wears armour and hits monsters with a sword, but I don't think "wizard" is the best name for it" or you can say "a wizard who hits things with a sword is a terrible idea with no merit whatsoever".

It's the difference between constructive and destructive criticism. One gets you what you want and the other gets you nothing at all.

Thoughts on how this could be used, or more realistic examples?

Ok Full Disclosure.....I am not following this thread.
(The Buzz from it seems akin, to an Angry, hornets nest🌼)

Your math checks out to me, (and I as well), think this is an awesome use of psychic power.

Terrain, plays a large role in my game. Being able to jump, can sometimes be the only means to get to the fight....or get away from it.

The amount of feet that Psi-Powered leap adds to one’s High Jump is amazing. Quite literally Awesome.

A 19 Strength Fighter can do a standing High Jump of three feet. (Half of [Str modifier + 3])
Psi powered leap in your example is adding 15’ to that.👍

A 19 Strength Monk, using Step of the Wind, can standing high jump 6’.

I’ve seen monks in 5e jump to the top of a 20’ tall building, and then jump into the air and stunning blow a flying creature.

The Psi Knight can Jedi Jump, and then Action Surge.

The ability should be renamed, Murder Jump. That is how it will be used.🥳

I don't think it makes you immune to falling damage, so it would be leap 20' into the air, hit the flying dragon with action surge, than take 2d6 damage when you hit the ground.

Just realized that these rules don't allow you to start playing as a psionic character unless you're a sorcerer. This is more a problem of the subclass system, though. Still, no 1st level psychic warrior/soulknife.

Remove ads

Remove ads