Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: The Artificer Is Here! & UA Schedule Changes

Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye. Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye.

Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

Now I have a doubt. If artificer isn't in the SRD.... could a third party to publish a technomancer from Starfinder as a D&D class? For example the trapper, an artificer with primal magic who create traps to hunt or to create mutant "monster pets".

If WotC doesn't publish more classes they will be created by third parties. If WotC warns about the return of Dark Sun, Dreamscarred Press could publish a psionic handbook months previous. Maybe WotC should hire Dreamscarred Press as subcontract for the 5th Ed of psionics, incarnum and martial adepts.

Hussar

Legend
Doesn't mean they can build said spaceship. It's also a exception having that ship its basically unique. Mystara makes more sense than Greyhawk IMHO.

Not exactly unique. There are more than one crashed spaceships in Greyhawk. The Warden II crashed in Tomoachan. I'm sure there are other goodies from Dungeon or Dragon as well.

And, let's face it, an artificer can't build a spaceship either.

Greyhawk did quite a lot of genre bending. Space travel was certainly done - they went to Mars as I recall as part of the original campaign. Dragon 258 introduced "Sheens" which were tied specifically to Greyhawk. Heck, going all the way back to Dragon 17, there's a canon story where Greyhawk natives traveled to the Metamorphosis Alpha universe and back.

Like I said, there's more than enough GH material to justify an artificer.

Doesn't mean they can build said spaceship. It's also a exception having that ship its basically unique. Mystara makes more sense than Greyhawk IMHO.

Includes spoilers for The Lost Laboratory of Kwalish.
[SBLOCK]
In Lost Laboratory of Kwalish (canonically set in Greyhawk) that is pretty much exactly what happens. Kwalish discovers a crashed planar ship and uses the magi-tech he finds their becomes "one of the most powerful arcane inventors of all time", inventing the Apparatus of Kwalish, amongst other things.

Given that Lost Laboratory was released prior to this, Kwalish is stated as a wizard, but it would make more sense to stat him as an artificer. His notes, which can be recovered over the course of the adventure, could be studied to enable someone to become an artificer.

However their is a big difference between Greyhawk having one or two Artificers as a product of weird events, and Artificers being a ubiquitous part of daily life, as they are in Eberron.
[/SBLOCK]

There are two tags SBLOCK and SPOILER

Unfortunately one works in the browser, the other on the app. So you need to use both.

Here's an example. Reply to me and look at the source code to find out the exact syntax :)

Spoiler tag
[SBLOCK]
Both tags. This info is hidden no matter from where you access EN World
[/SBLOCK]
Sblock tag

Thanks.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Not exactly unique. There are more than one crashed spaceships in Greyhawk. The Warden II crashed in Tomoachan. I'm sure there are other goodies from Dungeon or Dragon as well.

So, one in Barrier Peaks, another in Blackmoor, and still another in Tomoachan? It's practically raining crashed spaceships in Greyhawk. :D

And, let's face it, an artificer can't build a spaceship either.

Greyhawk did quite a lot of genre bending. Space travel was certainly done - they went to Mars as I recall as part of the original campaign. Dragon 258 introduced "Sheens" which were tied specifically to Greyhawk. Heck, going all the way back to Dragon 17, there's a canon story where Greyhawk natives traveled to the Metamorphosis Alpha universe and back.

Like I said, there's more than enough GH material to justify an artificer.

And given that Greyhawk has Murlynd, the god of Magical Technology, artificers seem like a natural fit for those that venerate him.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
The Clockwork Mage for Zakhara was a kind of prototype for Artificer, so it fits the setting like a glove. Actually there are a few exotic mage types from Zakhara that would fit Artificer as subclasses like a glove, such as Astrologer.

Rereading the part on focuses I see that one could make a weapon such as a firearm into a focus if it has an infusion, but it's a wait until 2nd before you could do such thing.

But now I just thought of an artificer casting Cure Wounds by loading a Blunderbuss with healing powder and then shooting someone with it to heal them.
I'm just remembering Homer's "make-up gun" from "The Simpsons"...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm actually pretty sure the opposite is the case, that RAaw specifically doesn't limit what the VSM looks like for any spells. I'm certain this level of reflavoring has been advocated in the books previously, and certainly by Crawford in Sage Advise.
I really wish I could remember where the detail is. Looking at the PHB, I don't see it called out, either way, in either the Classes or Spellcasting chapters. About the best I've got is to say that it came up during a discussion on whether psions could be done as a subclass of sorcerer and related concepts. My personal feeling is that a really great version of psion could be easily achieved with a sorcerer subclass and spell points by just running with the idea that the psion "casts" firebolt by pointing at the bad guy (S) and saying "Burn, bastard!" (V). But, someone pulled out a "you've gotta use the same components" reference.

Regardless, if it's officially open to interpretation, that's awesome. I've got no problem ignoring a straight jacket like that, at my table, but I'm happier if the jacket isn't put on.

This subconversation probably qualifies as white noise, though. If I was absolutely correct about the RAW, even I would just say, "OK, that's nice. I'm ignoring it." :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads