Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: The Artificer Is Here! & UA Schedule Changes

Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye. Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye.

Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

I'd love to see something like that, though a lot of it is just...a different way to describe casting a spell, with maybe a different "does it land" mechanic and/or a change of range.

I think the way to go might be a feature that lets you use the ranges of your weapons when using your weapon as a spellcasting focus, and then focus new ammunition on things that are genuinely new?

Ideally, they'd unique stuff but I'll take "Thunderwave, but delivered from 50' away with a gun" over "Thunderwave, but just like every other class that uses Thunderwave" any day. I'm really hoping the final version doesn't just use +1 crossbows and wands that do +Int damage instead of guns or crossbows that deliver evocative effects.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
Do we know if the Homunculus/Turret can Delay an Action? I'm currently futzing around with an Alchemist and this came up @ our table. My DM (much love, EP!) was kind enough to allow my PC to use his/her Reaction to enable this.

Hussar

Legend
Do we know if the Homunculus/Turret can Delay an Action? I'm currently futzing around with an Alchemist and this came up @ our table. My DM (much love, EP!) was kind enough to allow my PC to use his/her Reaction to enable this.

Well, delay an action isn't actually a think in 5e.

Do you mean Ready an Action?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
From memory what I had down in my notes was that spell-shots weren't just for casters, these were enchanted ammo that anyone with a firearm could use.

For the spell-sniper subclass, they were able to cast spells using their weapon and their weapon range. It would deal normal weapon damage in addition to the spell damage and were able to use the weapons range. Thing is, I think in many cases, the spell could easily have a better range than the firearm.
Seems hard to balance without spending spell slots, or a hard x/day limit, but conceptually I’m into it.

Artificers already can! "After you gain the Infuse Item feature at 2nd level, you can also use any item bearing one of your infusions as a spellcasting focus." So all you need is the enhanced weapon infusion and you can use any weapon you want as your focus.
What I mean is, they shouldn’t be stuck using wands in order to benefit from their subclass traits.

Basically, a retrofitted Arcane Archer as an artificer, mixed with IK's gunmage. I could see it.
Sure, though I’d have it work quit differently so it doesn’t obviate the Arcane Archer. Also, I’d give the class some ranger spells that enhance ranged weapon attacks.

I think "Right Cantrip for the Job" does a good impression of that, it just needs to come sooner.
I actually like it where it is. I’d rather have a “tradeout 1 prepared spell” feature at lower level, and leave catnip swapping for level10

Hmmm... considering they are half-casters, perhaps that would be a good near-high level ability to replace Spell Storing item after its moved down?[/QUOTE]

The reason the "Right Cantrip" ability is level 10 is the Artillerist subclass gains a similar ability at level 6. This reflects the bard's "Spell Secrets", that all bards get at level 10, but Lore bards get at level 6.

I also suspect there is an tacit assumption that a great many Artificers will have the "Mark of Making" Dragonmark, Whose "Magecraft" ability allows them to put any wizard cantrip into an item.

This "assumption of Eberron" is also why Artillerists use wands. In (canonical, as dictated by the setting's creator) Eberron no one uses guns. Although they may use wands the size of tree trunks in order to launch city destroying fireballs.

I think perhaps more thought needs to go into how the artificer translates to other settings, with the Eberron features pushed more into the subclasses, which could be given more Eberron-specific names. What you would expect from an Eberron Artillerist is significantly different to what you would expect from a Lantan Artillerist.

Edit: It occurs to me that "Arcane Engineer" might be a better name for the subclass currently known as Artillerist, since it removes the expectation that they will be a gun class. Then the actual gun subclass (Lantanise Artillerist) is named "Cannoneer".

Last edited by a moderator:

Amir Mammadov

First Post
I'm currently playing an overly eccentric (and arguably psychopath) gnome who uses his turret as a mount. I don't know if it's possible RAW, but my DM allowed me. It's not terribly optimized, but it sure is fun.

You can Ready An Action to attack immediately after your Homunculus Helps. It costs your reaction, but gives you advantage every round.

Hussar

Legend
You can Ready An Action to attack immediately after your Homunculus Helps. It costs your reaction, but gives you advantage every round.

True, but, it would also cost you your extra attack. Advantage on a single attack is likely not as good as actually making two attacks.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
You raise a great point, [MENTION=6812658]Seramus[/MENTION]. My PC is a Fighter (Samurai) 3/Artificer (Alchemist) 3, so being able to save my 3 Fighting Spirits for emergencies is a huge plus. With my Infused "katana" (longsword) + Great Weapon style I'd probably prefer the Advantage with that Attack over the Acidic Spittle my lil Homunculus spits, but it's always situational. Another shout-out to [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] for a very valid counter-argument. Thanks, y'all!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads