• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Weiley31

Legend
Based on looking at various Raves with Powerful Build, WotC is not treating it like a Ribbon in their cost analysis.
Truuuuuuue but at least Hippo Build is a better version of it. Plus Powerful Build is part of the same club that is composed of it, Natural Weapons, and Dark Vision.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@doctorbadwolf Weren't we talking about giving the warforged a similar feature as the autognome's?
Yeah, it's the only way to have playable constructs in 5e, tbh. I really like the mending fix.
I liked the Elan though from 3E/3.5 and also like the idea of playing an Aberration that is trying to spy on the material plane. cue the Rime of the Frostmaiden Secrets subsystem.
Fair enough, I just don't like the idea of aberrations being...anything other than vastly more different from anything else in the multiverse than like...warforged and bees are different from eachother, or something. I'd be more okay with playable fiends than playable aberrations, personally.
What actual effect does having legs or not having legs have on Plasmoids?
Magic footwear, mostly.
Is it me or the Giff seem reeeally underpowered compared to the other (great) options offered?
I agree.
Hmm, in regards to the Astral Elf, I noticed Fey Ancestry is lacking the "Immune to magical sleep" part of elves.

Oversight or a slight stealth nerf errata to Fey Ancestry?
Or just a different take for this race.

Mercurius

Legend
I have not read the whole UA, but I can fairly say it is not this. This UA's races are pretty firmly Spelljammer/Star Frontiers related. I wouldn't say any of the races here are related to Planescape, and some would feel out-of-place in Sigil.

Definitely seems specific to Spelljammer, despite the "Multiverse" name used here (though I'm sure it's just used to avoid spoiling Spelljammer before it's actually announced).

So the question really is, this for an adventure, or a new setting book?

I'm leaning adventure, or at least a hybrid like Strixhaven sort-of is. Definitely makes sense for that alternative Boo cover.
I'm talking more in general. I don't see how a single UA somehow limits the scope of what they plan going forward, or how they'll treat the planes/multiverse in general. I mean, this isn't the last UA, and they don't share absolutely everything.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
It's like I don't care about nothing man...
Roll another blunt...
Ooohh
La da da da la da da la la da da
I was gonna be part of the Elven Navy until I got high
I was gonna put on my silver plate mail but then I got high
I can't even fly my spelljammer and I know why (why man?)
'Cause I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high
Now we have proof Snarf is secretly a Bard

Bolares

Hero
Halfling luck for attack roles?? They may be less flavorful or evocative, but they might be mechanically the most potent. Also, 30 foot Swim speed has...applications.
I don't know... the bigger the damage die, the less probable it is to roll a 1, the smaller the die, less damage you will do it at average... At the same time, the elf gets (almost) deathward, the thri-kreen gets to be a dual wielder with a shiel (light weapon and shiled in the main hands and light weapon on the smaller hand) all while having a free hand for casting, and the ooze has.... a lot.

Remove ads

Remove ads