Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Going to quote you out of order

In the end, what I am really trying to say is that one sorcery point coming directly from the sorcery pool is cheaper than one sorcery point coming from a first level spell slot. It is self-evident, as the spell slots only return sorcery points on a one-by-one ratio, but to create slots from the sorcery points the cost is higher, isn't it?
Yes, a sorcery point coming from the pool is cheaper than the point coming from a slot. I will agree to that. But, I don’t see why it should cost so much to make slots. As it is, I’ve never seen and frankly can’t think if I’ve heard of people changing points into slots. Not because metamagic is so good, but because the cost is too high. You don’t get enough value making slots to make it worthwhile, which cuts into what they can do per day.
I see people claiming that sorcerers and wizards have the same daily resources, but when you peel back that first level, it is frankly not true.

If you were playing a wizard and, instead of being given arcane recovery you were given an arcane pool the same size as the sorcerer, that you can only use to create spell slots, would you feel it was a nerf or an upgrade to the wizard? Now, if you add to this pool the possibility to do something else, such as to enable metamagic, would it again be a nerf, because now you will need to share this resource between different functionalities? If you could use your arcane recovery to do something else, anything else that you could find useful, would that be worse for you because now you may be compromising your ability to recover spell slots?

If I only replaced the Wizard’s arcane recovery with a pool of points, it would clearly be an upgrade.
If that pool, which only replaced arcane recovery, could also be used to alter spells, it would be an even better upgrade.

Would you want that pool of points at the cost of your spellbook, 3/4 of all your spells ever known, ritual casting, and nerfing half your subclass features? IS that pool of points worth all that?

That’s the kicker, that’s the comparison. Yes, Font of Magic in isolation is slightly better than Arcane recovery. It had better be, because the sorcerer is gimped at every turn by the access to metamagic that this represents. They get fewer spells, fewer ways to cast spells, fewer ways to learn spells, and fewer abilities outside those spells, than almost any other full caster. Because they have metamagic.

And the Lore wizard gets better metamagic than they do at level 6. Hell, they get really good metamagic at level 2, before the Sorcerer even starts getting any metamagic. Without sacrificing any of those base class features.

Yes, spending those spell slots is a cost. It may even be slightly more expensive than the sorcerers, but they are flat out better. Sorcerer takes empower and Heighten as their two metamagics

A sorcerer uses empower on a fireball. They can reroll 4-5 dice of damage, hopefully getting a higher result. This costs 1 point.
Wizard spends a 1st level slot, and their fireball does an automatic 2d10 extra force damage to every target in the fireball.

Sorcerer heightens the Fireball, giving one creature within it disadvantage.
Wizard spends an additional 3rd level slot, increasing the DC by 2 for every single creature in the spell. Equivalent to giving them all a -2 on their save.

Wizard can also change the element
Wizard can also make the fireball target Intelligence or Charisma
Wizard can also cast the fireball from a mile away.

Now yes, my sorcerer probably chose Quicken and Twin instead, and these abilities can’t do that, but does that excuse the wizard, who was already superior to the sorcerer, getting better metamagic when we look at the equivalent abilities?

Yes, it may be slightly more expensive for them, but since Arcane Recovery is roughly equivalent to the Sorcerers entire pool of points, they are awfully close to having the system. And the Wizard has the better version, and all the options and utility that make them a wizard in the first place.

As to sorcery point abilities being the minority. Dragon sorcerer is 2/5ths if you count the ribbon of speaking draconic and expertise with talking with dragons. Otherwise it is 50%. Wild is 1/5, but 3/5 of their stuff is tied up with the wild surge mechanic, which is 5% chance even with a lenient DM.

And that is if we decouple metamagic from spellcasting, which is difficult to do, since metamagic does nothing without the spell casting, and base sorcerer is Spellcasting, Metamagic, and ability score improvements.

Look, I am not really comparing the whole of the both classes, but I am trying to gauge the price of the lore master "metamagic" with the sorcerer's. This is what I was originally aiming at, and it seemed that, as spell slots and sorcery pool are the resources that enable both features, and both sorcery pool and arcane recovery impact spell slots, they should be part of the comparison. How should I proceed? I definitely do not agree that 1 lvl 1 spell = 1 sorcery spell point. The way spell slots are created from sorcery points seem to back me up. If you think they are, I would be very pleased if you could share your thoughts about it.

If I was playing a sorcerer and was given the option of joining all my sorcery points and my spell levels into one big pool, just by adding the totality of both, and then I could choose to use this pool (the same number) as either a pool of spell levels that I can convert to sorcery points via sorcerer rules or a pool of sorcery points that I can convert to spell levels also using the sorcerer rules, I am pretty sure to which side I would be on. This is also why, if ever, somebody would just add the sorcery points to the total spell points in the DMG, this would have a significant impact on how much a sorcerer can (ab)use metamagics. It also makes self-evident that draining this same pool of one "sorcery point" definitely does not equal draining this pool of one level one spell.

Moreover, the lore master will not benefit of any other wizard tradition, right?

EDIT - Just to make myself more clear, I am not arguing whether this new tradition is fully balanced. I don't even know if I like wizards doing metamagic-like stuff in this edition. Moreover I have already expressed that I am displeased by options such as elemental substitution. I did not comment on the save-changer feature before, but for me this is the lowest spot of the whole package, as it distorts in very acrobatic ways the in-game fiction. All I wanted was to point out that the way some features were being compared (namely the prices between the metamagic-like features, given by alchemical casting, and the sorcerer metamagic) seemed inappropriate, or unfair.

And I see this after typing all that. This is what I get for not being as active.

I’ve heard rolling Spell Points and Sorcerery Points into a big pot is a good fix for Sorcerer, but I’ve never seen it in practice.

Maybe comparing a 1st level spell to 1 sorcerery point is a little unfair. I’ll admit that I am not rational about this right now. I’ve advocated for improving the sorcerer a lot, and been shot down a lot, and seeing this Lore Wizard has put me a little over the edge.

However, the cost of the point depends on the direction. If a single 1st level slot is worth more than 1 sorcery point, then why is that all I get when I burn my precious slot? If the slot is worth less, then why does it cost me 2 precious points to make one, and also the Wizard is getting a tremendous deal in their metamagic, getting a lower price for a better usage. They set up this asymmetrical system, and depending on which resource you value, colors how you see it. Either answer seems bad, which is a problem.

I should have said sorcery points, not metamagic. You get more slots than base casters based on sorcery points. Full stop. The sorcer can use these extra slots for metamagic. The wizard has base slots, he must use those to get some metamagic. X(base caster) + Y (sorcery points) > X(base caster) - Z(lore sacrificing slots). So on that score, sorcerer wins (more slots, more metamagic options)

This is only true if you completely ignore Arcane Recovery and Ritual Casting.
Yes, I’m aware my sorcerer could take a feat and get a weaker version (because it is fewer spells and costs money to get more) of Ritual Caster.

However, let’s assume I don’t do that. The wizard can ritual cast anything he needs for utility, meaning he doesn’t spend those slots, and Arcane Recovery (as we’ve been discussing) is nearly equivalent to the extra slots sorcerery points can create.

X (base Caster) + Y (Q(sorcery points for slots) -M ( actually using metamagic)) ≤ X(base Caster)+ V(ritual casting) + C (Arcane Recovery) – Z(lore sacrificing slots)

Lore can swap energy type. That is powerful, I agree, but I think in practice its not as great as it might seem. *IF* you (as a caster) only have one energy type prepared, and *IF* you encounter a creature(s) resistant/immune to that type, then it matters.

1/rest switching a stat for saves? Again, pretty awesome. 1 per rest. But realistically, if I am targeting a good stat (say con for brute) I swap to a dump stat for a brute (dex, eg). What is that? +5 vs -2 at the most extreme? In a way its like 1/rest Disadvantage to a save. Not huge by any means.

So… if you have a damage that doesn’t work, or you know a damage that is more powerful, you can use it. How is that not as powerful as it seems? Sure, there will be times when it is pure flavor to use any damage type, but it costs you nothing, and can allow you to hit Vulnerable damage types.

As for the save, if -7 to a roll for all creatures within it isn’t huge, then first of all, I want you to talk to the poor bard who can only begin reaching those numbers with cutting words by 5th level is he’s lucky against a single creature, by 15th I think he can hit those penalties regularly.
Then I’ll direct you to the Ancient White, where changing their save from Con (+14) to Int (+0) is a difference of -14 to the roll. Or perhaps Feeblemind a Lich, but make it a strength save, making go from +12 with advantage to +0 with advantage. Is -12 big enough to make this 1/day ability a huge deal?

Sure, over the normal course of low level adventuring, it is “only” a -7 to whatever save you’d like the enemy to make, but it gets better, not worse, as time goes on.

I think the "Lore master OP" argument is really a "Sorcerer kinda sucks" argument. Let's face it, with the way spell slots/spells known/spells prepared works now, it took away a lot of what made the sorcerer: spontaneous casting. To compensate they took metamagic from all casters and gave it to the sorcerer. Now people are upset because there is a wizard who can sort of do metamgic (among other things).

The truth is, the "problem" is the sorcerer. Has been since day 1 of 5E. They know it. It's why we have half a dozen or so variants...I don't see Lore wizard OP to any class, and all the "But sorcerer..." arguments is a sorcerer problem.

And yet, try and argue that the sorcerer needs fixing, and you are told how powerful they are and what an immense benefit the ability to alter your spells are.

Don’t try to play them as damage dealers, they are buffers and debuffers. Don’t worry about limited damage types, you only need 3 damage spells at all times anyways, and if those don’t work…. Well, you’re a member of a party aren’t you, you can’t think you can do it all.

Then, we get this wizard. It’s kind of a “straw that broke the camel’s patience” sort of story

You can only switch saving throws once per long rest. Without meta gaming, you have to know what the enemy is resistant to and then switch. Beyond that, it's not a big deal.
How much metagaming is needed to know that the enemy cleric, who looks sickly and weak, has a lower Con score than Wisdom score?

A lot of the basic spread of enemy stats is self-evident, no metagame required. Also, kind of hard to prevent anyways, unless you plan on trying to shame the player for choosing the monsters weak stat.

As much as I hate to say it, the one-handed Hexblade is actually pretty bad. It's not weak, but rather bad in terms of design.

A one-handed hexblade will *always* do more damage with eldritch blast, unless it spends invocations to get a +1 pact weapon. Even then, it will fall behind until level 9. The Hound feature at level six is far more useful for Eldritch Blast than melee. The Hex feature you get at level 1 works with Eldritch blast.

I'm not against a charisma based melee build, but in its current form one-handed Hexblade is better as a dip for a bard or paladin, and bad as a solo option.

I think the best way to handle this would be to make a separate invocation available at level 2, which allows the Hexblade to make Charisma attacks with its pact weapon, but only if its one-handed. Add an additional rider to it so it can "smite" like the other blade pact invocations, or give it some additional effect so that it won't be perpetually inferior to Eldritch Blast.

Make it so the level 6 feature also makes charisma-based weapon attacks attacks deal an additional 2 damage to the target(like the Duelist fighting style).

On that note, the Hexblade spell list is just awful. It should focus less on weapon buffs(which almost never stack and work poorly with existing features), and focus far more on debuffs and control effects, that make it feel like a master of curses. I'd like to see it gain Bestow Curse, Blindness/Deafness, Heat Metal, and a few other choice gems that make it good at screwing with its enemies.

Wouldn’t an easier fix to the Hexblade be making the Curse only work with Melee attacks?

This way, the Eldritch Blast Warlock has no incentive to go for Hexblade, and the Hexblade can focus on creating the melee build they want. If they want a 1d10+cha attack, then can just forgo the shield and use versatile weapons. IF they want the Ac from the shield, they drop down to 1d8. Then as they get higher level, especially as a bladelock, they can begin adding enough mods to the damage to overtake Eldritch blast.

For me, the key is that Eldritch Blast is a poor choice for melee, disadvantage, and I just want the bladelock/ Hexbladelock to be closer to Rangers or rogues in melee. Not to neccesarily beat out Eldritch blast, which is frankly the best ranged damage option for an at-will character in the entire game. Nothing beats it outside of full spells. It really is just an immensely powerful cantrip, and I’d worry about trying to rebalance a melee character to match it, when you just aren’t going to be able to without making a melee character better than the current options.

Garresh

First Post
Changing it so it only applies in melee would not be enough, as that's a 1/rest ability. The free armor proficiency and the hound with no cooldown still work just as well with Eldritch Blast. You'd need to nerf several things to lower eldritch blast below melee combat, and even then the one handed style is inferior to the Two handed invocation. Its easier and better to buff the one handed style since it is inferior to eldritch blast or two handed.

Dualazi

First Post
I should have said sorcery points, not metamagic. You get more slots than base casters based on sorcery points. Full stop. The sorcer can use these extra slots for metamagic. The wizard has base slots, he must use those to get some metamagic. X(base caster) + Y (sorcery points) > X(base caster) - Z(lore sacrificing slots). So on that score, sorcerer wins (more slots, more metamagic options)

Whelp, someone has likely beaten me to the punch already, but for what it's worth, no, the sorcerer doesn't get more slots than wizards, full stop. You can check the player's handbook, they have the exact same spell slots per level progression.

As many others have pointed out, sorcery points are scarce, and they have to be split between metamagic and increased spell usage. At level 20, a sorcerer can get 10 1st level spells back, or 2 5th level spells and a 2nd level, with numerous other sundry combinations available.

You know what the wizard gets? Arcane recovery. A 20th level wizard can get back 10 levels worth of spell slots 1/day after a short rest. This gives a negligible advantage at the high end (the sorcerer is up 1 2nd level spell over the wizard) and they're tied at 1st level spells. Effectively, the sorcerer has no advantage over the wizard and he has to use all of his primary resource to do so.

This is why this subclass is really a death knell for the sorcerer as-is; because the wizard gets all those spell slots back as the result of a single class feature, with all his other resources untouched, while the sorcerer has to dump all of his entire central class feature into trying to equal the wizard's mileage. If the wizard is now more flexible with his individual spells as well, then why even bring a sorcerer?

Lore can swap energy type. That is powerful, I agree, but I think in practice its not as great as it might seem. *IF* you (as a caster) only have one energy type prepared, and *IF* you encounter a creature(s) resistant/immune to that type, then it matters.

It baffles me that it escapes people how broken this is. Naturally some of the highest damage spells like fireball and lightning bolt (which are both above the curve for their level) have only one fixed damage type, and this means you can prepare those spells all damn day, because who cares if a red dragon shows up? Your spells are still 100% effective with no resource expenditure whatsoever. Functionally this is means there's no way to reduce the incoming damage of the wizard unless the target has resistance to all elemental damage.

Basically this reduces the planning a wizard has to do with their prepared spells by an unparalleled amount, since they can pack a few generalist damage spells and simply rely on those forever with their incredible flexibility.

1/rest switching a stat for saves? Again, pretty awesome. 1 per rest. But realistically, if I am targeting a good stat (say con for brute) I swap to a dump stat for a brute (dex, eg). What is that? +5 vs -2 at the most extreme? In a way its like 1/rest Disadvantage to a save. Not huge by any means.

Advantage has typically been held to be worth around +4-5 based on several factors, so a 7 point shift is already better than it. Additionally, if the enemy had advantage on the save (such as with magic resistance) then the lowest you could get it is a neutral roll. This option doesn't deal with advantage, so it's good no matter what and can stack with any disadvantage your team imposes.

An adult red dragon has a 7 point difference between its dex save and its con save, and the ancient swings even further with a 9 point difference. Remember also this has synergy with the free metamagic they have, and they can increase the DC further by 2.

As to sorcery point abilities being the minority. Dragon sorcerer is 2/5ths if you count the ribbon of speaking draconic and expertise with talking with dragons. Otherwise it is 50%. Wild is 1/5, but 3/5 of their stuff is tied up with the wild surge mechanic, which is 5% chance even with a lenient DM.

Nitpick: with a lenient DM, wild surge is approximately 100% thanks to Tides of Chaos.

With a stingy DM, wild surge is 0%.

Barolo

First Post
@Chaosmancer, Sorry for my lack of communication skills. I will try to improve.

Going to quote you out of order

Yes, a sorcery point coming from the pool is cheaper than the point coming from a slot. I will agree to that. But, I don’t see why it should cost so much to make slots. As it is, I’ve never seen and frankly can’t think if I’ve heard of people changing points into slots. Not because metamagic is so good, but because the cost is too high. You don’t get enough value making slots to make it worthwhile, which cuts into what they can do per day.
I see people claiming that sorcerers and wizards have the same daily resources, but when you peel back that first level, it is frankly not true.

From your post you seem to get what I was really aiming at. Right up, bolded.

As to why it should cost more to make slots, I am not sure if it should, but the way I see it, font of magic gives a lot of flexibility to how a sorcerer can use their spell slots and sorcery points, and I consider this an advantage. If there was no cost at all involved in the conversion, a sorcerer could basically function as a spell-point caster while all the other casters are restrained by slots, and spell points are a stronger option, in my point of view, so for me it makes sense that some tradeoff should be in place.

Would you want that pool of points at the cost of your spellbook, 3/4 of all your spells ever known, ritual casting, and nerfing half your subclass features? IS that pool of points worth all that?

When you say "pool" you are actually implying "pool plus metamagic", right? And that is versus everything else you just pointed out plus arcane recovery. And maybe the sorcerer is irredeemably weaker than the wizard, but I can never be sure. Every time I watch a 5th level sorcerer twining haste, it really looks awesome. This "breaks" a lot of common limitations imposed on everybody else, like being able to cast two spells at the cost of one action (action surge is even better, but only one class has access to it), or being able to maintain concentration in two targets at once (which nobody else can), or even just converting 3 sorcery points into a third level slot, which is doubly as efficient as arcane recovery ever is.

That’s the kicker, that’s the comparison. Yes, Font of Magic in isolation is slightly better than Arcane recovery. It had better be, because the sorcerer is gimped at every turn by the access to metamagic that this represents. They get fewer spells, fewer ways to cast spells, fewer ways to learn spells, and fewer abilities outside those spells, than almost any other full caster. Because they have metamagic.

Fully agree.

And the Lore wizard gets better metamagic than they do at level 6. Hell, they get really good metamagic at level 2, before the Sorcerer even starts getting any metamagic. Without sacrificing any of those base class features.

Also, fully agree.

Yes, spending those spell slots is a cost. It may even be slightly more expensive than the sorcerers, but they are flat out better. Sorcerer takes empower and Heighten as their two metamagics

A sorcerer uses empower on a fireball. They can reroll 4-5 dice of damage, hopefully getting a higher result. This costs 1 point.
Wizard spends a 1st level slot, and their fireball does an automatic 2d10 extra force damage to every target in the fireball.

Sorcerer heightens the Fireball, giving one creature within it disadvantage.
Wizard spends an additional 3rd level slot, increasing the DC by 2 for every single creature in the spell. Equivalent to giving them all a -2 on their save.

Now, you got my original point. You may even go back there and check that I stated I was neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the evaluation of the abilities themselves. Are they better? Maybe they are, I was not commenting on their quality in the first place. What I wanted to point out was that the price is not the same. I know it sounds pedantic, but to undervalue the costs of those abilities does hurt the whole comparison. For some people it hurts less (even reaching irrelevance), but for some, more.

Wizard can also change the element
Wizard can also make the fireball target Intelligence or Charisma
Wizard can also cast the fireball from a mile away.

Fully agree.

Now yes, my sorcerer probably chose Quicken and Twin instead, and these abilities can’t do that, but does that excuse the wizard, who was already superior to the sorcerer, getting better metamagic when we look at the equivalent abilities?

Just don't neglect the fact that so far the discussion is revolving around the whole of the wizard (class + subclass) being compared to the basic chassis of the sorcerer, without subclasses. And while I do agree the wizard subclasses seem to carry much more oomph, even to the point of delivering they power with less levels worth of abilities, this lore master is, in fact, giving up all the awesome features of some wizard subclass.

Yes, it may be slightly more expensive for them, but since Arcane Recovery is roughly equivalent to the Sorcerers entire pool of points, they are awfully close to having the system. And the Wizard has the better version, and all the options and utility that make them a wizard in the first place.

I really don't think Arcane recovery is roughly equivalent to the sorcery pool point. It is only equivalent when the sorcery pool is used in its most inefficient way, i.e. to create 1st level slots. To create slots of other levels, it fares around 30% better, and metamagics are usually the efficient way to use them, with twining being twice as efficient when compared to arcane recovery. I unfortunately can't think of how to compare the other metamagic effects relative cost, though.

Well, if you count the dragon's 6th level ability as two different ones, as they are independent from each other, then it goes back to 2/5. The wild sorcerer varies a lot on each gaming table. In mine, the wild-magic player definitely does not feel like he only has one subclass feature. And as far as I can remember, the storm, which is already officially published, has none.

And that is if we decouple metamagic from spellcasting, which is difficult to do, since metamagic does nothing without the spell casting, and base sorcerer is Spellcasting, Metamagic, and ability score improvements.

Sure.

And I see this after typing all that. This is what I get for not being as active.

Sorry, I guess I am dazing and confusing.

I’ve heard rolling Spell Points and Sorcerery Points into a big pot is a good fix for Sorcerer, but I’ve never seen it in practice.

I am not sure if this "fixes" anything, but definitely adds power to them.

Maybe comparing a 1st level spell to 1 sorcerery point is a little unfair. I’ll admit that I am not rational about this right now. I’ve advocated for improving the sorcerer a lot, and been shot down a lot, and seeing this Lore Wizard has put me a little over the edge.

I sympathise with you about this whole wizard stealing the sorcerer thing here, even though I don't share the feeling sorcerers need improvements.

However, the cost of the point depends on the direction. If a single 1st level slot is worth more than 1 sorcery point, then why is that all I get when I burn my precious slot? If the slot is worth less, then why does it cost me 2 precious points to make one, and also the Wizard is getting a tremendous deal in their metamagic, getting a lower price for a better usage. They set up this asymmetrical system, and depending on which resource you value, colors how you see it. Either answer seems bad, which is a problem.

As I posted before, I believe this is related to the benefit of flexibility. The slot is definitely worth more, but the sorcerer is taxed by breaking it, making the pool extendable, but at a cost.

All in all, it doesn't even seem to me we are in much of a disagreement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barolo

First Post
But you are, you can't make comparisons between the cost of different things without taking context and the whole into account. There is such a thing as opportunity cost and making apples to apples comparison.

If we are to compare the lore master with the sorcerer and the lore master has to burn up spell slots to use some of their "metamagics" while the sorcerer uses either their sorcery pool or burn spell slots, then it seemed to me relevant to try to gauge the cost that each option represents. It can be an error of mine to try to do that while not scrutinizing the rest of both classes abilities, but I guess it is still fair, as spell slots at least seem to have similar worthiness for everybody, as hinted by multiclass rules.

My thoughts are that the sorcerer's conversion from sorcery points to spell slots and vice versa was designed to be inefficient and, more importantly, designed specifically for the sorcerer chassis, not the wizard. If we want to talk about giving the Wizard sorcery points and such, I suppose we can do so, but I'm sort of at a loss at why I would ever play a sorcerer if that were the case. Of course, there is the optional magic point system in the DMG, but even that does not convert the top level spells into pure points and limits them into a once a long rest usage pattern.

Wouldn't in reality the conversion from spell slots to sorcery points be the inefficient one, while on the other direction the costs are "right"? The optional spell point rules from the DMG follow the same pattern as slot creation from the sorcerer "font of magic" feature, which seems to back up my position.

And I should beg, don't be at a loss. I never suggested the wizard should get sorcery points, if it seemed that way, I am sorry, my fault in communication.

That may be so, but I would find such a system a tad too convoluted for my taste. YMMV

I am not sure I got your point here.

Yes, that is correct. And when I win the lottery and retire, I will no longer draw my weekly pay check. Please try to contain your sympathy for my dilemma.

Look I know you are not making the argument that this sub-class is balanced, but I think you are ignoring a lot of context in making a direct, cross class comparison from sorcery points to wizard spell slots. The wizard does not have sorcery points, so the only other remotely fungible currency they can offer (without grafting a whole new sub-system onto a sub-class or using Hit Points, which opens up whole new can of worms) is spell slots. And a level one slot is the smallest denomination that currency has to offer. Is this the same as a sorcery point? Don't know, but I don't think it is as simple as converting from dollars to pounds to euros; or the formulae for doing so is a bit more complex. The Sorcerer pays for the privilege of using sorcery points by having a limited spell list, a very curtailed number of spells known, and the lack of the ability to cast ritual spells without spending a spell slot (if said spell happens to be on their list). If we were to count the various Sorcerer & Wizard sub-class features as a wash, that is a somewhat hefty price to pay for the privilege. Until wizards start paying a similar price, I find the comparison of 1 sorcery point to 1 level one wizard slot kind of spurious.

I don't know what is your dilemma. What I know is that more often than not the wizard subclasses are praised, and this is yet another wizard subclass. It is more flexible in the way it uses its benefits than the other traditions, which are specializations and so it seems to make sense, but some of these new benefits come at a cost, namely spell slots, in a similar way as to how sorcerers expend sorcery points to activate metamagics. And that last feature (with its subsequent comparisons) is what I was trying to address.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Nice idea for the Wizard, but somewhat wonky on the game balance...

My fix for this below;

SPELL SECRETS

At 2nd level, you master the first in a series of arcane secrets uncovered by your extensive studies.

When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell deals acid, cold, fire, force, lightning or thunder damage, you can substitute that damage type with one other type from that list (you can change only one damage type per casting of a spell). You replace one energy type for another by altering the spell’s formula as you cast it.

When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell requires a saving throw, you can change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice of the same type. Damaging spell saves can be changed to a Str, Con or Dex save, and non-damaging spell saves can be changed to an Int, Wis or Cha save.

Once you change a damage type or a saving throw in this way, you can’t make the same change again until you finish a short or long rest.

AUGMENTED CASTING

At 6th level, you learn to augment spells in a variety of ways. When you cast a spell with a spell slot, you can expend one additional spell slot to augment its effects for this casting, mixing the raw stuff of magic into your spell to amplify it. Expending the additional spell slot in this way requires the use of a bonus action.

The effect depends on the spell slot you expend.

An additional 1st-level spell slot can increase the spell’s raw destructive power. If you roll damage for the spell when you cast it, increase the damage per dice by +2. Damage is of the same type as the base spell. If the spell can deal damage on more than one turn, it deals this extra damage only on the turn you cast the spell.

An additional 2nd-level spell slot can increase the spell’s range. If the spell’s range is at least 30 feet, it becomes 300ft.

An additional 3rd-level spell slot can increase the spell’s potency. Increase the spell’s save DC by 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads