Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Titanium Mage

First Post
I don't like it. (The lore wizard). This is clearly an example of the double standard designers have when it comes to sorcerers and wizards.

- Give an element switch metamagic to sorcerers, "Oh no that would be overpowered and we cannot have that".

- Give an element switch option to wizards, "Of course you can do it, hey let's make it at-will while you are at it"

- To Sorcerer "Metamagic is quite strong, that is why it has to be limited to a few times a day and you need to wait many levels to have more than two"

- To wizard "here have free better empower, free better extend and free better heighten , all at the same time!! No need to wait until 10+ levels to have five unique metamagic-lite"

Wizardshavetogiveupspellsslotsinordertogetthebenefits.Sorcerershavetousepointsforitsotheydontloseanyspells.

Titanium Mage

First Post
I don't like it. (The lore wizard). This is clearly an example of the double standard designers have when it comes to sorcerers and wizards.

- Give an element switch metamagic to sorcerers, "Oh no that would be overpowered and we cannot have that".

- Give an element switch option to wizards, "Of course you can do it, hey let's make it at-will while you are at it"

- To Sorcerer "Metamagic is quite strong, that is why it has to be limited to a few times a day and you need to wait many levels to have more than two"

- To wizard "here have free better empower, free better extend and free better heighten , all at the same time!! No need to wait until 10+ levels to have five unique metamagic-lite"

Wizards have to give up spells in order to use these abilities. This means that if the wizard is not careful, they can run out of spells.

Titanium Mage

First Post
Charisma is not just charm in D&D, it is also, if not moreso, somethin akin to strength of will / presence. Orcus has a Cha of 25 and it is not because of his social graces.
I think it's fine the way it is. I think this is a general wizard that should be able to change things up a little bit. Just about every other class was given a lot of extra options for players to use while wizards only got one really good extra option.

Titanium Mage

First Post
Loremaster is broken. Level 2 ability to consistently target an enemy with their most disadvantageous saving throw using your most powerful spell and avoid resistances by switching damage types is just OP.
You can only switch saving throws once per long rest. Without meta gaming, you have to know what the enemy is resistant to and then switch. Beyond that, it's not a big deal.

Titanium Mage

First Post
I should have said sorcery points, not metamagic. You get more slots than base casters based on sorcery points. Full stop. The sorcer can use these extra slots for metamagic. The wizard has base slots, he must use those to get some metamagic. X(base caster) + Y (sorcery points) > X(base caster) - Z(lore sacrificing slots). So on that score, sorcerer wins (more slots, more metamagic options)

Lore can swap energy type. That is powerful, I agree, but I think in practice its not as great as it might seem. *IF* you (as a caster) only have one energy type prepared, and *IF* you encounter a creature(s) resistant/immune to that type, then it matters.

1/rest switching a stat for saves? Again, pretty awesome. 1 per rest. But realistically, if I am targeting a good stat (say con for brute) I swap to a dump stat for a brute (dex, eg). What is that? +5 vs -2 at the most extreme? In a way its like 1/rest Disadvantage to a save. Not huge by any means.
You can also use Portent to give the brute a bad role. Depending on how many bad dice one has, this can be done twice or even three times per day.

Titanium Mage

First Post
Font of Magic means Spell Points should be considered spells. Not 1 for 1, obviously. But it's fundamentally the same resource.
But you are adding these on top of the already full spell progression that sorcerers get. Wizards have to give up their regular spells slots while sorcerers do not.

ambroseji

Explorer
But you are adding these on top of the already full spell progression that sorcerers get. Wizards have to give up their regular spells slots while sorcerers do not.

Not really. Both Sorc and Wizard have the same spell progression. Sorcs get Font of Magic, Wizards get Arcane recovery.

At 6th level, a sorc has 6 points, which could be: 3 1st-level spells, 2 2nd-level spells, or a 3rd-level spell with 1 SP left over. A 6th level wizard could get: 3 1st level spell, a 1st and a 2nd level spell, or a 3rd level spell. Sorcerer comes out *slightly* ahead.

Although sorcs are a little bit more efficient, I maintain that SPs do equate Spell Slots for the purpose of analyzing resource cost.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads