Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I wouldn't mind seeing that they had to prepare the modified versions ahead of time and they cost a higher slot but at the same effect level. So for example, to prepare a spell with a different element it must be cast at a minimum slot of it's level +1 and you calculate it's effect at a level of slot -1. So cold ball has to be cast at a minimum of a 4th level spell, but when calculating the damage it is considered a 3rd level spell. If you cast it as a 5th level spell the damage is at 4th level.

This allows a wizard to adjust their spells but still gives per-eminance to the sorcerer who can alter spells on the fly.
If forcing the wizard to prepare the altered spell ahead of time, I don't think it is a good idea to require a higher level spell slot as well, it's too punishing.

pdegan2814

First Post
If forcing the wizard to prepare the altered spell ahead of time, I don't think it is a good idea to require a higher level spell slot as well, it's too punishing.

I would agree, and I lean more towards the "must prepare ahead of time" requirement, it's more in character for a Wizard. Burning a higher level slot to change it on the fly feels too much like a Sorcerer's Metamagic, which is my biggest problem with the Lore Master. Too much of it feels like a Wizard trying to be a Sorcerer. The skill bonus and Int for Initiative are fine. Switching damage I could be ok with if you had to prepare the altered version, though it still feels OP(Make all your spells deal Force damage and say "F U resistances & immunities!"? They really want to allow that?). Same with Alchemical Casting, it feels too Metamagic-y. Prodigious memory is fine. Master Of Magic I feel like someone's gonna come along and turn that into a gamebreaker.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin

Well, not for the element switch. But for Save shift? For Better Empower? For Better Heighten? Those would have to be both prepared ahead of time and need a higher level slot.

Maybe not go with fire and forget, but Indeed I would cap the amount of element shifted spells at Int bonus.

There's no disadvantage with a staff. It works with polearm master and a shield.

IMO:
Level 1: You can use Cha to-hit, but still use Str/Dex for damage.

Invocation: Life Thirsting blade
You gain proficiency in martial weapons. At level 5 you can multi-attack. At level 11 you can add +Cha to your damage.
I could live with charisma to hit. But the paladin also gets charisma as a to hit bonus at level 3... it just aligns too well...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using EN World mobile app

zaratan

First Post
I could live with charisma to hit. But the paladin also gets charisma as a to hit bonus at level 3... it just aligns too well...

Is just devotion, the less picked subclass, that gives that, burn one action and just for 1 minute.

Paladins with powerful two hand weapon don't get the Cha use, staff with polearm master or the one hand don't get the 2d8invocations. If you want the 2d8 invocatiins you don't get Cha to attack. No one use flail or mace in this edition, so nice they think about that, the small race can ubersmite in melee too, or pick hexblade and use cha with any weapon. Crossbow experts can't use moon bow... well this at the end looks preatty balanced. Restricted, but balanced.
My only objection is about moon bow that doesn't work with lightbow, there's no option to a small archer with 2d8invocations. And half or the archers races are small.

Is just devotion, the less picked subclass, that gives that, burn one action and just for 1 minute.

Paladins with powerful two hand weapon don't get the Cha use, staff with polearm master or the one hand don't get the 2d8invocations. If you want the 2d8 invocatiins you don't get Cha to attack. No one use flail or mace in this edition, so nice they think about that, the small race can ubersmite in melee too, or pick hexblade and use cha with any weapon. Crossbow experts can't use moon bow... well this at the end looks preatty balanced. Restricted, but balanced.
My only objection is about moon bow that doesn't work with lightbow, there's no option to a small archer with 2d8invocations. And half or the archers races are small.
Sorry. I can't be convinced otherwise here... i am strictly against cha to hit and damage at level 1 at no cost.

Garresh

First Post
Sorry. I can't be convinced otherwise here... i am strictly against cha to hit and damage at level 1 at no cost.

I think most people are. It needs to be an invocation available to Hexblades at level 3 once they get Pact of the Blade. It would be best as a level 3 invocation that lets them use Cha for one handed weapons, and allows them to attach some additional rider as well so it has some oomph to it. Something like Cha to one-handed weapons, and when they hit someone they can spend a bonus action to lower their speed by half, or give them disadvantage on their next attack. Mini-hexes basically like the kind you see on cantrips so it incentivizes them to fight in melee and makes it stand apart from Eldritch Blast spam.

Barolo

First Post

The way I see it, this looks more like some sort of attempt to "fix" the competition created by tomelock with shillelagh+booming blade or green-flame blade. Going tomelock and grabbing these cantrips goes a long way into having a melee warlock which is not only viable but also sort of makes the current bladelock a little redundant, or should I say, less appealing.

All in all I feel the blame would fall on shillelagh itself, as in its current form this cantrip is better for a multiclass tomelock paladin, or for a nature cleric than it is for the poor druid.

zaratan

First Post
I think most people are. It needs to be an invocation available to Hexblades at level 3 once they get Pact of the Blade. It would be best as a level 3 invocation that lets them use Cha for one handed weapons, and allows them to attach some additional rider as well so it has some oomph to it. Something like Cha to one-handed weapons, and when they hit someone they can spend a bonus action to lower their speed by half, or give them disadvantage on their next attack. Mini-hexes basically like the kind you see on cantrips so it incentivizes them to fight in melee and makes it stand apart from Eldritch Blast spam.

Another invocation cost? This is a vad idea, would be easier let them use Cha only when reach level 2. Two level deep to multiclass for that yes a good delay and you miss one ASI too. Only work for one hand and you still need mid levels in str or dex for AC.

The way I see it, this looks more like some sort of attempt to "fix" the competition created by tomelock with shillelagh+booming blade or green-flame blade. Going tomelock and grabbing these cantrips goes a long way into having a melee warlock which is not only viable but also sort of makes the current bladelock a little redundant, or should I say, less appealing.

All in all I feel the blame would fall on shillelagh itself, as in its current form this cantrip is better for a multiclass tomelock paladin, or for a nature cleric than it is for the poor druid.
Yes. Shillelagh and also polearm mastery working with staffs are to blame. But for a pure tome warlock no real harm is done.
The scag cantrips are ok in my book since they don't stack with multiple attacks and are not always the best choice.
pact of the blade indeed needs a little buff... but that is the wrong way to do it because of multiclassing. Make it a level 3 invokation for blade pact warlocks and everything is fine.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads