• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unique question about modules in .pdf format

DrClarke

First Post
I'm on a quest to learn more about creating modules in .pdf format.

I've downloaded quite a few nice examples from sites such as Necromancer Games and Fiery Dragon Productions.

The information I seek is what tools are utilized in creating 'cool' looking modules. Meaning, does one layout everything in Illustrator first and then import it into Acrobat?

I'm trying to learn what is involved so I can try learning this myself. Somehow, I can't fathom a module being wholely created in Acrobat because I've seen things done that just aren't native to Acrobat.

Any guidance on where I could research this information would be great!

DPGDarrin

First Post
There's a bunch of ways to do this, bu the programs you use depend largely on the quality you want to turn out. Technically, you could get away with doing a layout in MS Word. This program has the functionality to format text, place pictures on the page, and even embed images behind text. On the other hand, these features aren't the easiest things to work with, and can be done more quickly with more powerful programs like Publisher or Quark. As for images, you will likely need an image editor. You will probably need to adjust the size of a picture, lighten or darken it, modify existing backgrounds, etc. In addition to the exterior artwork, you will also need a cover layout. The industry standard program for both of these features is Adobe Photoshop.

Of course there are numerous programs that will also work.

DrClarke

First Post
Ya.... thanks! :)

My research, so far, since posting and getting the first response, has pointed out that I was going about it all wrong.

It's easier to utilize a program such as PageMaker or QuarkExpress to do the layout in! :) Then utilizing Acrobat Distiller... and I'll be on my way to learning! :)

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Adobe Indesign is also a very good program for layout, it can export to pdf without the intereferance of distiller...

Dimwhit

Explorer
I create a fantasy/scifi e-zine in .pdf format. QuarkXpress, Photoshop, and Acrobat are all I need. Easy to use and great results. I've heard good things about InDesign, but I'm too lazy to try to switch. And I like Quark, anyway.

gregweller

First Post
From what I've seen, the newest version of Quark is a lot more Acrobat friendly. For doing 'quick and dirty' acrobat layout, the acrobat plug-in that installs in MS Word is not bad at all. There's also a document from Adobe on formatting for ebooks as well.

Remove ads