Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
It was a coincidence of sorts. Last night, I splashed some bourbon on some ice cream and pecans, discovering it to be a very sophisticate, subtle adult sundae. In the process, I also discovered my bourbon’s cork exploded, and I had to decant it into a mason jar, of all things.

In order to limit my “hillbilly experience” to a minimum time, I started looking for recipes to cook with bourbon, and someone pointed out how it goes with all kinds of sauces with beef.

I had already promised myself a leftover brisket sandwich for lunch today while I was cleaning up after “dinner”* last night. And as I was prepping the meat for reheating, the bourbon kinda gave me a “Come here, Big Boy” wink.

I looked around, and realized I wasn’t GOING anywhere, so...why the hell not?

* it‘s in quotes because what I had was the aforementioned sundae with a side of warmed, buttered bread pudding.

prabe

Aspiring Lurker (He/Him)
Supporter
It was a coincidence of sorts. Last night, I splashed some bourbon on some ice cream and pecans, discovering it to be a very sophisticate, subtle adult sundae. In the process, I also discovered my bourbon’s cork exploded, and I had to decant it into a mason jar, of all things.

In order to limit my “hillbilly experience” to a minimum time, I started looking for recipes to cook with bourbon, and someone pointed out how it goes with all kinds of sauces with beef.

I had already promised myself a leftover brisket sandwich for lunch today while I was cleaning up after “dinner”* last night. And as I was prepping the meat for reheating, the bourbon kinda gave me a “Come here, Big Boy” wink.

I looked around, and realized I wasn’t GOING anywhere, so...why the hell not?

* it‘s in quotes because what I had was the aforementioned sundae with a side of warmed, buttered bread pudding.
I deglaze with bourbon, often, on the way to making pan-sauces. If you're still looking for ways to use the stuff, or otherwise interested, I'll post the basics.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
I deglaze with bourbon, often, on the way to making pan-sauces. If you're still looking for ways to use the stuff, or otherwise interested, I'll post the basics.
Please do! This thread is not just for me, but everyone who likes to cook or wants to learn how!

...and I’m planning on doing a bourbon pan sauce later this week to go with some ribeye, so any exemplars would be welcome.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Try brushing a little of that bourbon on your bacon while you're using maple syrup to turn it into candied bacon. You can thank me later. :p

prabe

Aspiring Lurker (He/Him)
Supporter
Please do! This thread is not just for me, but everyone who likes to cook or wants to learn how!

...and I’m planning on doing a bourbon pan sauce later this week to go with some ribeye, so any exemplars would be welcome.
It's not a sandwich thing, per se, so I'll put it in the other cooking thread.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
When I make an apple pie, I use bourbon instead of water in my pie crust. Alcohol doesn't bind with gluten, so it makes for a more flaky crust...and the caramel-toffee flavors of the bourbon go well with the apples and sugar of the pie filling.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
When I make an apple pie, I use bourbon instead of water in my pie crust. Alcohol doesn't bind with gluten, so it makes for a more flaky crust...and the caramel-toffee flavors of the bourbon go well with the apples and sugar of the pie filling.
Interesting! I’ve heard of people using bourbon in pie fillings, but never crust.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Cross-posting from the other cooking thread:

I did fancy grilled cheese sandwiches & tomato basil soup for lunch today. (Good Friday.)

Each person’s sandwich was a unique combo of 3 cheeses, each on a different kind of bread. Dad got American, Swiss and smoked Gouda on white. Mom was served Boursin, Swiss and smoked Gouda on roasted garlic. I had Boursin, American and smoked Gouda on oatnut.

The tomato soup was bought at Market Street yesterday, reheated. I personally added cracked pepper, parsley, chive and radish sprouts to mine. Definitely a winning combination of flavors, IMHO.

Zardnaar

Legend
Cross-posting from the other cooking thread:

I did fancy grilled cheese sandwiches & tomato basil soup for lunch today. (Good Friday.)

Each person’s sandwich was a unique combo of 3 cheeses, each on a different kind of bread. Dad got American, Swiss and smoked Gouda on white. Mom was served Boursin, Swiss and smoked Gouda on roasted garlic. I had Boursin, American and smoked Gouda on oatnut.

The tomato soup was bought at Market Street yesterday, reheated. I personally added cracked pepper, parsley, chive and radish sprouts to mine. Definitely a winning combination of flavors, IMHO.
I thought who keeps that amount of cheese on hand.

Looked in fridge.

Swiss
Tasty
Parmesan
Brie
Camembert

Erm nvrmind.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Hell, I didn’t even touch on all my sliced cheese. :D

I’ve also got a port wine, a few blues, two different bries, mozzerella and Parrano.

...and I just had to toss a Cotswold and a Cahil porter that changed colors while hiding at the back of the bin.

You're killing me. With everything shut down, I haven't gotten to a diner in two months. I'm really jonesing for a great Philly cheesesteak sandwich at the moment, but as a geobachelor locked down far from home, it doesn't really pay to get all the ingredients to make my own as I won't use them fast enough. Anyone got an idea for a good substitute?

Accio FoodTruck! Drat, still not working.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, the meat for a philly shaves best when it's semi frozen anyway, so portioning off the meat and freezing it would make sense. Same for the other toppings. You could cut and freeze you peppers and shrooms in portions too. Then you'd be able to pull and cook one philly at a time. You could freeze the extra buns too.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
I would love to be eating more western european sausages these days, but Mom’s not as big a fan as once she was, sooooo...

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4