Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Tbh its surprising how often those words are spoken in direct relation to some of the best recipes people discover.
Necessity is the mother of invention.

A few of the (non-sandwich) dishes I came up living alone in Austin were created either out of an absence of ingredients or having made something the same way too many times so that I was driven to experiment.

Zardnaar

Legend
This was how I learned most of what I know about cooking curry.
I'm only starting to mess around with curried now.

Had plans to make some nice Indian dishes.

Turned into Mexican/Indian hybrids, no Naans use Tortillas and adding the ingredients to store bought sauces.

Or adding Indian type spiced meats to Mexican type wraps.

My tikka massala paneer was tasty.

Georgia food in Russia looks tasty. I've had Iranian, Kuwaiti, Lebanon, Jordan, Morocco meals so throw in Turkey that area seems to be my favorite.

Both westernized and authentic dishes are tasty.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Mom is an absolute nut for Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food. I like it a lot, but not like she does. So we’ve gone from Italian & Greek gateways into Lebanese, Iranian, Armenian, Saudi, Egyptian, Jordanian, Palestinian, and Israeli cuisine. Ethiopian, too.

That has given me the opportunity to get her trying Indian. Naan- especially garlic naan- is now welcome at her table any time.

Zardnaar

Legend
Mom is an absolute nut for Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food. I like it a lot, but not like she does. So we’ve gone from Italian & Greek gateways into Lebanese, Iranian, Armenian, Saudi, Egyptian, Jordanian, Palestinian, and Israeli cuisine. Ethiopian, too.

That has given me the opportunity to get her trying Indian. Naan- especially garlic naan- is now welcome at her table any time.
Quite happy to eat Greek sovlaki. We used to have an Iranian place that did saffron chicken and schwarma.

prabe

Aspiring Lurker (He/Him)
Supporter
Toasted roasted garlic bread with mayo and caramelized onion spread

Thinly sliced ribeye.

Swiss cheese

Bourbon mushroom cream sauce
Sounds like a pretty classic combo. I'm not a big fan of mushrooms, but I recognize classic when I see it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
It‘s a bit of a variation on a philly cheesteak. The meat is wrong, the cheese is wrong, the sauce is wrong, not enough onion...but it’s a close cousin.

Evidence of convergent evolution in the sandwich family?

Ulfgeir

Explorer
Tbh its surprising how often those words are spoken in direct relation to some of the best recipes people discover.
Here in Sweden, we have an old misquate by a woman named Cajsa Warg, who wrote cookbooks in the mid 1700's "Man tager hvad man hafver*" which translates to "You take what you have"

* attempt at old spelling.

Last edited:

prabe

Aspiring Lurker (He/Him)
Supporter
Tried making a club style sandwich using port wine cheese. I’m filing that under close, but no cigar.
That sounds ... brave. I guess you might have gotten something salad dressing-esque to play with the lettuce and tomatoes (if you had them on the sandwich), but it doesn't seem as though things worked out that way.

Venison, blackberries, rolled in a (bit less moist than typical so that it holds together) crepe, tiny little bit of honey drizzled inside. I feel like thats breaking some rules somehow but i do what i want!

Ps

I have a smalk bit of unflavored yogurt on the plate next to it for dabbing in.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Venison, blackberries, rolled in a (bit less moist than typical so that it holds together) crepe, tiny little bit of honey drizzled inside. I feel like thats breaking some rules somehow but i do what i want!

Ps

I have a smalk bit of unflavored yogurt on the plate next to it for dabbing in.
That’s actually headed down the road to pemmican.

Last edited:

That’s actually headed down the road to pemmican.

But im eating a wrap. With puffy venison pieces.

I dont really see a stong resemblance.

Pemmican resembles a loaf of some kind.

EDIT: OHHHHH i see what happened. I said these things were rolled in a crepe. You thought i mean rolled as in rolled in crepe material.

I mean these things are WRAPPED in a crepe.

Last edited:

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4