Staff member
Supporter
suKC8lV.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I tried something new today.

Using an onion roll like the one just above, I made a simple but tasty sandwich: spicy brown mustard, Genoa salami, and labneh. For those who don’t know, labneh is a dairy product somewhere between yogurt and cheese. It has a texture similar to slightly softened butter or a spreadable cheese, and its flavor is akin to cream cheese...but with an undeniable yogurty finish.

This one was a keeper for sure. Nice and tangy. In future, I’d probably add spinach to it. And if I did, I could easily see using a vinaigrette on it as well. Or maybe instead of the brown mustard.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I used to eat the odd muffuletta, but haven’t in a while. Too many of them are overly salty to me now. The closest commercial ones I’ve found outside of my hometown are the ones they make at Jason’s Deli and Shlotzsky Originals. The latter ones are more like close cousins, though still quite tasty.

Emeril’s recipe is pretty good if you want to try making them at home:
https://www.emerils.com/121389/muffaletta

To me, the Muff lives or dies on the quality of its olive salad mix. That’s often the saltiest of all the salty ingredients. The original from Central Grocery can be bought online...in huge jars:
https://www.goldbelly.com/central-g...F69cG-uXuUEG9X6abAxQhb8ap_dKGF6caAjgdEALw_wcB

We usually use Boscoli or buy the ingredients separately at a deli and mix it ourselves.
https://www.cajungrocer.com/Boscoli...4xQLwm08y079ViB01C-DoMS-neIoblxcaAjIiEALw_wcB

This recipe for olive salad is pretty good. I will say that the giardiniera is the Achilles heel- the mix is easily found in stores, but many of the common brands like Mezzetta can be salt bombs.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/muffaletta-olive-salad-recipe-912886

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nutella is pretty good, and that’s based on hazelnuts. Unfortunately for me, it is blended with chocolate, and I’m mildly allergic to chocolate. So I only eat chocolate I really love.

I’ve had almond butter. I’ve seen but not tried cashew butter. I haven’t bought it to try because of my experience with almond butter.

LET ME CLARIFY.

I really love peanut butter. In fact, it’s about the only way I eat peanuts by choice. But I like those “kiddie”, sweeter ones like Peter Pan and most of the store generics. In this, I am in 100% solidarity with my folks’ border collies. ;)

It isn’t just the sweetness, it’s also convenience. The “higher end” peanut butters all can have the oil separate out, requiring you to stir it back in. And because they’re preservative free, they must be refrigerated...and that makes the stirring that much more difficult.

I really liked almond butter when I have had it, and would eat it again if offered. But- to me- what I had did not taste appreciably different enough from those less-processed, less commercial peanut butters to justify the higher price. It was nutty (but not almondy) and salty, and you had that whole oil separating thing going on.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nutella is pretty good, and that’s based on hazelnuts. Unfortunately for me, it is blended with chocolate, and I’m mildly allergic to chocolate. So I only eat chocolate I really love.

I’ve had almond butter. I’ve seen but not tried cashew butter. I haven’t bought it to try because of my experience with almond butter.

LET ME CLARIFY.

I really love peanut butter. In fact, it’s about the only way I eat peanuts by choice. But I like those “kiddie”, sweeter ones like Peter Pan and most of the store generics. In this, I am in 100% solidarity with my folks’ border collies. ;)

It isn’t just the sweetness, it’s also convenience. The “higher end” peanut butters all can have the oil separate out, requiring you to stir it back in. And because they’re preservative free, they must be refrigerated...and that makes the stirring that much more difficult.

I really liked almond butter when I have had it, and would eat it again if offered. But- to me- what I had did not taste appreciably different enough from those less-processed, less commercial peanut butters to justify the higher price. It was nutty (but not almondy) and salty, and you had that whole oil separating thing going on.

I get the peanut butter from the grinder at winco, and mix in a little honey from there, and put in at in a mason jar. I don't refrigerate it, but we eat a lot of pb, and the honey helps preserve it naturally.

I haven't had almond butter that I liked, but I may give it another try at some point.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That PB & H premix sounds pretty clever & effective. Couldn’t do it in my household, though- I share my PB with the dogs, and they don’t need the honey.

Do you always use the same honey, or do you try other kinds? I experiment with my purchases, and I’ve found that the flavor can vary noticeably depending on the flowers the bees hit- clover honey from our locals doesn’t taste the same as the stuff that comes in plastic bears, for instance.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases