Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It was a coincidence of sorts. Last night, I splashed some bourbon on some ice cream and pecans, discovering it to be a very sophisticate, subtle adult sundae. In the process, I also discovered my bourbon’s cork exploded, and I had to decant it into a mason jar, of all things.

In order to limit my “hillbilly experience” to a minimum time, I started looking for recipes to cook with bourbon, and someone pointed out how it goes with all kinds of sauces with beef.

I had already promised myself a leftover brisket sandwich for lunch today while I was cleaning up after “dinner”* last night. And as I was prepping the meat for reheating, the bourbon kinda gave me a “Come here, Big Boy” wink.

I looked around, and realized I wasn’t GOING anywhere, so...why the hell not?

* it‘s in quotes because what I had was the aforementioned sundae with a side of warmed, buttered bread pudding.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
It was a coincidence of sorts. Last night, I splashed some bourbon on some ice cream and pecans, discovering it to be a very sophisticate, subtle adult sundae. In the process, I also discovered my bourbon’s cork exploded, and I had to decant it into a mason jar, of all things.

In order to limit my “hillbilly experience” to a minimum time, I started looking for recipes to cook with bourbon, and someone pointed out how it goes with all kinds of sauces with beef.

I had already promised myself a leftover brisket sandwich for lunch today while I was cleaning up after “dinner”* last night. And as I was prepping the meat for reheating, the bourbon kinda gave me a “Come here, Big Boy” wink.

I looked around, and realized I wasn’t GOING anywhere, so...why the hell not?

* it‘s in quotes because what I had was the aforementioned sundae with a side of warmed, buttered bread pudding.

I deglaze with bourbon, often, on the way to making pan-sauces. If you're still looking for ways to use the stuff, or otherwise interested, I'll post the basics.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I deglaze with bourbon, often, on the way to making pan-sauces. If you're still looking for ways to use the stuff, or otherwise interested, I'll post the basics.
Please do! This thread is not just for me, but everyone who likes to cook or wants to learn how!

...and I’m planning on doing a bourbon pan sauce later this week to go with some ribeye, so any exemplars would be welcome.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Try brushing a little of that bourbon on your bacon while you're using maple syrup to turn it into candied bacon. You can thank me later. :p

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Please do! This thread is not just for me, but everyone who likes to cook or wants to learn how!

...and I’m planning on doing a bourbon pan sauce later this week to go with some ribeye, so any exemplars would be welcome.

It's not a sandwich thing, per se, so I'll put it in the other cooking thread.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
When I make an apple pie, I use bourbon instead of water in my pie crust. Alcohol doesn't bind with gluten, so it makes for a more flaky crust...and the caramel-toffee flavors of the bourbon go well with the apples and sugar of the pie filling.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When I make an apple pie, I use bourbon instead of water in my pie crust. Alcohol doesn't bind with gluten, so it makes for a more flaky crust...and the caramel-toffee flavors of the bourbon go well with the apples and sugar of the pie filling.
Interesting! I’ve heard of people using bourbon in pie fillings, but never crust.

Remove ads