Unusual Sandwiches

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I just use smallish normal onions. And often garlic (through a press). I was thinking more for the finishing stage, where most pan sauces use cream. These days I default to crema, but I've used peanut butter and apple butter, and you could probably just mount the sauce with cold butter and some steady whisking if you wanted to.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My prior sauces were butter based- I’m actually just venturing into the use of cream. :D And I mean that across the board- I have rarely used cream because other dairy was good enough for most purposes.

So far, liking it.

I may have to try my hand at making a chowder in the near future. But that’s for the OTHER thread. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We recently did Tex-Mex takeout for the first time since February. I ordered 4 beef fajita dinners to keep things simple, along with some soups, a large guacamole, and extra tortillas.

That last bit has proven to be a bonus- they gave me LOTS! So I’ve been having roll-up sandwiches made with the tortillas instead of various sliced bread opportunities. One of the best included sliced ham and chicken with radish sprouts topped with a green goddess style vinaigrette.

Zardnaar

Legend
We recently did Tex-Mex takeout for the first time since February. I ordered 4 beef fajita dinners to keep things simple, along with some soups, a large guacamole, and extra tortillas.

That last bit has proven to be a bonus- they gave me LOTS! So I’ve been having roll-up sandwiches made with the tortillas instead of various sliced bread opportunities. One of the best included sliced ham and chicken with radish sprouts topped with a green goddess style vinaigrette.

I had a quasadilla the other day. A US expat couple have opened a Tex Mex type place. Not a wide variety of stuff but it tastes great. Early lunch dine in after haircut on Friday.

It's hard to get good Tex Mex here. Think there's only 1 restaurant locally no idea if it's good or not.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Truth be told, it’s still hard to get good Tex-Mex outside of Texas, IME.

I was a groomsman in my college roomie’s wedding in Missouri, and he- like many of the other attendees- hadn’t hung out together since we were all at school in San Antonio. The day before the wedding, all the school buds went out to lunch together and TRIED to enjoy some fajitas. KC is beef country, right? It should be good, right?

There were a LOT of disappointed people at that table... I mean, it looked right, it smelled right, it even SOUNDED right, but it didn’t taste right. There was a lack of seasoning. Fajitas don’t need to be SPICY, per se, but they are very well seasoned. What we got was bland- even the salsa wasn’t much beyond diced tomatoes.

The same problem exists finding good creole food. People trying to make it may have the right ingredients, but they don’t get the seasoning balance correct. The most common mistake I’VE encountered is making things too spicy coupled with an overreliance on black pepper.

Zardnaar

Legend
Truth be told, it’s still hard to get good Tex-Mex outside of Texas, IME.

I was a groomsman in my college roomie’s wedding in Missouri, and he- like many of the other attendees- hadn’t hung out together since we were all at school in San Antonio. The day before the wedding, all the school buds went out to lunch together and TRIED to enjoy some fajitas. KC is beef country, right? It should be good, right?

There were a LOT of disappointed people at that table... I mean, it looked right, it smelled right, it even SOUNDED right, but it didn’t taste right. There was a lack of seasoning. Fajitas don’t need to be SPICY, per se, but they are very well seasoned. What we got was bland- even the salsa wasn’t much beyond diced tomatoes.

The same problem exists finding good creole food. People trying to make it may have the right ingredients, but they don’t get the seasoning balance correct. The most common mistake I’VE encountered is making things too spicy coupled with an overreliance on black pepper.

Well this good is nice and they do gumbo occasionally.

They're from Texas/Louisiana.

They do these burritos. Most Mexican here I've had isn't great and American expats say it's bad.

They like the kebabs generally though which are very common.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here’s a sandwich: ham & truffle gouda on a buttered, toasted pretzel bagel.

The side is pickled green tomatoes. Saw them at the Farmers’ Market today, and decided to give them a try.

All in all, a lunch I’d have again.

There were a LOT of disappointed people at that table... I mean, it looked right, it smelled right, it even SOUNDED right, but it didn’t taste right. There was a lack of seasoning. Fajitas don’t need to be SPICY, per se, but they are very well seasoned. What we got was bland- even the salsa wasn’t much beyond diced tomatoes

That sounds like when my mom tries to make burritos. As time goes on she's been using less and less chili powder and cumin in the meat. When I was a kid her burritos were good, but at this point there's so little flavoring in them that they actually taste like sadness.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That sounds like when my mom tries to make burritos. As time goes on she's been using less and less chili powder and cumin in the meat. When I was a kid her burritos were good, but at this point there's so little flavoring in them that they actually taste like sadness.
Feel for ya.

Remove ads