Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Breakfast sandwiches from a couple days ago:

Toasted sourdough buns
Salted butter
Cotswold cheese
Prosciutto
Baked Egg (smoked EVOO, Parsley, Chives, black pepper)
Left one has garlic sprouts, right has radish sprouts

Zardnaar

Legend
NZ lamb and falafel kebab.

IMG_20201104_174539.jpg

Not usually a fan of lamb but the Turks, Kurds, Arabs know what they're doing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sandwich Experiment!

Over the past year or so, I’ve seen several cooking shows mentioning sandwiches made with greens- usually but not always collards- from a variety of culinary traditions in the south, like the Lumbee Tribe and the Gullah. So I looked up a bunch of variants and tried a little experiment with the leftover greens I had made for Thanksgiving.

Some of the collard green sandwiches were made with fatback, pork belly or bacon. Some had a fried egg or cheese. Most were made with some form of that staple of southern cuisine, cornbread. The most common cornbread type was a “hoecake”- cornbread cooked in the form of a pancake.

Mine was mustard greens (made with smoked turkey), some glazed ham, a couple slices of American cheese, and a baked egg (essentially identical to an over medium fried egg) on buttered sourdough.

The result was a messy but very tasty sandwich. I’m pretty sure it would also work substituting smoked/fried turkey or chicken.

And as good as the sourdough was, I’m certain that using cornbread “hoecakes” would kick it up a notch or three.

Remove ads