Unusual Sandwiches

Zardnaar

Legend
Came up with a new one recently. No pix yet, but...

I combined mortadella with Cambozolla blue cheese with Mayo & mustard on sourdough. Cambozolla is a fusiin of blue and brie, so it makes for a nice creamy text with blue’s characteristic salty funkiness. Mortadella is essentially an Italian style bologna.

Sounds pretty damn tasty.

Hard to go wong with salami/Bologna and some combo of blue/brie/camembert)feta IMHO.

Thing we have 6 or 7 sauces in the fridge.

Anything salted pork related is off the menu.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Sides: pickled sweet pepper, pickled garlic cloves, sliced Campari tomato with tarragon vinegar, salt & pepper

I just bought a great feta today. Might try pairing it with the mortadella next time per your suggestion.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That sounds tasty!

I have some caramelized onion spread- sans hummus- that is slightly sweet and I’ve used it as a sandwich condiment and a steak topping.

Zardnaar

Legend
Double balls up. Bought this last week by mistake.

IMG_20210314_180435.jpg

Liked it so much went to buy it again but totally forgot and got plain hummus.

Tonight's experiment is a kebab burger.

Zardnaar

Legend
Plating skilkz I lacks them.

IMG_20210314_181941.jpg

Burger Kebab

Caramelized sweet onion hummus, tabouli, capsicum, onion, tomato, lettuce, swiss cheese. Habenero and sweet chilli sauces.

Home made chicken tenders. Marinaded in Smokey manuka bbq sauce, garlic, paprika, lemon juice. Coated in breadcrumbs.

Basically tweaked my kebab recipe and served it in a burger instead of wraps/pita.

I liked it but prefer burger or a kebab. Wife loved it though. Bun needed to be toasted. Baguette, wraps, pita or something similar the tenders were a bit of a winner.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sounds pretty good!

Some thoughts:

Toasting a bun and giving it a little butter can be a game changer.

Grilled or fried chicken sandwiches also pair very well with something pickled. Most of the major chicken sandwiches I’ve had all over the USA will sport slices of dill pickle. Or occasionally a dill pickle relish. But I’ve had lower profile sandwiches with pickled onions, peppers, carrots, daikon and the like. Something about that combination of vinegar & crunch.

Zardnaar

Legend
Sounds pretty good!

Some thoughts:

Toasting a bun and giving it a little butter can be a game changer.

Grilled or fried chicken sandwiches also pair very well with something pickled. Most of the major chicken sandwiches I’ve had all over the USA will sport slices of dill pickle. Or occasionally a dill pickle relish. But I’ve had lower profile sandwiches with pickled onions, peppers, carrots, daikon and the like. Something about that combination of vinegar & crunch.

Yeah we have a jar of pickles and relish in the fridge. Didn't put it in these normally in beef burgers or a basic chicken/mayo/pickle.

I got the idea of pickle in Chicken burger from America hasn't really caught on here at least locally.

Think I need fresh relish.

Do you get salt and vinegar chips in USA?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah we have a jar of pickles and relish in the fridge. Didn't put it in these normally in beef burgers or a basic chicken/mayo/pickle.

I got the idea of pickle in Chicken burger from America hasn't really caught on here at least locally.

Think I need fresh relish.

Do you get salt and vinegar chips in USA?
I do, but nobody else I know does.😁

Surprisingly, I’ve been looking for those Kettle Caramelized Onion flavored ones you mentioned a while back, and while I’ve seen a LOT of Kettle flavors, that hasn’t been one of them.

Zardnaar

Legend
I do, but nobody else I know does.😁

Surprisingly, I’ve been looking for those Kettle Caramelized Onion flavored ones you mentioned a while back, and while I’ve seen a LOT of Kettle flavors, that hasn’t been one of them.

Possibly the best ones I have found are sweet chilli and sour cream. Was a limited release one:(.

Remove ads