Upcoming Classes Speculation

Nymrohd

First Post
I could see Elemental being its own power source in the not so near future. . .
Sha'ir as Elemental Leader, Sorcerer (al'qadim one) as Elemental Controller and Elemental Mage (al'qadim one again) as Elemental Striker?

MaelStorm

First Post
cdrcjsn said:
I read that it's been confirmed that Bard has been finished, but I don't recall anyone saying that it's an Arcane leader. Don't get me wrong, it makes sense because of his role and the fact that he's been an arcane caster for the past two editions.

However, I can also see Bard as a primal caster, with the same power source as Druids and Barbarians. After all, in 1st edition they were ftr/rog/druid multiclass builds.

From a mythology standpoint, Bards fit well with Celtic druids and berserkers warriors.
I don't think D&D has any historical attachment to the concept of the celtic bard (but I would really like to see a Celtic supplement book).

Hypothetical power sources for the bard are Divine or Arcane, I did put bard in the arcane camp in my previous post, but in R&C it is mentioned:
Races and Classes said:
A bard draws magic from otherwordly patrons. ...snip... A bard is not a subservient worshiper like a cleric, nor does he bend forces to his will like a wizard.
So the power source could very well be from the Divine.

Races and Classes said:
A bard can be truly inspiring to the rest of his adventuring party and immensely aggravating to his enemies.
In my book this is the definition of a Leader.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
My Two cents :

The Barbarian will be a controller.

A defender must be 'sticky' ; he must be able to hold a front. The 1st level dwarf fighter Kathra can do that : She has a threat range (as opposed to all five other PC), stops the movement of anyone she hits with AoO, she can mark a foe that would have -2 to his roll if he didn't attack her, and if someone tries to shift around her, she can push him back with her shield in order to control the battlefield. She looks like a great defender. The paladin doesn't look as good at this job though his marking ability is nastier ; unless bad guys love taking free 1D8 of damage, the Paladin will get the attention of anyone he challenges.

Allong with good AC and HP, these are what really makes a defender : People can't easily ignore them and rush the more fragile PC, they have to get them out of the way first.

I don't see the Barbarian having these kind of qualities and he probably won't be able to efficiently hold a front. In fact, it goes against his main power : Rage. You can't go berserk and then patiently hold the line.

A controller is supposed to be able to take on a large number of foes at the same time. Well, if the barbarian is very mobile and if he has great area effects (Whirlwind style of attacks, fear effects caused by his rage etc.) he could do just that. It would fly in the face of the traditional 'Artillery' method, but it would play the same role.

Of course, if your controller is personnally jumping into the fray, the defender is free to work more closely with the striker (In that configuration, I'd want a Warlock as striker) and not be as worried about protecting a weak mage.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Yeah, barbarian as striker doesn't work. Strikers are generally high-offense, low-defense; while this actually fits how the 3E barb works out in play (they need constant propping up due to low AC and being in the monsters' faces), I'm not sure that's what the archetype is meant to be. The barb should be the guy fighting from dawn to dusk, covered in blood and gore, not all of it his, yackety yack.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Hmm... Yeah a Barbarian as a Controller would work quite well.

I can just imagine a "Sever Tendon" power, where the Barbarian can attack each opponent in each square around him. Causing them to trip for a round and be Slowed afterwards.

cdrcjsn said:
I read that it's been confirmed that Bard has been finished, but I don't recall anyone saying that it's an Arcane leader. Don't get me wrong, it makes sense because of his role and the fact that he's been an arcane caster for the past two editions.
I do recall someone saying it was an arcane leader. I don't remember where the reference is though.

But if the Bard is one of the first non-PHB1 classes completed, and they don't even have the primal power source even done yet. How could it possibly be a primal class?

cdrcjsn

First Post
MaelStorm said:
I don't think D&D has any historical attachment to the concept of the celtic bard (but I would really like to see a Celtic supplement book).

Hypothetical power sources for the bard are Divine or Arcane

Is there a specific source for thinking that it's Divine or Arcane? R&C hints that their effects are magical, but doesn't really specify either way, so it can be either or an entirely different power source.

The only reason people think of Bards as Arcane is because they were Arcane caster in 2nd and 3rd edition. In 1st edition, they used Druidic magic which is confirmed to be Primal in this edition.

Just looking at some 3E bardic classes (Seeker of the Song, Sublime Chord), I can see a case made for the Bard to be a Primal Leader or Controller, using music to invoke primal urges in those around them, buffing allies and enchanting/disorienting foes.

glass

(he, him)
Forgive me for quoting you (slightly) out of order...

Sitnaltax said:
Monk: Martial Controller. We know it's not Striker, and no class could be more martial.
According to R&C, the monk almost certainly will be a striker. And the monk has no controller like abilities. And they are probably going to be Ki- or Psionics-powered (which may or may not be the same thing).

Sitnaltax said:
Druid: Primal Controller. Shapeshifting, summoning, healing, and utility nature magic is way too much to be all given to one class. With iconic spells like Entangle, Stone Shape, and carefully chosen summonings, the Druid would make a great controller--and perfect for an underrepresented role. Healing and major combat shapeshifting would probably have to go to another class.
That would all make sense, except that they have said that the druid will focus on wildshaping, which makes them a striker or defender, probably the latter.

Sitnaltax said:
Barbarian: Primal Striker. Someone needs to be based off the same power source as Druids and Barbarians are a natural first choice.
Makes perfect sense, and fits the description in R&C, except the Druid seems likely to be a primal striker too.

Sitnaltax said:
Assassin: Never appearing as a core class. The lone figure who's deadly only when unseen doesn't fit into a party well at all. I can easily imagine a paragon/epic path
Haven't they already said that assassin will be a paragon path?

glass.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
But if the Bard is one of the first non-PHB1 classes completed, and they don't even have the primal power source even done yet. How could it possibly be a primal class?

Aren't they planning on releasing Druids and Barbarians in PHB2 (or at least most people assume). Just because the Bard is finished now, it doesn't mean it won't go in the same supplement as those two and both are assumed to have a Primal source. Who's to say that those two classes aren't already finished as well (or mostly finished)?

MaelStorm

First Post
cdrcjsn said:
Is there a specific source for thinking that it's Divine or Arcane? R&C hints that their effects are magical, but doesn't really specify either way, so it can be either or an entirely different power source.

The only reason people think of Bards as Arcane is because they were Arcane caster in 2nd and 3rd edition. In 1st edition, they used Druidic magic which is confirmed to be Primal in this edition.

Just looking at some 3E bardic classes (Seeker of the Song, Sublime Chord), I can see a case made for the Bard to be a Primal Leader or Controller, using music to invoke primal urges in those around them, buffing allies and enchanting/disorienting foes.
It could be Primal too. They were deliberately unclear. We'll see what they'll decide.

Remove ads