UPDATE: Politics/Religion no longer permitted again!

Cor Azer

First Post
No worries.

I'm glad you tried the experiment, but ultimately, it's a side-feature (so-to-speak) of the boards that doesn't add enough to warrant further resources.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Politics and religion bring diverse and adult conversations to EW. Geek stuff is interesting, but so is politics and religion and they make for refreshing subjects. How many Star Wars thread can there be? Politics and religion are part of the human experience. People can avoid the political and religious threads if they do not want to read about it on EW.

I do not want to antagonize, but why are they so hard to avoid if people do not want to read them? The tags are pretty clear.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Politics and religion bring diverse and adult conversations to EW. Geek stuff is interesting, but so is politics and religion and they make for refreshing subjects. How many Star Wars thread can there be? Politics and religion are part of the human experience. People can avoid the political and religious threads if they do not want to read about it on EW.

I do not want to antagonize, but why are they so hard to avoid if people do not want to read them? The tags are pretty clear.

I agree. There are so many Star Wars threads and if I can avoid them then people can avoid the like what three or four political/religious threads? Maybe they aren't adding a whole lot to EnWorld, but I definitely don't think they're subtracting from it.

Unless I'm missing something and somehow those discussions are spilling over into other threads that I'm not aware of...

But I personally have liked the couple of discussions that have arisen and appreciate that people seem to be able to discuss things with a minimal of attitude. So if I could choose I would choose to keep them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The threads may be only a handful at a time, but they are very busy threads and tend to overwhelm the various feeds with political content. That makes them nigh impossible to avoid if you use a mobile device or the What's New? feed. I can't imagine what first time visitors think when the first thing they see on the site is some of the less pleasant viewpoints frequently expressed in those threads.

Nah, I think it was a worthy experiment, but it failed.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The threads may be only a handful at a time, but they are very busy threads and tend to overwhelm the various feeds with political content. That makes them nigh impossible to avoid if you use a mobile device or the What's New? feed. I can't imagine what first time visitors think when the first thing they see on the site is some of the less pleasant viewpoints frequently expressed in those threads.

Nah, I think it was a worthy experiment, but it failed.

So what is the status of the current conversations and future conversations?

dd.stevenson

Super KY
So, honest question:

The threads in question are clearly marked. You never have to enter into one. The mere presence of them is an issue, even if you never have to take part?

I realize this train has already sailed, but to me the outrage inducing clickbaity thread titles are an issue, in that they make this forum less pleasant to browse.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I realize this train has already sailed, but to me the outrage inducing clickbaity thread titles are an issue, in that they make this forum less pleasant to browse.

Sailed, and returned to port! To be honest, the thread titles are a minor issue, compared to some of the content we've seen lately.

Remove ads