[Updated] Chris Sims & Jennifer Clarke Wilkes Let Go From WotC

The details are unclear, but D&D editor Chris Sims has reported that he is now in need of a job, and is willing to relocate. He was hired by WotC in 2005 after working for them as a freelance editor. Part of the D&D 5E launch, he was one of the editors for the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and was responsible for stat block development in the Monster Manual. The reasons have not been revealed, nor is it clear whether he left or was laid off.

The details are unclear, but D&D editor Chris Sims has reported that he is now in need of a job, and is willing to relocate. He was hired by WotC in 2005 after working for them as a freelance editor. Part of the D&D 5E launch, he was one of the editors for the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and was responsible for stat block development in the Monster Manual. The reasons have not been revealed, nor is it clear whether he left or was laid off.

Whether this is an isolated thing or part of more layoffs if unclear right now. More if I hear anything! In the meantime, if you can hire an excellent writer and editor, please do!

For more on ex-WotC employees, please check my list here!

UPDATE: Jennifer Clarke Wilkes is also in the same boat. She has worked on both D&D as an editor and on Magic: the Gathering, and has been working for WotC for many years.

UPDATE 2: Chris Sims confirms here that he and Jennifer were both laid off.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That's too bad. I feel bad for the both of them.

I am not going to assume this was a layoff until someone actually says it was a layoff. Could be something else, could be a layoff.

mlund

First Post
Note to self, never bother hiring employees to ramp up large projects in case I might have to downsize on a cyclical contraction.

Just send in waves of self-detonating contractors and string along freelancers so I can stop giving them work when I don't need them anymore. Better just assign them numbers so no one can remember the name of anyone who isn't critical to marketing the brand.

Definitely the secret to keeping the gaming community from questioning your personnel practices. :p

Marty Lund

It always irritates me. They're already sailing on a skeleton crew compared to pretty much any point in the game's history.

What bugs me the most is that it is often highly qualified and experienced people. I mean, WotC laid off Jeff Grubb. Seriously? Anyone who was around in the 2e days can pull out dozens of books from their shelves with his name on the front cover, and it's probably on the inside credits of the rest of them. That's one step up from firing Gary Gygax.

Don't they realize that this, you know, looks bad? And that, amazingly enough, goodwill actually impacts on your financial success? Maybe they need to stop firing and start hiring. Starting with a PR consultant.

I feel sorry for the people who lost there jobs (since I have been floating temp work since 2007 I understand), this entire economy (that I keep being told is on an upswing, as I see more temps and layoffs, and less full hires)is pretty bad shape.

I will hold off on tossing rotten fruit WotC way, or Hasbro for that matter.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I gotta ask...why the assumption by almost everyone in this thread that this was a layoff?

I understand three years ago and prior there were many layoffs...but is that really enough reason to assume, with no evidence beyond them now not working there, that it was a layoff?

I mean, isn't it possible they quit or were fired or had a contract expire?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Note to self, never bother hiring employees to ramp up large projects in case I might have to downsize on a cyclical contraction.

Just send in waves of self-detonating contractors and string along freelancers so I can stop giving them work when I don't need them anymore. Better just assign them numbers so no one can remember the name of anyone who isn't critical to marketing the brand.

Definitely the secret to keeping the gaming community from questioning your personnel practices. :p

Marty Lund

While your sarcasm is most amusing, neither of these people were hired to ramp up a big project. JKW has been with WotC for over a decade, and Chris Sims has been with them in and off since 2005. The D&D team is at its smallest ever (a third of Paizo's), and just got cut again.

I gotta ask...why the assumption by almost everyone in this thread that this was a layoff?

I understand three years ago and prior there were many layoffs...but is that really enough reason to assume, with no evidence beyond them now not working there, that it was a layoff?

I mean, isn't it possible they quit or were fired or had a contract expire?

well I would group "Contract expire" with layoff, I know that from personal experience there is little difference between the two. Most people when quiting already have jobs... so I just choose to belive they were not fired untold told diffret....

Remove ads

Remove ads