• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Updated] Chris Sims & Jennifer Clarke Wilkes Let Go From WotC

The details are unclear, but D&D editor Chris Sims has reported that he is now in need of a job, and is willing to relocate. He was hired by WotC in 2005 after working for them as a freelance editor. Part of the D&D 5E launch, he was one of the editors for the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and was responsible for stat block development in the Monster Manual. The reasons have not been revealed, nor is it clear whether he left or was laid off.

The details are unclear, but D&D editor Chris Sims has reported that he is now in need of a job, and is willing to relocate. He was hired by WotC in 2005 after working for them as a freelance editor. Part of the D&D 5E launch, he was one of the editors for the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and was responsible for stat block development in the Monster Manual. The reasons have not been revealed, nor is it clear whether he left or was laid off.

Whether this is an isolated thing or part of more layoffs if unclear right now. More if I hear anything! In the meantime, if you can hire an excellent writer and editor, please do!

For more on ex-WotC employees, please check my list here!

UPDATE: Jennifer Clarke Wilkes is also in the same boat. She has worked on both D&D as an editor and on Magic: the Gathering, and has been working for WotC for many years.

UPDATE 2: Chris Sims confirms here that he and Jennifer were both laid off.

While your sarcasm is most amusing, neither of these people were hired to ramp up a big project. JKW has been with WotC for over a decade, and Chris Sims has been with them in and off since 2005. The D&D team is at its smallest ever (a third of Paizo's), and just got cut again.

I think your missing the point Morrus, he is trying to show that we (as in RPG fans) may show a bit of our teeth even when we shouldnt' after all, it's just business... it sucks but it happens.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I gotta ask...why the assumption by almost everyone in this thread that this was a layoff?

I understand three years ago and prior there were many layoffs...but is that really enough reason to assume, with no evidence beyond them now not working there, that it was a layoff?

I mean, isn't it possible they quit or were fired or had a contract expire?

A 15 year contract? I guess it's *possible*. And it's possible they both simultaneously quit or were fired.

They didn't, though. I don't know, but I'd bet a hell of a lot on it!

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
It doesn't sound great.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two (fired editors and cancelled splatbook) are related. From what I gather, even if WotC uses subcontractors to created content, some of it was still edited by WotC for quality/consistency.

Maybe if the edition benefited from the promotion of the movie that was supposed to come out last year.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Wasn't the D&D team like ... 7 people or something? These people should have been promoted or given raises not laid off. I mean... people at wizards DO know they have to actually have people working on stuff for it to get done right? Mearls can't do it all himself.

mlund

First Post
While your sarcasm is most amusing, neither of these people were hired to ramp up a big project. JKW has been with WotC for over a decade, and Chris Sims has been with them in and off since 2005.

Yes, I'm saying -I- had better never bother hiring (or even retaining staff) for a major push and then have to deal with layoffs after the workload drops off.

Also, in many cases when you do have a cyclical (or otherwise predictable / scheduled) drop-off followed by layoffs that ax hits non-essential veteran personnel wherever possible because they command higher salaries than newbs (just like it sucks to be "over-qualified" when applying for a position).

The D&D team is at its smallest ever (a third of Paizo's), and just got cut again.

They just finished delivering a CORE release. In an absence of splat-book glut I think layoffs are inevitable, especially in editorial.

As to Paizo, I'm mildly curious from a business perspective as to what counts as actual headcount for them.

Marty Lund

Last edited by a moderator:

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
1) mlund - so you're a typical cold corporate shrill. So? I'm saying your attitude and business approach are bunk. The system is broken. If you're supporting it, you're approach is broken. You can hire freelancers under contract with the idea to ramp up a project without lying to them and giving them full time employment. There is so much nonsense in your snarky remark to rebuttal without writing a paper-long response. There are ways to fine tune a business and keep your creative capital. Why not MAKE MORE MONEY? They have options to make more money. We see them. Why can't Hasbro?

2) GMforPowergamers - it doesn't have to happen. It's they easiest approach. The one of less resistance. When you view people as salaries/expenses attached to an employee ID, it's easy to shuffle them off the budget. Am I showing my teeth? Absolutely. There is no reason we cannot practice business better in corporate America. The whole system is disheartening practice in futility.

I imagine the slower release schedule is a cause. You don't need a full time editor when you're releasing two products a year. And some of that work can be handled by the developers/designers.

This is the first time in a couple of years.
Very true. However, they have some voluntary departures, retirements, and contract expirations during that time. That might have taken the place of a layoff.

mlund

First Post
Just shy of 50.

Not "how many", but "what" - full time with benefits, part-timer, contractor, paid intern, unpaid intern, subcontractor, freelancer who gets 500 words thrown his way every 2-3 months, etc. That's what I'm actually curious about.

Marty Lund

Remove ads

Remove ads