[UPDATED: CONFIRMED!] Wheaton's Game: Putting Together The Clues!

So, with Wil Wheaton's statement that the game being played in his new Tabletop RPG show is NOT Green Ronin's Dragon Age, it's time to start putting together the clues. Here's everything we know so far. I figured that if I've spent 15 years doing this exact thing to compile information about D&D books, hopefully the process work for a web show, too! Note: I think I've fixed the issue preventing Chrome users from reading the article.

[UPDATE: I've had it confirmed by me by a whole bunch of people who already know that the game is, indeed, Fantasy AGE, in a fantasy/sci-fi blended setting created by Wil Wheaton, and that an announcement is imminent!]

• In 2014, Wheaton's Tabletop boardgame show wins an ENnie for its two RPG episodes which feature Green Ronin's Chris Pramas running Dragon Age for Wil Wheaton and the other stars of the episode.
  • Wheaton states that "we're not using D&D. I really like the people at Wizards, but dealing with Hasbro is a giant pain in the ass".
  • Green Ronin's Chris Pramas announces in January that this year they will be involved in what might be the biggest RPG news story of the year. "Our goal is to release Fantasy AGE in May. Then at the end of July we will release the game’s first setting book. This is our big GenCon release and part of something super exciting … that I can’t talk about yet. This will be the focus of our GenCon presence this year and perhaps the biggest RPG story of the year. Watch for an announcement in a few months."
  • In January 2015, Green Ronin announces Fantasy AGE. "This will be strictly a rule book with no attached setting. The core of the game will be well-familiar to Dragon Age fans but there are some differences, the biggest of which is the magic system."
  • A few days ago, just as the Tabletop RPG show starts fiming, Chris Pramas flew from Seattle to Burbank California, for reasons he says he can't discuss. These reasons are, however, exciting. "So much I can't tweet right now." The Green Ronin Twitter account posts "The Age of AGE is upon us."
  • The announcement video features Wil Wheaton sitting next to a Dragon Age GM screen, with his coffee mug resting on one of the Dragon Age Set 2 reference cards.
  • Wheaton states, just a couple of days ago, "It isn't Dragon Age. I brought my own GM screen from home because of reasons."
  • He also posted "Ryan is the co-creator of the world and main storyline in the Tabletop RPG show, and he and I have been writing together for months, now, almost every single day, and yesterday we finally finished the hardest part of our work. Yesterday, we handed everything off to the lead RPG designer, and exhaled for the first time in weeks." Is this world being published?
  • Wil Wheaton posts on his blog "I’m not quite ready to announce the details of the world we created for our RPG show, but I am ready to show this little glimpse of it, and I encourage you to make of it what you will…" (picture below)
  • Wheaton also posts photos of Yuri Lowenthal and Laura Bailey leveling up their characters. "Look at @yurilowenthal and @laurabaileyvo leveling up their characters! They are all grows up."
  • Various photos of players with dice show 3d6, one of which is a different colour, which pretty much seals the deal.

So, putting all that together, what do we have? It sounds a LOT like the game is Green Ronin's Fantasy AGE (not Dragon Age) or Blue Rose with a homebrewed world created by Wil Wheaton and his son and published by Green Ronin. If it's not, this is one heck of a clever misdirection!

a-sneak-peak-at-the-tabletop-rpg-world-768x1024.jpg

CBYcOIlU8AAbhB4.jpg

dice1.jpg
dice2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting...

It'd be some great exposure for Green Ronin and an excellent coup if they scored regular product placement and a name co-creator for their world. Not sure I'd call it the biggest RPG news story of the year...
Wheaton's and decent blogger and has managed to make a surprising comeback from his writing skill and geek allegiance, but I'm uncertain that'll segue into a decent fantasy setting. World building is a very different skill set.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Wil's show would be an excellent vehicle for selling a campaign setting, would it not? Especially if each show was an entertaining snippet of how much fun it could be to play in that setting?

If the new AGE game is the machinery that makes their campaign work, then you're promoting two products with one stone.

Not sure what else could be a bigger RPG news story this year. There won't be a new D&D Edition announcement and I am pretty sure Paizo won't announce Pathfinder 2.
If the announcement is just "we're publishing a campaign setting co-written by a D-list celebrity" then a lot of news from WotC could bump that. A new version of the Realms heavily written by Ed Greenwood for one. Or any other campaign setting for that reason. Or an unexpected product from WotC. All of which should have ten times the sales of anything put out by Green Ronin.
Heck, a licence deal for a major property could do the same. If someone snags the, oh, Harry Potter licence for an RPG or Transformers that would be huge news.
Or, yeah, the announcement of Pathfinder Revised or something.

Lindeloef

First Post
If the announcement is just "we're publishing a campaign setting co-written by a D-list celebrity" then a lot of news from WotC could bump that. A new version of the Realms heavily written by Ed Greenwood for one. Or any other campaign setting for that reason. Or an unexpected product from WotC. All of which should have ten times the sales of anything put out by Green Ronin.
Heck, a licence deal for a major property could do the same. If someone snags the, oh, Harry Potter licence for an RPG or Transformers that would be huge news.
Or, yeah, the announcement of Pathfinder Revised or something.

Maybe i am overestimating the exposure the game can have from this show, but if the influence on sales from this tabletop show are any indication, it can be quite big for an RPG.

Von Ether

Legend
Toriel
This is not just fantasy. There are obvious sci-fi elements to the image: the robot beside the arm, the skyscraper and spherical something at the top.

What robot? It could be a golem, or a animated statue. The literature of Fantasy and myth encompass a lot more stuff than what most people think of as their kind of fantasy. In fact, quite a bit about our ideas on robots have their roots in folklore, mythology and ancient clockwork toys. http://www.nippon.com/en/views/b00907/

My guesses are:
* A retro-homage to Metamorphosis Alpha that's either a straight old-school "Use magic rules to represent mutations and psionics" or a magic version of the conceit.
* In that same flavor, it might be a love letter to Gene Wolfe/Jack Vance
* The big bad has giant walls around his city and golem city guards to keep mankind in line while being a magic user is illegal.
* Or the picture is something a little less integral to his campaign, just a cool big wall/engine thing with magic guards/clockwork PCs.

Small side note: switching to IE helped with the crash a little bit. It seems to be a Chrome thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases