[UPDATED] Has ADVENTURER'S HANDBOOK Been Cancelled?

Today's official announcement about the Elemental Evil storyline mentioned Princes of the Apocalypse, a new DM screen, miniatures, video games... but not the Adventurer's Handbook! This could mean nothing, of course. The book was first announced last year, back in August; but the below screenshot from Edelweiss shows it as cancelled. The mystery deepens!

Today's official announcement about the Elemental Evil storyline mentioned Princes of the Apocalypse, a new DM screen, miniatures, video games... but not the Adventurer's Handbook! This could mean nothing, of course. The book was first announced last year, back in August; but the below screenshot from Edelweiss shows it as cancelled. The mystery deepens!

UPDATE: WotC's Mike Mearls answers "We can't cancel a book we never announced!" So that sounds like the Adventurer's Handbook will definitely not be appearing. WotC certainly wrote ad copy and designed a cover for the book (see below). Mike added "we've played things close to the vest is that it's a huge, open question on what support for the RPG should look like... we do a lot of stuff that may or may not end up as a released product. For instance, we now know that the high volume release schedule for 3e and 4e turned out to be bad for D&D. It wasn't too many settings that hurt TSR, but too many D&D books of any kind. lots of experiments ahead..."

Here's the cancellation screenshot. Now, that could mean a number of things - maybe it's been pushed back, maybe it's been renamed, or maybe it's just an admin error. Princes of the Apolocaypse has been pushed back from March 17 to April 7.

ah_cancelled.jpg

What do we know about the book? We have a description from August 2014 and a more recent cover image. Right now, anything could be true; I haven't heard anything about a cancellation or a pushed back release date. If I do, I'll be sure to report it.

ah.jpg

Adventurer's Handbook (March 17, 2015; hardcover; $39.95) -- A Dungeons & Dragons Accessory.

Create Heroic Characters to Conquer the Elements in this Accessory for the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game​

Not inherently evil, elemental power can be mastered by those with both malevolent and benign intentions. The Elemental Evil Adventurer’s Handbook provides everything that players need to build a character that is tied directly into the Elemental Evil story arc, with skills, abilities, and spells meant to augment their play experience throughout the campaign. Additionally, valuable background and story information provides greater depth and immersion.

An accessory that expands the number of options available for character creation for the Elemental Evil story arc, providing expanded backgrounds, class builds, and races meant specifically for this campaign.

Provides background and setting information critical to having the greatest chance of success.

Accessory design and development by Sasquatch Game Studio LLC.​

Do we know if it will be one volume or two like tiamat adventure path?

Please look at my comment on the last page.

Anyway some news from twitter. Princes of the Apocalypse is in the 256 - 320 page range according to Mike Mearls. Also all the material made for the Handbook will be in the PDF. Which will have stuff the the Adventure does not.
It's one volume. But it's a much bigger book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Please look at my comment on the last page.

It's one volume. But it's a much bigger book.

256-320 range? Wowzers! That's one uncertain book! The full quote is more interesting - Mike Mearls has no idea. He *thinks* it's in an 80-page range.

Maybe he really does have more than one book to remember! He must have; there's no way he doesn't know the page-count of the only book on the schedule. :)

Mearls said:
I *think* it's in the 256 - 320 range - can't remember off the top of my head

Last edited by a moderator:

256-320 range? Wowzers! That's one uncertain book!

Well Mearls said he could not remember the page count off the top of his head. So he thinks it's in that range.

Greg just confirmed the page count in the twitch chat for their game
  • Gregbilsland: PotA is 256 pages. Books are printed in 32-page increments, which is what accounts for the odd page count.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
If the goal is the grow the brand, that it's wise to wait on releasing a player focused book until they can make it a surefire hit. Right now, the focus should be on selling Player's Handbooks. The big adventure stories help do that. Each creates an entry point into the game, either through organized play, the MMO, or simple word of mouth. In a few months, Prince's of the Apocalypse will be the adventure people are playing and talking about. If successful, it will sell more Player's Handbooks than it ever would have sold Adventurer's Handbooks.

Don't get me wrong. I love new hardcovers. I buy them up, read them, and love them. But as for what I actually want to use in a game, and what I think is healthy for the brand, it's not yet time.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I honestly don't think a Wizards needs to worry about growing the brand and just focus on creating material to use with the new rules. D&D has been around for 40 years now and is only going to played by certain people so trying to focus on a brand that has been around for donkey's years is just wasting time.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I honestly don't think a Wizards needs to worry about growing the brand and just focus on creating material to use with the new rules. D&D has been around for 40 years now and is only going to played by certain people so trying to focus on a brand that has been around for donkey's years is just wasting time.

Is that your Serious Business Advice? Maybe you should apply for the job as CEO!

Halivar

First Post
D&D has been around for 40 years now and is only going to played by certain people so trying to focus on a brand that has been around for donkey's years is just wasting time.
Well, I suppose no growth at all is a fine business strategy. Just suffer a slow, withering death and all.

An aside: my introduction to D&D was Baldur's Gate, the video game, that by your advice would never have been made.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Well, I suppose no growth at all is a fine business strategy. Just suffer a slow, withering death and all.

An aside: my introduction to D&D was Baldur's Gate, the video game, that by your advice would never have been made.

That's great, but do you have any data as to how many people came to D&D through a video game?

D&D will always be a niche area. It will never be a global phenomena that is going to attract millions upon millions of people. If you spend the most time creating quality products for your table top game, you will do fine.

D&D is not as valuable as they think it is.

Remove ads

Remove ads