[UPDATED] Has ADVENTURER'S HANDBOOK Been Cancelled?

Today's official announcement about the Elemental Evil storyline mentioned Princes of the Apocalypse, a new DM screen, miniatures, video games... but not the Adventurer's Handbook! This could mean nothing, of course. The book was first announced last year, back in August; but the below screenshot from Edelweiss shows it as cancelled. The mystery deepens!

Today's official announcement about the Elemental Evil storyline mentioned Princes of the Apocalypse, a new DM screen, miniatures, video games... but not the Adventurer's Handbook! This could mean nothing, of course. The book was first announced last year, back in August; but the below screenshot from Edelweiss shows it as cancelled. The mystery deepens!

UPDATE: WotC's Mike Mearls answers "We can't cancel a book we never announced!" So that sounds like the Adventurer's Handbook will definitely not be appearing. WotC certainly wrote ad copy and designed a cover for the book (see below). Mike added "we've played things close to the vest is that it's a huge, open question on what support for the RPG should look like... we do a lot of stuff that may or may not end up as a released product. For instance, we now know that the high volume release schedule for 3e and 4e turned out to be bad for D&D. It wasn't too many settings that hurt TSR, but too many D&D books of any kind. lots of experiments ahead..."

Here's the cancellation screenshot. Now, that could mean a number of things - maybe it's been pushed back, maybe it's been renamed, or maybe it's just an admin error. Princes of the Apolocaypse has been pushed back from March 17 to April 7.

ah_cancelled.jpg

What do we know about the book? We have a description from August 2014 and a more recent cover image. Right now, anything could be true; I haven't heard anything about a cancellation or a pushed back release date. If I do, I'll be sure to report it.

ah.jpg

Adventurer's Handbook (March 17, 2015; hardcover; $39.95) -- A Dungeons & Dragons Accessory.

Create Heroic Characters to Conquer the Elements in this Accessory for the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game​

Not inherently evil, elemental power can be mastered by those with both malevolent and benign intentions. The Elemental Evil Adventurer’s Handbook provides everything that players need to build a character that is tied directly into the Elemental Evil story arc, with skills, abilities, and spells meant to augment their play experience throughout the campaign. Additionally, valuable background and story information provides greater depth and immersion.

An accessory that expands the number of options available for character creation for the Elemental Evil story arc, providing expanded backgrounds, class builds, and races meant specifically for this campaign.

Provides background and setting information critical to having the greatest chance of success.

Accessory design and development by Sasquatch Game Studio LLC.​

Blackbrrd

First Post
Well puts me in a real spot. I like splat books, I like having new content. I miss Dragon Magazine BADLY!!!!! I agree with slowing down but this is crazy slow, way too slow for my tastes. I want an active updating game, and pathfinder doesn't capture me.
Personally, I kind of burnt out on all the options for 4e (and 3e for that matter). It made me want to look at a simpler game system. Now, if they put the splat book stuff in Dragon Magazine and mark it as "optional" instead of "core" like they did with the splat books for 4e, I think we could both be happy.

I think part of the reason 5e has sold so well is that it's, for being a D&D game, quite complete. I don't think there has been a previous edition that has included so many options as 5e did. Maybe they are looking into what can get new gamers to buy it instead of selling splat books to existing gamers. The latter option does seem to make the original game unsellable to new customers (my assumption).

It really seems like they are undecided on what to actually do with 5e, and will be taking their time deciding what to do. Maybe instead of going the splat book way, they decide to go the way of do-it-yourself, or just skip it and go into adventure/setting support. I think it would be really cool if they made settings with tools for helping you create your own adventure/campaign.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Christ, what does this company have to do to appease people?
Every announcement or rumor is flooded negativity. The core books have came and were spectacular.

Expect more of that and carry on!

kettite

Explorer
While a public announcement was not made, Wizards of the Coast did provide solicitation information to a book distributor, from which book and game stores would make orders. So sometime between August 20 when the catalog was posted on the Edelweiss site and today, a decision was made to cancel the solicitation for the book.

Joe Liker

First Post
I greatly dislike online-only content because I try very hard to keep electronic devices away from my table. And before anyone mentions the obvious, a printout is not nearly as satisfying as a professionally bound hardcover book.

So yes, I'm disappointed.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that (with the arguable exception of the Starter Set) every outsourced 5e product so far has been met with immense dissatisfaction for one reason or another. Maybe they are starting to realize that the realities of quality control require that official WotC products need to be made by official WotC employees.

Drudenfusz

First Post
I hope that this strategy is not also problematic. Sure, i can understand that too many sourcebooks was an issue, but too few could also create the feeling that the system is not properly supported. I thought the Advanturer's Handbooks twice a year would have been fine. Anyway, now it seems like we getting some stuff in a PDF, so at least it is not nothing, but I have to say I prefer to my stuff in books!

delericho

Legend
Well, that's unfortunate. I really liked the idea of an Adventure Path with an associated supplement. And while there's going to be a free download, I will be extremely surprised if it will be the equivalent of the 160-ish page book we were expecting.

Without the supplement, I'm probably going to give this path a miss.

Remathilis

Legend
I greatly dislike online-only content because I try very hard to keep electronic devices away from my table. And before anyone mentions the obvious, a printout is not nearly as satisfying as a professionally bound hardcover book.

So yes, I'm disappointed.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that (with the arguable exception of the Starter Set) every outsourced 5e product so far has been met with immense dissatisfaction for one reason or another. Maybe they are starting to realize that the realities of quality control require that official WotC products need to be made by official WotC employees.
You mean both of them? There is only 6 products; three core books, two modules, and a dm screen. And both middle were made by the same company while the rules were being finalized. I can't blame KP for having some weak slots there.

dream66_

First Post
You mean both of them? There is only 6 products; three core books, two modules, and a dm screen. And both middle were made by the same company while the rules were being finalized. I can't blame KP for having some weak slots there.

That would be fine if even a single one of my complains with HotDQ had anything to do with rules.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I cannot imagine that a product so far along into the development process would be cancelled. I suppose it is possible. Weird.

It happened before, with stuff that had been officially announced and even mentioned in published products. The Nentir Vale Gazetteer comes to mind, as well as the Class Compendium.

I'm not convinced by Mearls' assertion that "a lot of products hurt D&D". Unless perhaps the plan is to build community and brand loyalty by starving everyone of alternatives to the One Campaign to Rule Them All ...

Arallu

Villager
It is about managing our expectations. ....which I am pretty sure is what I typed. Also, they have announced one book for the year....so it is probably ok for me to say they don't plan to release much. More free is good. One book a year, not good. YMMV.

I thought it was 2 storylines (books) per year.

Note the updated text, foreshadowing this

So what do we get every six months?
It appears that each storyline will provide some of the following:

• Optional: storyline specific Adventurer’s Handbook, with new races, classes, backgrounds, feats, equipment lists.
    Not every story will necessarily include a player option type book” – Chris Perkins
  • Adventure for that storyline (1 or 2 books) for the Dungeon Master with additional details for that setting such as adventure specific bonds, locations, monsters, magic items and NPCs.
  • Free downloadable storyline supplements at official D&D site
  • Support with storyline specific video games, comics, miniatures and more.
  • Digital Versions: “We have every intention of releasing the books in electronic versions. But we don’t have a date at this time.” – Chris Perkins

Remove ads

Remove ads