[UPDATED] Has ADVENTURER'S HANDBOOK Been Cancelled?

Today's official announcement about the Elemental Evil storyline mentioned Princes of the Apocalypse, a new DM screen, miniatures, video games... but not the Adventurer's Handbook! This could mean nothing, of course. The book was first announced last year, back in August; but the below screenshot from Edelweiss shows it as cancelled. The mystery deepens!

UPDATE: WotC's Mike Mearls answers "We can't cancel a book we never announced!" So that sounds like the Adventurer's Handbook will definitely not be appearing. WotC certainly wrote ad copy and designed a cover for the book (see below). Mike added "we've played things close to the vest is that it's a huge, open question on what support for the RPG should look like... we do a lot of stuff that may or may not end up as a released product. For instance, we now know that the high volume release schedule for 3e and 4e turned out to be bad for D&D. It wasn't too many settings that hurt TSR, but too many D&D books of any kind. lots of experiments ahead..."

Here's the cancellation screenshot. Now, that could mean a number of things - maybe it's been pushed back, maybe it's been renamed, or maybe it's just an admin error. Princes of the Apolocaypse has been pushed back from March 17 to April 7.

ah_cancelled.jpg

What do we know about the book? We have a description from August 2014 and a more recent cover image. Right now, anything could be true; I haven't heard anything about a cancellation or a pushed back release date. If I do, I'll be sure to report it.

ah.jpg

Adventurer's Handbook (March 17, 2015; hardcover; $39.95) -- A Dungeons & Dragons Accessory.

Create Heroic Characters to Conquer the Elements in this Accessory for the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game​

Not inherently evil, elemental power can be mastered by those with both malevolent and benign intentions. The Elemental Evil Adventurer’s Handbook provides everything that players need to build a character that is tied directly into the Elemental Evil story arc, with skills, abilities, and spells meant to augment their play experience throughout the campaign. Additionally, valuable background and story information provides greater depth and immersion.

An accessory that expands the number of options available for character creation for the Elemental Evil story arc, providing expanded backgrounds, class builds, and races meant specifically for this campaign.

Provides background and setting information critical to having the greatest chance of success.

Accessory design and development by Sasquatch Game Studio LLC.​

Last edited by a moderator:

variant

Adventurer
I hope someone at WotC will address this. Maybe they've changed the name. Adventurer's Handbook isn't the best name for something that only has elemental themed content.

Nebulous

Legend
I cannot imagine that a product so far along into the development process would be cancelled. I suppose it is possible. Weird.

GlassJaw

Hero
Maybe they are addressing the branding and naming. From what I've seen so far, I'm really confused about what this book is. Is it stand-alone? Is it required for the new Elemental Evil module? Both?

I'm also not a fan of bringing the EE story to Forgotten Realms, not am I a fan of WotC having an outside developer write "core" books so early in the 5E lifespan.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
It hasn't been pushed back? Seems like the release date of the adventure was originally march 17 and now it is april the 7th.

This was probably too a big an order for the small Sasquatch Games. Not really surprising. Paizo releases that kind of adventure over 6 months and the team of designers doesn't have to write a splat that is almost as big as the adventure and release at the same time. I guess they are learning the limites of their new business model. One 3PP can only do one book at a time.

Barantor

Explorer
I think they are rolling it into the main book and also having most of the items that affect players be in a free download. This backs up their 'no splatbook' type system it seems.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
UPDATE: Mike Mearls answers "We can't cancel a book we never announced!" So that sounds like the Adventurer's Handbook will definitely not be appearing.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
"Princes of the Apocalypse is available on April 7, 2015 and includes an epic adventure for characters levels 1–15 as well as new elemental spells and the element-touched genasi as a new playable race. In addition, a free download will be available in mid-March that includes more new races plus the player content available in Princes of the Apocalypse,"

The new spells and race in the adventure sounds to me like they combined it into one book, with an online component.

Loki-lie-Smith

Explorer
UPDATE: Mike Mearls answers "We can't cancel a book we never announced!" So that sounds like the Adventurer's Handbook will definitely not be appearing.

I mentioned this in the other thread: the first mention of the books was from a posting on FRPGames. I don't know from where the covers came from but I think it wasn't from WotC.

I don't know how FRPGAMES got hold of the books name so early but truth is until is officially announced it is speculation and rumors.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases