• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Use of Super-natural abilities...

RigaMortus2

First Post
Is it true that if you have a spell that can be used as a Supernatural ability, that you do not have to use any components with it (and I mean ANY components, not just material)?

If this is true (which I beleive I read it is in the PHB), then what about XP consumption? Is XP considered a component of a spell? Where can I find clarification about XP being (or not being) a component of a spell?

Lastly, if I used Eschew Materials Component, would this apply to XP as well? I am guessing no. I don't beleive XP is a material component, but it may be "a" component of the spell.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

the Jester

Legend
Supernatural (and, for that matter, spell-like) abilities typically have no components, including M, F, DF or XP components.

All Eschew Materials does is obviate the need for cheap material components- it has no effect whatsoever on XP components.

IIRC this is discussed in the Monster Manual; I would check the glossary.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Supernatural abilities have no components because they are not spells and are not even spell-like. Spell-like abilities do not have components because "Spell-Like (Sp) Abilities: Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components)." Glossary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads