D&D 5E Using COMMAND to break a caster's concentration?

R_J_K75

Legend
Yes but does that end the concentration on a spell?
Id think so. RAW maybe not but RAI command is an enchantment and compels the target, Id guess thats a pretty good bell ringer. Id be inclined to believe that being subjected to and failing any wisdom saving throw that affects the mind is enough to break concentration.

hopeless

Adventurer
I usually went with "Fall", but given the nature of the incident wouldn't Healing Word to offset the damage and then Thaumaturgy to yell in their ear work as well?

R_J_K75

Legend
Ordering it to sleep might prompt them to lie down and relax as if they were going to bed, but not falling asleep instantly.
I agree. Its one of those spells that pretty open to interpretation. In the end even if the target did actually fall asleep itd only be for 6 seconds.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
The antonym for concentrate is deconcentrate. It is a single word that can be used with command. From Concentration (PHB), "You can end concentration at any time (no action required)." From Command (PHB), "You speak a one-word command to a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or follow the command on its next turn." Seems legit.

Laurefindel

Legend
Then what does the sleep spell do?
The sleep spell makes the target sleep. The command spell compels someone to obey an order against their will.

The way I interpret it, if your target cannot do it willingly, it cannot be compelled to do so unwillingly.

if I ask you to fall fast asleep, right now, on the spot, in the middle of the commotion, chances are you wouldn’t be able to do so, even if you were willing to do it. Being compelled to do it unwillingly shouldn’t change that. sleep is a completely different spell with a specific effect.

i can’t think of a reason the command spell couldnt ruin the target’s concentration with the right command under the right circumstances however.

Last edited:

Remove ads