D&D 5E Using COMMAND to break a caster's concentration?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Usually it’s the players job to stretch rules and find nasty solution,
DM should stay basic and by the book.

The DM is a player, too. Just in a different role. Part of that role is find new ways to challenge players and play the role of scheming evil opponents.

In other words,
No Way Randy GIF by Zack Kantor

Oofta

Legend
Id think you are correct on choking, the target will think/believe they are choking, Panic otoh, I cant think of better command to completely momentarily debilitate someone. Anyone who has suffered from anxiety and panic attacks knows they can come out of nowhere in a matter of seconds. That one seems pretty realistic to me, and would totally break concentration.
But again, you are just commanding someone to do some thing. Can you panic on demand? I know I couldn't, I wouldn't know how. I mean, if you could panic on demand you could stop being panicked anytime you wish, which obviously isn't true. None of the examples change the mental state of the target, the target simply does something simple.

Oofta

Legend
The DM is a player, too. Just in a different role. Part of that role is find new ways to challenge players and play the role of scheming evil opponents.

In other words,
What's good for the goose is good for the gander in my games. Want to abuse the intent of a spell? No problem, just expect the enemy to do it as well.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Ideally, a command that directly tells the target to drop the spell would be preferable to me (and would automatically work given a failed save) to some other command that has a side-effect that may disrupt concentration, which at worst I'd allow the typical DC 10 Concentration check, but it'd be a case by case ruling.

Oofta

Legend
I beg to differ because its an enchantment. Id argue depending on the command it could change their mental state.

The school doesn't matter. Unlike, say, charm person there is no indication the spell changes their mental state. Not in the fluff, not in the examples.

In any case, you do you. I've just given how I would rule. In some extreme cases a DC 10 concentration check might be called for, but the spell command simply controls an action the target can take. Sleep, panic and so on are not actions.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd just make it DC 10, since that is the base for Concentration checks unless it is against a ton of damage, right?
I’d consider forcing a panic attack to be more like getting hit really hard than like getting hit just hard enough to hurt, but nothing crazy, so I’d go with the higher DC.

In other words,
But once the Dm use a cheap move, he legitimate it for all future player to use it.
If the Dm is bugged by heat metal, he gonna be more bugged by command used as a concentration breaker game after game after game.

jgsugden

Legend
The spell makes the target follow a one word command (to the best of its ability) on their following turn. So, things that we can't do naturally are not possible under the spell, such as forcing someone to fall asleep in 6 seconds.

I allow a PC to "set the stage" for a command spell by speaking to an enemy. As such, I would allow them to say, "Hey, you know that spell you're concentration on? (Spellcast) STOP!" However, I might give the target advantage on the saving throw, or allow them to subvert the meaning of the command with an additional role.

This does not negate Dispel Magic. You need to be within 60 feet of the caster to cast command, while Dispel Magic needs to be within 120 of the spell effect. Dispel is d20+attribute, while Command requires a wisdom save. Further ending concentration is often not as bad as other things that can be forced with command. My clerics have effectively ended a lot of combats with one command spell.

Remove ads