D&D 5E Using Scrolls

Snoring Rock

Explorer
We have been playing 5e for two years, and just kind of assumed we understood scrolls. Page 139 of the DMG states that anyone who can read a language, can attempt to cast a spell off a scroll. Ok so on page 140 there is a mishap chart for failure. It gives a save and DC after the failure for effects. How do you determine failure for reading the scroll? Is there no arcane, divine, etc., distinction?

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
We have been plating 5e for two years, and just kind of assumed we understood scrolls. Page 139 of the DMG states that anyone who can read a language, can attempt to cast a spell off a scroll. Ok so on page 140 there is a mishap chart for failure. It gives a save and DC after the failure for effects. How do you determine failure for reading the scroll? Is there no arcane, divine, etc., distinction?

The rules are a little misleading, because the scrolls mentioned on page 139 are for specific named scrolls such as Scroll of Protection (page 199). The chance of failure is an optional rule, so it doesn't contradict page 139's rule. It just gives an alternative option.

Things get a little more confusing however when you have a scroll with a specific spell. You have to go to page 200 to get the rules for Spell Scrolls. These are specific spells such as the Fireball spell. You can cast these spells if it's on your class list, with a check for success if it's higher level than what you can currently cast. Personally I use the mishap table if you fail that check, but that's just me.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
See Spell Scroll on page 200 of the DMG. Scroll of Protection is on page 199 of the DMG.

Scroll of Protection doesn't appear to have any sort of activation roll and can be used by anyone (as per the rules on page 139). Activation is automatic.

Spell Scroll does have an activation roll if used by a lower level appropriate caster, but a failure is normally harmless. It just fizzles if failed and unintelligible (apparently cannot be activated) by anyone else.

The Scroll Mishap rules are a variant rule that mostly applies to a Spell Scroll.

If a DM wanted it to apply to a Scroll of Protection, he would first have to add a rule for how such a scroll could fail.

CapnZapp

Legend
We have been playing 5e for two years, and just kind of assumed we understood scrolls. Page 139 of the DMG states that anyone who can read a language, can attempt to cast a spell off a scroll. Ok so on page 140 there is a mishap chart for failure. It gives a save and DC after the failure for effects. How do you determine failure for reading the scroll? Is there no arcane, divine, etc., distinction?
Mentally adding 1 to my internal list of how many times I've said non spell scrolls should not have been called scrolls, and that the fact this comes from adnd doesn't make a poor idea any better...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Add 1 to me thinking "it's irritating how WotC made it outright *impossible* to cast spells not on your own list" too

After all, it's the spells nobody in the party can cast that you need the most

Snoring Rock

Explorer
Yeah, there needs to be some kind of chance to cast spells off scrolls not on your list. Sure, increase the failure chance, but make it possible. When I write abventures, and let's say it's a warlock's castle, the scrolls found there would be on the warlock list. If there is no overlap, and no warlock in the party, then those scrolls are just fire starter instead of treasure.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sure I could houserule it, but I don't want to have to.

My players actually like not having houserules.

Adhering to RAW is a quality of its own.

And unlike some other things, this issue simply isn't important enough to fight for.

So I will use the rule as written here, all the while hoping that in some future revision of the DMG
1) if it's a "scroll", it holds a spell
2) there's an outlet for others to cast the spell. Could be something the Rogue is good at, as long as everyone has a shot.

ccs

41st lv DM
Mentally adding 1 to my internal list of how many times I've said non spell scrolls should not have been called scrolls, and that the fact this comes from adnd doesn't make a poor idea any better...

Why wouldn't you call them scrolls?
Some scrolls contain Arcane spells, some Divine spells, some have generic effects anyone can access, and others are just mundane writing of variably usefull info.

ccs

41st lv DM
Yeah, there needs to be some kind of chance to cast spells off scrolls not on your list. Sure, increase the failure chance, but make it possible. When I write abventures, and let's say it's a warlock's castle, the scrolls found there would be on the warlock list. If there is no overlap, and no warlock in the party, then those scrolls are just fire starter instead of treasure.

1) No there doesn't.

2) Only stupid people see no value in things they themselves can't use.
Sure, {I} can't use this thing. But I know a guy. Who knows another guy whose brother might need it.... ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases