D&D 5E Using the Acquisitions Inc book

pukunui

Legend
Hey all,

Although I'm not a fan of Acquisitions Incorporated, I bought the official D&D book, and I found it to be a pleasant surprise. I can see why the humorous corporate window dressing might be off-putting to some, but if you look past that, there are some solid rules for bases and factions. Also, the adventure looks like it could be a lot of fun. I feel like too many people are dismissing this book out of hand because of the AI theme.

Anyway, all that aside, I am prepping a second run through the jungles of Chult, and I am considering turning it into an AI franchise campaign. I might run the initial 1st level episode of the Orrery adventure and then send the PCs to Chult to start up a franchise in Port Nyanzaru instead of Phandalin. I'll probably skip the rest of the adventure, as I'd rather not wait till the PCs are 7th level to send them to the jungle (as this time around, I really want to be able to send them out into the jungle to do all the little side quests that my first group skipped because they were in a hurry to find the Soulmonger).

Has anyone else tried using the franchise rules (with or without the AI trade dress)? Specifically, has anyone else tried mixing the AI stuff with Tomb of Annihilation?

Thanks in advance!

pukunui

Legend
Artwork alone kills that book for me. It's on my do not buy list.
You shouldn't judge it by its cover (or its art)! LOL.

Plus, some of the artwork in the book is more mainstream D&D 5e style. Not all of it is cartoony. But even so, there's some real solid stuff in there.

It's been a little while since I read through the Orrery of the Wanderer but I remember being really impressed by the adventure's design. I wish it was getting more attention, as I feel like there are some really good ideas in there that the bigger hardcover adventures could really benefit from adopting. Can't think of any specifics off the top of my head, at the moment, but I'll post some things when I come across them.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm a fan of AI though I haven't used the information in the book yet. I actually really like the artwork and recently found out that one of the artists is Aviv Or, the artist of the Up to Four Players webcomic which is a webcomic I only found recently and wondered why the artwork looked so familiar.

I think the book has some great ideas, I can understand that it might not be for everyone but it is a great book with a lot of great information. I like the playing with class which has information for how different classes might fit into the corporate empire.

Zardnaar

Legend
Unfortunate, but I had a similar reason for skipping 2e and 3e.

Understandable. I liked 2E art, 3E art not so much but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I flicked through the AI book and yeah. There's some 5E books that are a very low priority but I don't think even Wildemont is on my don't buy list.

pukunui

Legend
Understandable. I liked 2E art, 3E art not so much but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I flicked through the AI book and yeah. There's some 5E books that are a very low priority but I don't think even Wildemont is on my don't buy list.
I'm telling you, you're missing out. Next time you have a chance to look at it, read the words, don't just look at the pictures. Check out the adventure in particular.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm telling you, you're missing out. Next time you have a chance to look at it, read the words, don't just look at the pictures. Check out the adventure in particular.

I already have lots of adventures and around 30 odd 5E books a few if which I barely use.

I've been able to do guilds and factions etc myself since 2E.

I'm in the market for another splatbook and setting material that's not FR. Unless they do an FR campaign guide.

New class or two also. I don't need more archetypes. They're the new prestige classes.

Remove ads