D&D 5E Vampires in 5e

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Im assuming the fireball would destroy the coffin leaving a vampire in mist form nowhere to go.

It is not always the coffin, it can be the grave dirt, this way they can have multiple resting places. It can also be the crypt/tomb.

With the vampire lair effect of creeping fog, this may make it hard to follow the mist.

I like to be more specific with information on a vampire, it is not just any wooden stake, it is holly or oak or wild rose or all three, or made from a hang mans tree, etc. that way you don't get arrows as the fix-all (after tips are removed).

Last edited:

Eric V

Hero
It's still worthless if the Vampire's main chance of escape mostly depends on initiative order (and having a crack to slide into within 40 feet, etc.). Meh.

If the designers gave the monster a cool feature, let the monster use it. If the PCs want to kill it while it is in Misty Form, have them cast a Daylight spell.

Does the Daylight spell operate as sunlight for vampires?

Does the Daylight spell operate as sunlight for vampires?

I would rule that it does strictly going by the name of the spell. Light equal to daylight. Considering that "Light" is only a cantrip and Daylight is a 3rd level spell, it wouldn't make much sense if the only added benefit was a bigger radius.

Eric V

Hero
I would rule that it does strictly going by the name of the spell. Light equal to daylight. Considering that "Light" is only a cantrip and Daylight is a 3rd level spell, it wouldn't make much sense if the only added benefit was a bigger radius.

I ask because the Sunbeam spell specifically calls out that it produces sunlight, while the daylight spell lacks such specification.

I ask because the Sunbeam spell specifically calls out that it produces sunlight, while the daylight spell lacks such specification.

Which is because it's not sunlight. Despite the name it's just a sphere of Bright Light. It's primary purpose is dispelling darkness.

I don't disagree that this is specifically called out, but I do think Daylight produces light equal to sunlight. I shall explain my reasoning. The Sunbeam spell IMHO, goes WAY beyond natural sunlight in power. ANYONE hit by that spell is subject to 6d8 radiant damage (provided one is not immune to radiant damage of course). Following that logic, no human being could ever walk in the sunlight. The Sunbeam spell, is thus the equivalent to focused sunlight through a magnifying glass targeting an ant. Since regular people can walk outside during the day here on earth and are also assumed to be able to do so on fictional worlds, I think having the only spell capable of simulating natural sunlight causing 6d8 radiant damage is a bit excessive. YMMV.

I don't disagree that this is specifically called out, but I do think Daylight produces light equal to sunlight. I shall explain my reasoning. The Sunbeam spell IMHO, goes WAY beyond natural sunlight in power. ANYONE hit by that spell is subject to 6d8 radiant damage (provided one is not immune to radiant damage of course). Following that logic, no human being could ever walk in the sunlight. The Sunbeam spell, is thus the equivalent to focused sunlight through a magnifying glass targeting an ant. Since regular people can walk outside during the day here on earth and are also assumed to be able to do so on fictional worlds, I think having the only spell capable of simulating natural sunlight causing 6d8 radiant damage is a bit excessive. YMMV.

That's not the part that matters for sunlight.

"For the duration (1 minute concentration), a mote of brilliant radiance shines in your hand. It sheds bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet. This light is sunlight."

Effectively your holding a tiny piece of the sun in your hand that you can shoot lasers out of. The Lasers you shoot out damage anything. (Undead and Ooze's have disadvantage on the save.) But it also shines with light that is the same as that of the sun. Meaning that if a vampire stands within 60 ft of a person that cast Sunbeam they start taking radiant damage.

Daylight does not say that is produces sunlight. Just light meaning it does not harm a vampire.

That's not the part that matters for sunlight.

"For the duration (1 minute concentration), a mote of brilliant radiance shines in your hand. It sheds bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet. This light is sunlight."

Effectively your holding a tiny piece of the sun in your hand that you can shoot lasers out of. The Lasers you shoot out damage anything. (Undead and Ooze's have disadvantage on the save.) But it also shines with light that is the same as that of the sun. Meaning that if a vampire stands within 60 ft of a person that cast Sunbeam they start taking radiant damage.

Daylight does not say that is produces sunlight. Just light meaning it does not harm a vampire.

So Sunbeam is harmful to vampires while Daylight- a spell that produces light TWICE as bright does not? I will take common sense over keyword nonsense any day of the week.

Remove ads