D&D 5E Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft Table of Contents

As shared by DMs Guild brand manager Lysa Penrose, the table of contents for the upcoming hardcover Ravenloft setting book.

As shared by DMs Guild brand manager Lysa Penrose.

35E85C77-FBD3-4492-91FA-FDC047A7CEF9.jpeg

B51D989E-38B9-4145-8BD9-6C79BEBEC4EA.jpeg

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
That is a bit culturally demeaning because it plays to that discomforting encounter when you introduce yourself with a multi-syllable culturally rich but uncommon name, and mostly white people seek to shorten it to a monosyllable. :-(

The worst part is that uncommon long names are not that hard if you put just a little effort into saying them.

I really hope that Ezmerelda is not just called Ez throughout the book. Or I might just send it back. Almost like WoTC is tone-deaf to cultures that traditionally use multi-syllable names.

Sorry, this is a personal rant, but name shortenings really annoy me, because all too often that is an overlooked racist micro-aggression.

I suspect the change might be because the character is now non-binary.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
It's one of the big mysteries of the setting. Imagine the battle of normandy is going on and suddenly an Atom bomb goes off but the blast extends to the borders of normandy & nobody claims responsibiliy or understands the resulting fallout. It's also very notable that keith has written about cyre & cyre/ravenloft
Notably, "Cyre got taken to Ravenloft" is a pretty common fan theory on what happened to Cyre because not only does a nation being enveloped by mists that stop at the exact border of where that nation is just reak of 'Dark Powers up to their mischief', but the noted remains of Cyre match up semi-well to the one other place we know of that got swiped by the Dark Powers, Kalidnay from Dark Sun

A cheeky little nod to the theory though, very nice

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
  • The two exceptions are Kalakeri, which is apparently an update of Sri Raji, and the Carnival, which wasn't a domain before. (And I don't think I like that - it was more interesting that it was something different, a reality wrinkle. But this makes things easier, I suppose.)

• Klorr is presumably a nod to the Timepiece of Klorr. Assuming some kind of pocket(watch) domain.
good catch on Klorr being a clockwork domain, for some reason I find clockwork golems to be really creepy so I'd love to see what they can do with the concept.

I dont mind the Carnival as a Domain but do hope it stays mobile and weird. Could be interesting how they handle the mechanics of it

Remove ads

Remove ads