D&D 5E Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft Table of Contents

As shared by DMs Guild brand manager Lysa Penrose, the table of contents for the upcoming hardcover Ravenloft setting book.

As shared by DMs Guild brand manager Lysa Penrose.

35E85C77-FBD3-4492-91FA-FDC047A7CEF9.jpeg

B51D989E-38B9-4145-8BD9-6C79BEBEC4EA.jpeg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Stress sounds pretty good. Fear is mostly good but relying on Inspiration was probably a misstep. (Reinforces my mixed feelings on Inspiration having that cap of 1 for sure.)
Right. Something like Inspiration cap of your prof bonus. They're only advantages. It's not like having a few in your pocket is going to break the game.

Yeah, I'm kinda meh about it as it stands. I wish they'd have tied them together more. I get that stress would reduce your fear save, that makes sense, of course, but I think the fear save should be based on the monster or circumstances, not just a flat DC15. Dis/advantage are the equivalent to a -/+5, sure, but I didn't see mention of using dis/ad for that in the text. Though, to be fair, I was zooming in on the highest resolution YouTube video of the guy flipping through, so I might have missed it.

Something like you take stress from not roleplaying off your Seeds of Fear, in addition to everything else listed. There's only so much carrot available for RPing in 5E, a bit more stick would be nice here.

Also, the genres of horror looked pretty good. A double-page spread for each of the main ones with plenty of charts and advice.

Lieslo

Explorer
Here's another more in-depth first look into Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft

Be warned though, it's basically a flip through of the book through to the end, so if you don't want spoilers it's probably best to skip this video.

It's really looking like it's a must-buy for me, the book is just chock-a-block full of inspiration and general coolness.
A big spoiler for the monsters, though it probably comes as no surprise, is that Proficiency is listed but Alignments are not listed.
This looks great. I wonder if this is the future format of setting books. Could imagine a planescape setting would suit a similar production

Xohar17

Explorer
Kalidnay was moved to the Gray in 4e (Dungeon 190), while many people don't like 4e DS it's possible that WotC wants to keep most of the info from the 4e era reasonably canonical.
That's because as far as I remember the gray is the equivalent of the shadowfell in 4e, and ravenloft in 4e is basically a bunch of domains of dread located in the shadowfell.

Remove ads

Remove ads