Vecna: Eve of Ruin

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming May 21st!

Yeah, I'm not sure why people think that Marvel invented the idea. We played with Multiverses in our games in the 80's. (Though I'll grant that Marvel Comics were using the idea then too. So was DC comics!)
Marvel kind of popularised the idea. But that was back in the 1960s Doctor Strange comics.

In terms of Science, it's from here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

But as mentioned, you can find similar ideas much earlier in religion and philosophy.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Marvel kind of popularised the idea. But that was back in the 1960s Doctor Strange comics.
In the 60's and 70's, it was an idea in weird borderline outsider art like Dr. Strange comics or Michael Moorcock stories, or off the wall DC backcatalog shenanigans. But comics kept plugging away at the idea until it became mainstream.

In the 60's and 70's, it was an idea in weird borderline outsider art like Dr. Strange comics or Michael Moorcock stories, or off the wall DC backcatalog shenanigans. But comics kept plugging away at the idea until it became mainstream.
Doctor Who, 1970

Star Trek, 1967

(since Star Trek took about 3 years to swim the Atlantic, they actually aired in the same year in the UK). Plot similarities probably reflect zeitgeist, not plagiarism.

Last edited:

dead

Explorer
I wonder what year Greyhawk and Dragonlance will be set in.

Back in the 2E era "D&D Multiverse", the timelines of the worlds pretty much kept up with each other year for year.

The Realms has had a 100-year timeline advance, though. So, I'm interested to see where this places the timeline of Greyhawk and Dragonlance in relation to the Realms.

Iggwilv is unlikely to be involved. She’s plot important in Wild Beyond the Witchlight already. And doesn’t really pal around with other big wizards.
She has an association with Mordenkainen, has a high profile amongst current D&D players, is female, thus addressing the gender imbalance, and her witchy vibe is currently fashionable. Having appeared in a recient adventure would seem to make them far more likely, not less. (also applies to Elminster and Volo, and Mordenkainen, kinda).

I think that counts for more than who palled up with who in a magazine that was published before current players' parents were born.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads