D&D 5E Verdict on Book of Many Things?

Clint_L

Hero
It'll be interesting to see if the third party vendors start offering the additional cards. I'm not sure if WotC can stop people from producing a tarot-sized card with a dragon on it, for instance, even if the Dragon card isn't in the Creative Commons version of the deck.
I have a DoMT and Deck of Illusions from a 3PP, and I agree with you - there's no way for WotC to stop folks from producing decks with relevant art, as long as they don't step on any trademarks, which isn't hard for a product like this. That's what the 3PP who made mine did. Or look at how Reaper does it by being close enough so everyone knows what the creature is, but not quite identical.

To be fair, I don't think WotC are interested in even trying to stop 3PP like this, as long as they don't try to use the trademarks.

pukunui

Legend
I’ve done the physical + digital bundle three times now. One time the physical product arrived quickly. The other two times, the book got lost in the mail and they had to send me a replacement. So yeah, I’m wary of it now …

But also, you can’t get the hobby store exclusive versions with the digital + physical bundle, and I want the hobby store exclusive version of this product, so …

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I’ve done the physical + digital bundle three times now. One time the physical product arrived quickly. The other two times, the book got lost in the mail and they had to send me a replacement. So yeah, I’m wary of it now …

But also, you can’t get the hobby store exclusive versions with the digital + physical bundle, and I want the hobby store exclusive version of this product, so …
This is actually the first book since Radiant Citadel where I am going with the normal cover, because I love this painting. Still getting it from my FLGS.

pukunui

Legend
This is actually the first book since Radiant Citadel where I am going with the normal cover, because I love this painting. Still getting it from my FLGS.
I usually get the normal covers, but I went for the special cover for Planescape and will go for the special cover for this one as well. (I've also been given the special cover versions of Candlekeep, Fizban's, and Golden Vault.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I usually get the normal covers, but I went for the special cover for Planescape and will go for the special cover for this one as well. (I've also been given the special cover versions of Candlekeep, Fizban's, and Golden Vault.)
Very often, theybare both so good! I didn't get any special covers until Tyranny of Dragons in 2019 because I had lost my Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and then from Wpelljammer to Planescape they've been too good to pass up.

The standard Deck of Many Things cover, though, is in serious competition for my favorite piece of D&D cover art, ever. The alt is pretty great, bit there ia something about the standard painting for me.

pukunui

Legend
Very often, theybare both so good! I didn't get any special covers until Tyranny of Dragons in 2019 because I had lost my Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and then from Wpelljammer to Planescape they've been too good to pass up.
Yeah, some of them are quite good, but my original plan was to get all the regular covers so the spines would match on the book shelf, and also I didn't really like some of the early special covers, but they're definitely improving as they go. I do really like the Golden Vault cover, and the Planescape set is just gorgeous. Like it could be a coffee table set piece kind of thing.

Remove ads