D&D 5E Verdict on Book of Many Things?

Took a bit longer than I planned.

Anyway I like the book. While there are some player options it's for sure more a DM Book and I recommend it for DMs.

It's a bit of a themed goodie box. Here are some cool new magic items, optional systems, puzzles and traps, NPC groups, adventure locations and dungeons, antagonists and monsters.

It's themed around the Deck of Many Things and while it shows some cool ideas to bring the Deck into your game and also make it less of a game destroying device, the Deck is not needed for a lot of the ideas in the book to be used.

For example Chapter 20 Flames is focused on three unique fiends that can serve as villains in games. While it mentions that one way of bringing one of them in is by drawing the Flames card and having one of them being the Fiend that now hates the character, they could also just be used as general npcs and antagonists in a game.

Chapter 16 Ruin is a short fun adventure itself that also is a good way to get a Deck of Many Things into the Players hands.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
giphy.gif

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Took a bit longer than I planned.

Anyway I like the book. While there are some player options it's for sure more a DM Book and I recommend it for DMs.

It's a bit of a themed goodie box. Here are some cool new magic items, optional systems, puzzles and traps, NPC groups, adventure locations and dungeons, antagonists and monsters.

It's themed around the Deck of Many Things and while it shows some cool ideas to bring the Deck into your game and also make it less of a game destroying device, the Deck is not needed for a lot of the ideas in the book to be used.

For example Chapter 20 Flames is focused on three unique fiends that can serve as villains in games. While it mentions that one way of bringing one of them in is by drawing the Flames card and having one of them being the Fiend that now hates the character, they could also just be used as general npcs and antagonists in a game.

Chapter 16 Ruin is a short fun adventure itself that also is a good way to get a Deck of Many Things into the Players hands.
So kind of like a Madness at Gardmore Abbey, then, where the Deck is the theme and yet its presence isn't completely required to make use of the adventure?

Remove ads