• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Very, very sad university news

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I disagree. I think Prof. Librescu went out in a grand fashion and I doubt he'd find that a sad way to go at all. He made a very conscious choice to trade his life for his students and give them one hell of a final lesson.

Horrible things happen in life -- something a Holocaust survivor would know better than any of us -- the most important part is how you live that life, whatever it's filled with along the way.
WD - we have often disagreed on points here before - I am happy to say this isn't one of them - I doff my hat to thee good sir.

I also feel that after 75 years of life, he knew more about youth than those who were living it, I can only assume that he traded his knowledge and wisdom for their continued quests for the same.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If there is a Heaven- as I do believe there is- Prof. Librescu is definitely going to find its gates open to him. What he did was a living example of living by the adage:

"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

You don't see examples like that every day...heck, every year, even.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
GlassJaw said:
I just wish the media wasn't giving him so much face time. He doesn't deserve the attention.

Quoted twice for truth.

There is a good quote on Time.com that I thought was good, talking about this case and other mass murderers:

"We glorify and revere these seemingly powerful people who take life," says Kaye. "Meanwhile, I bet you couldn't tell me the name of even one of Ted Bundy's victims."

The entire article is located here.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
GlassJaw said:
Indeed he was. I just wish the media wasn't giving him so much face time. He doesn't deserve the attention.
Well, there's a fine line between wanting to understand why and starting to give him too much attention. Myself, I'm still in the "why" stage.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Well, there's a fine line between wanting to understand why and starting to give him too much attention. Myself, I'm still in the "why" stage.

I agree that there is a need to understand why, but I think it can be done a little more responsibly by summarizing the information in the package, rather than airing it and making it available on the internet. Of course it is probably inevitable that somebody would get hold of it and air it eventually.

Maybe it is because it is so soon afterwards that it just seems all the more crass to air it. I can't imagine being a friend of family member of a victim and coming across this now.

GlassJaw

Hero

Did you actually watch how the national media handled it after his videos and writings were released? They went WAY overboard. The photo of him holding both guns was front-page, full-color. I'm usually a fan of NBC News but it was too much last night.

Glad to see others shared my opinion:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/ap_en_tv/virginia_tech_nbc

takyris

First Post
If I want to find out more about the shooter or his motives, I want to be able to click a link and follow it.

But I don't want that poor young man's sick and hopeless eyes staring at me every time I go to my Yahoo page, or every time I turn on the television. I'd wager that those closer to the tragedy don't want it, either.

Whether you find him pitiable or evil (or both), putting his pistol-brandishing picture in the headlines is disgusting. Show me the professor, if his family is comfortable with it. Show me the other victims. Show me the piles of flowers. But stop glorifying the killer under the guise of sober investigation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads