D&D 5E Volo's 5e vs Tasha's 5e where do you see 5e heading?

As someone who didn't turn to 5E until five years after it was released (literally didn't even look at it for those first five years), all this talk of 5.5E or 6E is disconcerting. Give me my five years of futzing with the current rules first! :ROFLMAO:
2020 was DnD's best year
They're not gonna make 6th Ed until 5th Ed starts failing
It's got a lot of life left

Reynard

Legend
Not sure how to compare the two
VOLO's GUIDE TO MONSTERS was a monster book and TASHA'S CAULDRON OF EVERYTHING was a player accessory

Each edition changes with each book. It evolves as the design changes
They do something to fix classes or races or monsters
You can see that in the evolution of powers between PH, PH2, and PH3 in 4th Ed. Or the change in monsters between MM and MM3 and MONSTER VAULT

The game will change as people give feedback and the writers make changes to accommodate that feedback
To look at what the next two or three expansions will do, look at what people are saying about DnD on Twitter or TikTok
This.

5E is interesting in that the production/marketing philosophy seems to be to make each book as useful to as many customers as possible, but from a design philosophy 5E isn't particularly different from other editions. Early in its life cycle it established the core and solidified the primary setting. Later it started to introduce new ideas and branch out setting wise. We are apparently moving into the next phase: experimentation with some core concepts. But I think we are still quite a ways away from the Book of 9 Swords "throwing crap against the wall" phase.

Last edited:

Not sure how to compare the two
VOLO's GUIDE TO MONSTERS was a monster book and TASHA'S CAULDRON OF EVERYTHING was a player accessory

Each edition changes with each book. It evolves as the design changes
They do something to fix classes or races or monsters
You can see that in the evolution of powers between PH, PH2, and PH3 in 4th Ed. Or the change in monsters between MM and MM3 and MONSTER VAULT

The game will change as people give feedback and the writers make changes to accommodate that feedback
To look at what the next two or three expansions will do, look at what people are saying about DnD on Twitter or TikTok

I used Volo's symbolically as an expression of the design philosophy before they released Tasha's vs Tasha and beyond with its heavy shift in rules and design philosophy.

I don’t see that much change in design philosophy.
They are heading more « rules of cool » direction for sure.
They take care to not invalidate the core rule set.
They still present everything as « optional » material, so there is no revolution in sight.
For sure they listen carefully to their own survey and other feedback. So it produce more clean and usable material. I don’t remember seen any Sage advice or errata required for Tasha.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don’t see that much change in design philosophy.
They are heading more « rules of cool » direction for sure.
They take care to not invalidate the core rule set.
They still present everything as « optional » material, so there is no revolution in sight.
For sure they listen carefully to their own survey and other feedback. So it produce more clean and usable material. I don’t remember seen any Sage advice or errata required for Tasha.
Thing is , they designed 5e's simplicity to support modularity even at the expense of other areas in many cases but largely refuse to actually engage in dogfooding by actually creating the kind of modular components they've spent six years telling GMs to make themselves. The tcoe &even VRGTR stuff is incrementally gradual to the degree that that it's almost static

Thing is , they designed 5e's simplicity to support modularity even at the expense of other areas in many cases but largely refuse to actually engage in dogfooding by actually creating the kind of modular components they've spent six years telling GMs to make themselves. The tcoe &even VRGTR stuff is incrementally gradual to the degree that that it's almost static
Seem that in therm of design Simplicity take over Modularity.
They choose to step down on new classes like Warlord and Psion for some reasons, but not because the system was not modular enough. There are other design and product philosophy that govern those decision. The gradual increment is chosen IMO.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases