D&D 5E Volo's 5e vs Tasha's 5e where do you see 5e heading?

Reynard

Legend
Seem that in therm of design Simplicity take over Modularity.
They choose to step down on new classes like Warlord and Psion for some reasons, but not because the system was not modular enough. There are other design and product philosophy that govern those decision. The gradual increment is chosen IMO.
There are also regular surveys for most things. WotC wants to know what its audience wants to better serve that audience. I feel like a lot of people forget that when they wonder why WotC does or doesn't do X, Y or Z.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There are also regular surveys for most things. WotC wants to know what its audience wants to better serve that audience. I feel like a lot of people forget that when they wonder why WotC does or doesn't do X, Y or Z.
How could the Will of the People not match my personal tastes exactly??? Clearly WotC is just refusing to do what is objectively right if I am not 100% satisfied.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
This.

5E is interesting in that the production/marketing philosophy seems to be to make each book as useful to as many customers as possible, but from a design philosophy 5E isn't particularly different from other editions. Early in its life cycle it established the core and solidified the primary setting. Later it started to introduce new ideas and branch out setting wise. We are apparently moving into the next phase: experimentation with some core concepts. But I think we are still quite a ways away from the Book of 9 Swords "throwing crap against the wall" phase.
Hey, some of us ADORED Bo9S. And enough people at WotC liked it that they made a whole edition based on its mechanics. ;)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
As someone who didn't turn to 5E until five years after it was released (literally didn't even look at it for those first five years), all this talk of 5.5E or 6E is disconcerting. Give me my five years of futzing with the current rules first! :ROFLMAO:
Don't worry, most likely chance for a new edition is still 2024 at the 50th Anniversary. Because business decisions trump ... whatever they are making their calls on. So if it came out in 2014, that's what 2019 you joined? Boom, there's your five years of futzing with the rules. Just realize you're two years into them already.

Survey, and also Adventurer league, DnD beyond, and Dm guilds best downloader data.
If they are smart they have plenty of data to guess what will be popular, what are the needs of the players and DM.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Don't worry, most likely chance for a new edition is still 2024 at the 50th Anniversary. Because business decisions trump ... whatever they are making their calls on. So if it came out in 2014, that's what 2019 you joined? Boom, there's your five years of futzing with the rules. Just realize you're two years into them already.
Still don't think they're going for 6e in 3 years.

At most 5.5e revision + errata remastered re-release of the special edition variant cover core rules that they released back in 2018.

6e will be the 60th anniversary, me thinks. 5e has a lot more to give than just 3 more years.

Reynard

Legend
Hey, some of us ADORED Bo9S. And enough people at WotC liked it that they made a whole edition based on its mechanics. ;)
I didn't say it was bad, only that it was definitely a late-in-the-life-cycle experiment. 5E has a long way to go before we get material like that, i think.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I thought 5E came out in 2015. . .

Remove ads