• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's 5e vs Tasha's 5e where do you see 5e heading?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think you are maybe assuming a bit much in thinking there is a 30% group of dissatisfied customers who are looking for more.
Wotc pargets 70%, that's not an opinion. That could be 83 or 91 percent, but any time it is between 70.0% & 100% there will be people who were not part of the ≥70%. That's literally the way it works. It's completely impossible for any group less than 100% to not have some fraction of the group without a differing opinion. Are you trying to suggest that everything wotc has published for 5e has 100% approval among 100% of d&d players and such percentages are more reasonable than the idea that some segment of wotc's 50+million d&d players have areas they are unhappy about?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wotc pargets 70%, that's not an opinion. That could be 83 or 91 percent, but any time it is between 70.0% & 100% there will be people who were not part of the ≥70%. That's literally the way it works. It's completely impossible for any group less than 100% to not have some fraction of the group without a differing opinion. Are you trying to suggest that everything wotc has published for 5e has 100% approval among 100% of d&d players and such percentages are more reasonable than the idea that some segment of wotc's 50+million d&d players have areas they are unhappy about?
70% is their current target for expansion material. 90% was the goal for Core material, which they apparently achieved by and large.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I do not fully get this. Isn’t this what D&D Beyond is for? Even if they wanted to publish a 400-page volume, would that not be even more intimidating to a new player? Wouldn’t the cost be prohibitive?

Wizards of the Coast has worked so hard to reprint material from Sword Coast and Eberron in Tasha’s. Is it that hard (or bad) to have Tasha’s and Xanathar’s and whatever the next volume is be books that people grow into at the relevant time in their D&D-playing lifespan?

Maybe I am a casualty of 2nd edition where my friends and I lugged a bunch of books around, but this notion that a revised PHB is going to realistically include the material from Xanathar’s and Tasha’s strikes me, with all due respect, as a far-fetched fantasy.

So when Wizards releases a new book of options in 2023 or 2026, then we will expect a further updated PHB that includes that additional material? What are we going for here? What is the endgame?

Maybe the desire to have every game option included between two covers is a generational divide or something, but I just don’t get it. I am fine letting the game develop and expand and I am fine buying new books and I am fine having the new players who come along start with the PHB or a starter set or the free rules online and then dip in from there.

I am DMing a game now with four brand new players. Some are using Tasha’s options I slipped them, but none of them could identify that volume by name. These things emerge over time. I bought the Essentials Kit for them because the PHB seems like it is intimidatingly big for them. Now people want a larger PHB just so we can include the Rune Knight and Circle of Spores Druid?

Count me clueless.

I want it all in one place − especially the updates and options in their proper contexts.

The 4e Rules Compendium, and similarly the Basic Rules Cyclopedia, are extremely useful products that also sold well in their day.

As 5e expands and clarifies, I want something like this for 5e.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
70% is their current target for expansion material. 90% was the goal for Core material, which they apparently achieved by and large.
even if accurate 10% of 50 million is still 5 million and these are areas 5e has been actively hostile towards. Despite all of that wotc consistently plays up whatever mechanical elements they can when talking up new books, they realize that people who want mechanics are a significant enough chunk to not actually outright ignore while ignoring them.

edit also optional rules aren't exactly "core"

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Most of the genre related options depend on the setting, and belong in a setting guide.

With regard to mechanical rules, the only "modular" option that I notice some players asking for is more chess-like options for grid and miniatures.

Am I misunderstanding the modes that people are asking for?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Most of the genre related options depend on the setting, and belong in a setting guide.

With regard to rules, the only "modular" option that I notice some players asking for is more chess-like options for grid and miniatures.

Am I missunderstanding the modes that people are asking for?

• Character creation variants
  • Divinity and Demigod Ability scores
  • Weapons modules
  • Armor Modules
  • Equipment replacement variants
  • Mass Combat
  • Action rules for Action movie, Swashbuckling, Western, and Wuxia combat
  • African, Asian, Australian, and American inspired classes, subclasses, races, magic and items
  • Rules and Advice for Archaic or Futuristic games
  • Political and Faction rules
  • Stronghold rules
just for a few

Parmandur

Book-Friend
even if accurate 10% of 50 million is still 5 million and these are areas 5e has been actively hostile towards. Despite all of that wotc consistently plays up whatever mechanical elements they can when talking up new books, they realize that people who want mechanics are a significant enough chunk to not actually outright ignore while ignoring them.

edit also optional rules aren't exactly "core"
I think that maybe WotC understands market demand quite well.

Remove ads