• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's 5e vs Tasha's 5e where do you see 5e heading?

Oofta

Legend
If they reprint the PHB for the anniversary, I feel like it would be smart of them to not reprint all the same subclasses and instead try to cover similar conceptual grounds and adding new ones and even reprinting stuff from Xanathar and Tasha's. That way, regardless of which PHB version you own, you can still play a simple incarnation of every class and the core Class remains the same, but you also get different choices to pick from, and there would still be value for someone to pick up both version. This would entice previous player to pick up the new version.

I could see all the SRD subclass kept in. For exemple,in the Fighter they keep the Champion, replace the Eldritch Knight by the Rune Knight, and add the Tasha maneuvers and fighting styles. Then for the Rogue they keep the Thief, but replace the Assassin with the Mastermind and add a new magical subclass... that sort of thing.
The problem with that is the people who like and want to play, say, eldritch knights now no longer have a resource. You may not prefer the subclasses from the PHB, but not including them doesn't seem like the right way to go either.

I don't know if there is a great solution. You could easily have a book of just a consolidated subclasses, feats and spells with nothing else but then people would complain about that as well. Also something you can get with a subscription to DndBeyond.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What's disturbing is that you imply that only younger gamers are diverse. Are younger groups more diverse? Maybe. Seems like the ratio of female players is going up which is a good thing. But the groups I played with always welcomed anyone who had an interest in joining.
I said more diverse. I used the qualifying determiner on purpose to not say older generations of D&D players were young, new, and diverse but not as young, new, and diverse and those just coming in with 5e.

Oofta

Legend
I said more diverse. I used the qualifying determiner on purpose to not say older generations of D&D players were young, new, and diverse but not as young, new, and diverse and those just coming in with 5e.
No age group that is playing D&D however you divide it is monolithic. The fact that you keep defending something that implies such inherent bias ... I don't know how to even respond.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I think an issue with your statement for me is that you are trying a more diverse population into your apocalyptic view of the fate of 5e. So it's as if you are saying "because D&D has attracted a more diverse audience, 5e is doomed to fail."

If that's not what you think, then I've misunderstood you.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
No age group that is playing D&D however you divide it is monolithic. The fact that you keep defending something that implies such inherent bias ... I don't know how to even respond.
I am littlerally using words to not state that. I am using words to state a comparison of magnitude.Saying one group has more doesn't mean the second group lacks. +5 is bigger than +3.

I think an issue with your statement for me is that you are trying a more diverse population into your apocalyptic view of the fate of 5e. So it's as if you are saying "because D&D has attracted a more diverse audience, 5e is doomed to fail."

If that's not what you think, then I've misunderstood you.
You misunderstood me.
My ongoing statement in thisdiscussion is that WOTC is playing safe. This works well as long as people don't ask for deeper modules. If they do, the newcomer could possibly run antithetical to their strategy and have many follow the past fans who weren't served with deeper modules to 3rd parties.

Oofta

Legend
I am littlerally using words to not state that. I am using words to state a comparison of magnitude.Saying one group has more doesn't mean the second group lacks. +5 is bigger than +3.

You misunderstood me.
My ongoing statement in thisdiscussion is that WOTC is playing safe. This works well as long as people don't ask for deeper modules. If they do, the newcomer could possibly run antithetical to their strategy and have many follow the past fans who weren't served with deeper modules to 3rd parties.
You are literally stereotyping groups by age. Older players are less diverse, younger players will get bored.

As far as WOTC taking risks, not sure what you would have them do. If they had played it safe they would have continued to publish everything in FR. Instead we have FR, Eberron, Ravnica, Theros, Wildemount (even if they didn't directly oversee it's creation) and now Ravenloft. So "standard" D&D, magi-tech, urban campaigns, Greek mythology, a different spin on standard D&D, gothic horror.

No game can suit everyone and it never will. D&D is the Toyota of RP games. Not too exciting, but works reasonably well for millions. Gothic horror in D&D will always be Brendan Frasier's Mummy, not Call of Cthulhu.

In any case I'm done. Care to put your money where your mouth is? Nobody's taken me up on my bet yet.

TrueAlphaGamer

Truly a Gamer
I could see all the SRD subclass kept in. For exemple,in the Fighter they keep the Champion, replace the Eldritch Knight by the Rune Knight, and add the Tasha maneuvers and fighting styles. Then for the Rogue they keep the Thief, but replace the Assassin with the Mastermind and add a new magical subclass... that sort of thing.
If they reprint the Champion, as is, I will go mad.

I imagine DnD will also start moving away from using Blinded, Deafened, and Paralyzed as negative conditions that can be removed by magic
Wouldn't be surprised if we got some official wheelchair rules as well
I can see options pertaining to disabilities being open when in character creation, and maybe also some changes in terms of language/terminology, though there might be a limit to how far WotC can go without fundamentally restructuring things like combat/conditions. The game is, after all, grounded on the assumption that the player characters will be vicious killers, so there's an assumption that things can be quite grisly and, perhaps, disturbing.

Regarding wheelchairs, we saw official art of wheelchairs in Van Richten's. Though I'm not sure they would want to make separate rules for wheelchairs. They might just prefer to have one of those coloured text boxes on the side that says something to the extent of: "Characters with wheelchairs can move the same as all other characters" or "Determine with your players how to deal with wheelchairs"

Undrave

Legend
The problem with that is the people who like and want to play, say, eldritch knights now no longer have a resource. You may not prefer the subclasses from the PHB, but not including them doesn't seem like the right way to go either.
That's a fair point... In my mind the Anniversary Edition would be a Deluxe expensive product and the regular PHB would have been kept around but I can see how that wouldn't quite work.
If they reprint the Champion, as is, I will go mad.
I'm no fan of the Champion either...Hmm... How about they DON'T reprint the free classes then? Since they're available for free! And replace them by new classes in the new PHB?

If you want them, just print them off D&D's website.

Yaarel

He-Mage
Personally, I would like a comprehensive rules encyclopedia. So I would like the PH content, with the classes but especially including all of the relevant updates since the PH came out. For example. The Cleric would include Xanathars option to revere a cosmic force. The Ranger Beastmaster would include the new animals in Tashas. The Artificer would be there too. And so on.

Remove ads