• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's 5e vs Tasha's 5e where do you see 5e heading?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Respectfully, Minigiant, I do not see this logic taking into consideration the 5th edition emphasis on storylines. At the time of the 5th edition roll out, the design team (Mike Mearls, Chris Perkins, Jeremy Crawford, for example) were very clear that the emphasis is moving Dungeons & Dragons forward with storylines, rather then rules options and supplements. The rules options and supplements are published when they are ready to go, but the vacuity or fecundity of the game is not judged by the people making the game based on this rationale of "ideas that can fit in the current race, monster, and class systems." That would be an appropriate standard for 3rd or 4th edition, whose design teams held a different set of assumptions.

Also, I think that when it does come to rules, there are many areas of expansion and adaptation that go well beyond subclass and monster and even class design.

But, I have made my prediction. We'll see how it goes. Keep 'em rolling! :)

I get that.

All I am saying is that there is a limit of sellable content you can make if you are against both revision and major addition. That limit is coming.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I get that.

All I am saying is that there is a limit of sellable content you can make if you are against both revision and major addition. That limit is coming.
Ok, I understand. We have different perspectives with regard to that, and that's cool. Thanks for clarifying. Cheers!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
We just had a big old book of modular material come out this past Tuesday.

Y'all be trippin'
I had high hopes for it ravenloft being the place where WotC would be willing to tread on new ground. Mechanically there is very little in the way of new ground. Yes there is some guidance on horror genres, but under that the closest they come to treading new ground there is telling gamemasters t go do it yourself with "Feature monsters that are immune to tactics characters often use but that are vulnerable to other strategies the characters could employ.". A handful of tables are hardly new mechanics or modular systems to swap in & out of the ruleset. There's a page dedicated to ""magic & metaphysics with a handful of subsections with what could have served as introductions to sections on each where mechanics were found but instead they largely avoid any sort of mechanics. That leaves fear/stress & survivors... those 3-4 pages hardly combine into "a big old book of modular material"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I had high hopes for it ravenloft being the place where WotC would be willing to tread on new ground. Mechanically there is very little in the way of new ground. Yes there is some guidance on horror genres, but under that the closest they come to treading new ground there is telling gamemasters t go do it yourself with "Feature monsters that are immune to tactics characters often use but that are vulnerable to other strategies the characters could employ.". A handful of tables are hardly new mechanics or modular systems to swap in & out of the ruleset. There's a page dedicated to ""magic & metaphysics with a handful of subsections with what could have served as introductions to sections on each where mechanics were found but instead they largely avoid any sort of mechanics. That leaves fear/stress & survivors... those 3-4 pages hardly combine into "a big old book of modular material"
There is more mechanical material than you are making out.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Bo9S can out 6 years after 3.0.

The rigid system is the design space left for creation. There isn't a lot of design space in most classes in their subclasses to drastically change them. All races and lineages are locked into a +2/+1 plus minor race/lineage aspects system. Monster design is all wacky and don't really tailor to new playstyles. All the settings used similar assumptions and don't pull the game deep into new directions. No alternatives to feats or multiclassing to change the style of play. No new magic systems. No new combat styles. Few new equipment that alter the game genre.
Cool! Since much of this isn't true, we don't have to worry about your doom and gloom.

• No evidence that these classes are "more rigid" then other editions.
  • "All races" ignores the existing races that aren't +2/+1 like mountain dwarves, half elves, and humans.
  • Monster design being "wacky" is pretty much like 4e with exception based design. No evidence of what you say.
  • "All settings used similar assumptions" assumes that all settings ignores ones like Eberron, or Theros, or from what I understand the new Ravenloft. Just about any of them past the kitchen sink of FR.
  • No alternatives for feats and multiclassing - just like other editions didn't.
  • No new magic systems. Again, you say this like it's a death knell. They have experimented with ones in UA like for psionics and the players didn't like it.
  • No new combat styles - if you mean fighting styles, they are in Tasha's. If you mean something more, where is that in other editions?

Really, this is a list a problems you are making up out of whole cloth that either bear no scruteny, or don't carry the weight you are trying to make them out to be.

Basically, nothing on your list actually supports that you can do less with 5e when with 3.x or 4e.

Remove ads