D&D 5E Volo's 5e vs Tasha's 5e where do you see 5e heading?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Strangely, I feel it was a good idea as well. But I understand how that might not be to your liking.

EDIT: I should elaborate as that came across unnecessarily snarky. I like the idea that I don't have to add on magic items or feats to keep up with the maths. I also CAN add on magic items and feats without messing up the maths. This gives me a fairly wide latitude when it comes to adventure building and game world modifications.

I can see, however, that some may like a more focused construction that takes into account and assumes the need and inclusion of magic items and/or feats. For those people who 5e doesn't live up to, I feel a bit bad.
There is a difference between someone not wanting magic items and feats in their game bedding to scale back challenges or accept thst some things are too tough at a given level because they wanted to disallow them vrs someone who wants to use them exceeding the system math and breaking things in difficult to correct ways like casters being pegged at a bar that assumes martials wont have access to magic items.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Indeed I am! And there is even a spiffy cleaned up full version of the entire story hour in PDF form available in my old portal thread AND I recently revived my 90s style D&D zines in a series called HOW IT RUN IT.

Nice to "see" you again, compadre!

Going to grab those PDFs now, I see some reading evenings in my near future...

Re-reading the story hour, that will give me some almost twenty years old souvenirs.

Really nice to see you here, compadre! So you're DMing 5e now? Are you doing a story hour or of it? I began a 5e campaign during lockdown last year, with my old mattress from high school, almost 25 years after, and we have been playing weekly since then.

Sorry for the thread hijacking, people, it has been more than 15 years since I last met Nemmerle here!!!

Last edited:

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus

Re-reading the story hour, that will give me some almost twenty years old souvenirs.

Really nice to see you here, compadre! So you're DMing 5e now? Are you doing a story hour or of it? I began a 5e campaign during lockdown last year, with my old mattress from high school, almost 25 years after, and we have been playing weekly since then.

Sorry for the thread hijacking, people, it has been more than 15 years since I last met Nemmerle here!!!
My friend, this thread needs some good will big time...big time. Please continue to "hijack" it with more of the same!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus

We can move this convo to DMs - but be sure to grab the "Complete" PDF - since it has extra material like DM notes, maps, stat blocks, props, etc. . .

Note: I used two different meanings of "DM" in this post :ROFLMAO:

Hussar

Legend
But that's my gripe with WOTC.

They used to make non-magical classes, subclasses, and prestige/paragon/epic classes. They were non magical fighters, rogues, rangers, scholars, brutes, craftsmen, tinkerers, and barbarians. WOTC doesn't do it anymore. They took the easy route and are just adding spells and magic to everything.

They don't anymore. And it's to the point that people like can't even see the expansion into the non-magical anymore.
Oh, now this I agree with.

I just disagree with your timeline. It's been this way since 5e was released. 5e was always super high magic right out of the gate. To the point where it took multiple supplements to even make a dent in the imbalance. And it wasn't much of a dent at all. We're still at the 80% magical classes level we were at 5e's release.

For me, it's hilarious. One of the biggest gripes I saw about 4e was how they turned every class into a caster, when that was totally untrue. Now, 80% of the classes are magical and most of those are outright spell casters, and everyone thinks that's great!!! :lol:

AFAIC, the ship sailed years ago on trying to make 5e less caster heavy.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Oh, now this I agree with.

I just disagree with your timeline. It's been this way since 5e was released. 5e was always super high magic right out of the gate. To the point where it took multiple supplements to even make a dent in the imbalance. And it wasn't much of a dent at all. We're still at the 80% magical classes level we were at 5e's release.

For me, it's hilarious. One of the biggest gripes I saw about 4e was how they turned every class into a caster, when that was totally untrue. Now, 80% of the classes are magical and most of those are outright spell casters, and everyone thinks that's great!!! :lol:

AFAIC, the ship sailed years ago on trying to make 5e less caster heavy.

Nah. Base D&D is high magic. Early 5e was high magic but it still had many elements lower on the supernatural scale. Volo's was still a bit representative of the martial and the skillled.

But now... 5e is at the point where in Tasha's is just "give everybody spells.". 4e had a lot of magic users but it never forgot the martials like 5e has.

That's why a give a couple more years before a drop off. Because more "fighters with spells", "rogues with spells", "barbarians with another element" and a stack of new spells won't sell as well the 10th time.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I am surprised at how many people think this is the case. As someone who has been playing for a long, long time, let me assert here that I think the natural development of the game that we saw in Tasha's is absolutely nothing like a 5.5 edition. Further, let me lay out here that I think 5th edition is not heading toward a 6th edition anytime soon. Let me make my prediction less abstract: In 2025, there will be no 6th edition. In 2026, there will be no 6th edition. Let the people of the future visit this thread and verify who was correct. But, I think that the people here who are equating lineage or alignment adjustments with a new edition are quite disconnected from the entire ethos and mindset behind 5th edition.

But, that is just my prediction. We'll see. I think you are all quite creative and I enjoy reading the forums. Let the readers of the future note who was correct.

Cheers!
It looks like I was wrong.

It will be fascinating to see what this new "evolution of the game"/6th edition of D&D published in 2024 turns out to be. I have expressed here a few times in a few different threads that one of my concerns about the endless changing of the rules of D&D is that it stymies the development of new ideas as the energy of all of the writers employed by Wizards becomes directed at redeveloping yet another version of a book that most of us probably have 3-5 editions of right now on our shelves. However, if it is true that the new edition will be backward compatible with the setting books, and if the new iteration makes other players happy, I guess I can roll with it. There is something to be said for an edition that makes calculated tweaks that are culled from hundreds of thousands of players playing 5th edition over years.

But, I still would like to see, at some point, the endless reiteration of basic rules no longer become the emphasis of role-playing games. After fifty years, I say call it good with regard to the basic rule system and focus exclusively on developing new stories, new settings, and new ways to expand the existing rules rather than change what seems to be working for most people. But, I find myself happy for others and, who knows, perhaps this new edition will add nothing but good upon good. I am open-minded for sure.

Omand

Hero
If anything this is more of a 5.5E than 6E, isn't it?
I agree, the announcement today at D&D Celebration came across much more as 5.25 or 5.5. Not 6E. Yes, Elle the host of the channel called it a new edition, but watch it again. All of the of the WotC types were at pain to say it is an update to the game.

Cheers :)

Remove ads