• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vorpal and Sharpness reborn

kreynolds

First Post
Well, these are the final versions that myself and my group decided upon. Credits go out to my fellow DM, Damien, and to the others here that helped out with the new vorpal, Crothian, gamecat, AGGEMAM, etc.

Sharpness: This potent and feared enchantment bears an extraordinarily sharp blade. Upon a successful critical hit, a planar rift, allowing the weapon to cut through even the hardest materials, replaces the blade of the weapon. The sharpness enhancement deals an additional x4 force damage. For instance, a longsword deals 1d8 points of damage per hit. So a sharpness longsword will deal 1d8 (normal damage) + 1d8 (normal critical damage) + 4d8 (sharpness damage) points of damage. Also, sharpness weapons completely bypass the hardness of all objects they strike.

A sharpness weapon must be a slashing weapon. The damage dealt by a sharpness weapon is force damage and can even harm creatures that are immune to critical hits.

Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge, finger of death; Market Price: +4 bonus.

and...

Vorpal: This potent and feared enchantment bears an extraordinarily sharp blade. Upon a successful critical hit, a planar rift, allowing the weapon to cut through even the hardest materials, replaces the blade of the weapon. The vorpal enhancement deals an additional x6 force damage. For instance, a longsword deals 1d8 points of damage per hit. So a vorpal longsword will deal 1d8 (normal damage) + 1d8 (normal critical damage) + 6d8 (vorpal damage) points of damage. Additionally, upon a successful critical hit, the target must make a successful Fortitude save (DC = damage dealt) or die instantly.

A vorpal weapon must be a slashing weapon. The damage dealt by a vorpal weapon is force damage and can even harm creatures that are immune to critical hits.

Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge, finger of death; Market Price: +5 bonus.

Well, there they are. As always, input is cool.

I would like to mention something regarding the Sharpness enhancement. You'll notice that the spell requirements for both Vorpal and Sharpness are the same. Let me explain why. When I first drafted up the Sharpness enhancement, I felt it was too powerful to be +4 but not powerful enough to be +5, so to be safe, I left it at +5 and I have yet to alter to requirements to reflect the change. My group feels that it should be +4. What do you guys think?

Anyways, hope you enjoy them. :)

Last edited:

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
LOL.

Mr Reynolds, I note that on your own rant pages, you rip into others for using the term enchantment when refering to a magic item...

"Enchantment
Enchantment spells affect the minds of others, influencing or controlling their behavior."

and I quote

Nip this in the bud: don't use the word "enchantment" unless you mean an actual enchantment-school effect. "Enchantment" means a very specific thing in 3E D&D, and that's a benefit, so don't corrupt the usage and muddy the terms

And then we run into Sharpness and Vorpal as... "enchantments" in your post!

once again, LOL.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
HellHound said:
LOL.

Mr Reynolds, I note that on your own rant pages, you rip into others for using the term enchantment when refering to a magic item...

"Enchantment
Enchantment spells affect the minds of others, influencing or controlling their behavior."

and I quote

Nip this in the bud: don't use the word "enchantment" unless you mean an actual enchantment-school effect. "Enchantment" means a very specific thing in 3E D&D, and that's a benefit, so don't corrupt the usage and muddy the terms

And then we run into Sharpness and Vorpal as... "enchantments" in your post!

once again, LOL.

Uhmm...for the last time...

I'M NOT SEAN K. REYNOLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:

milo

First Post
I don't think that the sharpness enhancement is as good as the vorpal so it should stay at a +4 in my opinion.

milo

First Post
I don't think that the sharpness enhancement is as good as the vorpal so it should stay at a +4 in my opinion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads