[VTT] What size screen do you use?

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
I was shopping for a laptop and got one. It's not for gaming or anything. Mostly for productivity and work. (16 inch screen). But I got to thinking: how would it work for playing in VTTs (Fantasy Grounds and Foundry, specifically)? I'd run games using my desktop. But for sitting in my recliner and playing... :unsure: Which then got me thinking:

What size screen is everyone using?

Aran

Explorer
I'm a player in one game where everyone is remote and I connect my laptop (15" screen) with my 19" monitor and have the main Roll20 map on the monitor with my character sheet and notes on the laptop screen.

I am the DM in a second game where it's split between a couple players remote and the rest are in person. For this setup we play in the living room and one player casts their screen to the TV for the convenience of everyone in person and I run the the game off just my laptop and I feel much more constrained using just the laptop screen.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I GM in Foundry and AboveVTT. My setup is 2 x 24" for VTT and Discord, and a MacBook Air for notes etc. I'm looking to upgrade one 24 to 32" though for the VTT, it'll be easer on my old man eyes. Even though squinting is hot according to recent research reports.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I sit at my desk so have access to my 40". Its helpful because these old eyes are not what they used to be.

drl2

Explorer
I've been a dual-monitor addict for years :). My main screen is 32", with a 24" monitor next to it. Usually I run the main VTT window on the big monitor and pop out whatever character sheets, journal entries, etc. I want to keep open (which can be quite a lot when I'm GMing) onto the second screen.

I kind of want to add another 24" on the other side of the big one to balance things out, but I need to find a non-floor place to sit the PC itself to make space.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was shopping for a laptop and got one. It's not for gaming or anything. Mostly for productivity and work. (16 inch screen). But I got to thinking: how would it work for playing in VTTs (Fantasy Grounds and Foundry, specifically)? I'd run games using my desktop. But for sitting in my recliner and playing... :unsure: Which then got me thinking:

What size screen is everyone using?

So, when I play online, I'm usually running my VTT (usually Roll20, occasionally Owlbear Rodeo) on a 17" laptop screen.

However, most of the time the group is using Discord for voice chat - and that I usually run on a separate machine.

I currently have a 27" (WQHD) screen and it's not terrible, but for GMing I have started to consider something slightly larger (probably a 34" ultra-wide). If we are just talking about playing, I think a 15 or 16" laptop screen would be ok.

Remove ads