• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wahammer RPG

teitan

Legend
My FLGS still has a copy of the WFRPG and Enemy Within and I was thinking of getting them after all I have heard about them but I haven't decided yet because I want to know what is so great about Warhammer FRPG. Can you guys break it down for me, how does the system work etc? How does it stack compared to Arcana Unearthed (my favourite fantasy game of all time) and how does it compare to D&D or Earthdawn?

Jason

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Its been a long time since I played warhammer RPG, nothing but good memories from them. What I remember most was you new characters started out as an ordinary guy. You might have been a tailor or just a grave robber or a common thief or highway man. Through your adventures you got levels like ranger, wizard, swordsmans and stuff like that. Also the world seemd gritty and nasty. Was fun, don't think I would like to campaign in it for long. Very low mortality rate.

Earthdawn is still one of my favorites though. Play that instead :p

ruemere

Adventurer
teitan said:
My FLGS still has a copy of the WFRPG and Enemy Within and I was thinking of getting them after all I have heard about them but I haven't decided yet because I want to know what is so great about Warhammer FRPG. Can you guys break it down for me, how does the system work etc? How does it stack compared to Arcana Unearthed (my favourite fantasy game of all time) and how does it compare to D&D or Earthdawn?

Jason
First of all, you may want to hold your purchase until there is the new edition (early next year, I think).

Secondly, while WFRP, as a game rocks, its system is only so-so for experienced characters. If you are familiar with a "naked dwarf syndrome"... the term was coined for WFRP and simply tied into the fact, that a naked dwarf may be virtually invulnerable to any kind of gun (unless a critical is scored).

Thirdly, system looks basically like this:

• A character is defined by percentage (Weapon Skill, Bow Skill, Cool, etc) or 1-10 abilities (Move, Strength, Toughness, Wounds). Races are NOT balanced, Elfs being the most agile and and skilled characters, Dwarfs excelling in melee, toughness and slowness, while Humans, with their highest Fate Point allotment being the average.
  • When you test an ability, you add a situational modifier and then roll under or equal to ability (percentage) or roll d6 and add ability score (for those in 1-10 range). When you Wounds reach 0, further damage causes critical hits (ranging from delicate scratches to instant death).
  • Each character is defined also by their profession (4 groups of professions) also known a Career. Each Career allows to purchase advances of basic abilities... and some, known as Advanced Careers, allow to make even higher advances. Among starting Careers you get Rat Catcher and famous Troll Slayer, among advanced Assassin, Wizard or Cleric.
  • Spells are powered by mana. And they usually are limited in scope and used for combat purposes. Getting to higher levels of magic career is very slow and time consuming (3 year long campaign and there was only one 2nd level Wizard in my group).
This is the gist of the system. However, the real strength of the game lies in its atmosphere, with its Terror throws, gloomy prospects (ever heard of experienced adventurers working for food because nobody wants to employ them?), terrifying secrets and scary witch hunters looming on the horizon.

Regards,
Ruemere

dpmcalister

Explorer
As a long-time WFRP player and GM (as long as the game has been in print in fact) I would say that if you're looking for a dark, gothic, fantasy game, then WFRP is your best bet. The rules are not without their faults (find me a game that is without fault!) but they work none-the-less.

Unlike Dagger75, I think the gritty and nasty is the backbone of WFRP, indeed, the back cover states A Grim World of Perilous Adventure. ruemere has a better understanding of the game though. I agree that the individual races are not balanced with each other, but why should they be? However, in my current (yes I'm still running the original WFRP), all of the PCs are humans (they are all from the same village).

With regard to The Enemy Within, it is the greatest campaign ever written for a roleplaying game. Unfortunately, trying to get hold of the later installments (especially Empire in Flames, the final part) is almost impossible :(

Finally, WFRP v2... I've playtested this and, while I cannot comment on what's in it (NDAs and all that), I think you'll be OK with the original rules for a while yet...

pogre

Legend
Another long time WFRP GM here. I agree with ruemere's observations - every class, but the spell-casters run into an experience limit where they just cannot improve much more. However, the combat is a blast and I ran many, many long term campaigns. The Enemy Within is one of the all time greatest campaigns.

Acid_crash

First Post
Can anybody say what the difference is between the two editions? Or, at least, if v2 will keep it's own system or will it be d20 (hoping not)?

Pramas

Explorer
Acid_crash said:
Can anybody say what the difference is between the two editions? Or, at least, if v2 will keep it's own system or will it be d20 (hoping not)?

There'll be previews and whatnot happening in the new year. In the interim, I can confirm that WFRP remains its own system and is not d20. The heart of the game is still the career system and the rules remain percentile based. Magic has been totally redone, to better suit the Warhammer World.

Oh, and physically it's 256 pages, hardback, and full color throughout. And damn pretty if I do say.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads