• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wahammer RPG

teitan

Legend
You can make D&D pretty stark and grim bu making a few changes to the massive damage rules y'know... look at COnan or Cthulhu.

Jason

JoeGKushner

First Post
One could easily capture the feel of Warhammer by going a few routes...

Dark Legacies: Already has the non-humans with a grimer look but pretty much the same beast for most of them.

Grim Tales: Character creation is very player controlled and magic takes a bit more work.

Conan: Great for Sword & Sorcery style games. Uses many things from the d20 engine, but is different enough to be its own beast.

The Black Company: Want those horrible critical hits and classes designed for a military campagin? This is your best bet. Heck, they even have a random background table if you want to mimick Warhammer's.

pogre said:
WFRP has a lot of warts, but if you did not like 1st edition - I don't think you are going to like 2nd ed. much. Knowing a bit about how you like to play D&D (from your posts here) I'm surprised you did not enjoy it. Those of us who like it, think Chris P. did a decent job of revision. I certainly enjoyed playtesting it.
There are parts of it I didn't like, like random career paths and whatnot.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:

Random career paths at character creation...

I broke it down into three fields, depending on the game I wanted to play:

"Normal" This had things like servant and what not in it.

"Competent" Things like hunters, thieves...

"Dangerous" Gladiators, Troll Slayers and other dangerous types.

Made character creation a little more platable.

The unbalanced nature of the characters also had problems. I enjoy humans as they are the majority of the race there and control a lot of it but... my favorite characters were probably a dwarf demon slayer (advanced career from White Wolf), and a elf who became like super archer of doom.

Zappo

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
That wasn't a big deal. You could spend 100 XP and switch to any basic career in your group - and the group was chosen at creation, not random. So the "random" career path is actually only 100 XP away from being "chosen by the player".

JoeGKushner

First Post
Zappo said:
That wasn't a big deal. You could spend 100 XP and switch to any basic career in your group - and the group was chosen at creation, not random. So the "random" career path is actually only 100 XP away from being "chosen by the player".

I see this sort of stuff all the time... "I don't like X"

"Well, you could do Y."

And then he could say... "But why should my character be penalized 100xp for not having the option to just take Y in the first place?"

To which someone else could reply, "Well, all rules are options...."

He didn't like it, I don't like it, and a lot of other people, including myself and my game group threw it out. Does it mean that it couldn't be worked around? No. Does it mean we don't like it? Yes.

the Jester

Legend
My experience with WFRP is limited, but I loved it. I found the game exciting and enjoyable under both of the gms I played under (1 session each, wish there'd been more).

I have played a 3e version of The Enemy Within and found it extremely fun and exciting. The game I play in is set in the Warhammer universe with dnd as the ruleset.

Zappo

Explorer
What I meant is that the randomness of the starting career is a very minor annoyance. You're stuck with a career you don't like - for, what, the first adventure? The random determination of stats has a much greater influence on the character, for example. IIRC, the increase of stats with experience could only do so much, and you would always be behind another character who was born better.

I don't understand why you went to the trouble of changing the determination of starting career, unless you also changed a lot of more important stuff...?

frankthedm

First Post
the Jester said:
My experience with WFRP is limited, but I loved it. I found the game exciting and enjoyable under both of the gms I played under (1 session each, wish there'd been more).

I have played a 3e version of The Enemy Within and found it extremely fun and exciting. The game I play in is set in the Warhammer universe with dnd as the ruleset.

tell me more.

how much damage does a troll do with their acid vomit, Is it an area [cone or line] or a range touch?

gots a link to that enemy within conversion?

Can anyone say how much of the Newer Warhammer fluff is in the upcoming book? Tomb kings seem silly to me, yet those new "gamer sized" ogres seem cool. I don't care for the Fimirs in the old WHFRP book, and hope the skinks & saurus are in there.

Mostly, i hope the new one coming out still has "magic with teeth". Wotc was quick to pull the teeth from most spells in thier version of D&D to increase sales. It would be a real shame if magic in the olde world was whored out like that.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I actually liked the random career paths. If you really want to simulate it in D20 just have everyone choose an NPC class using the chart from WHFRP to begin with, then 500 XP later allow them to upgrade their current class to the closest PC Class equivalent. (Fighter from warrior, bard, rogue or ranger from expert, etc. For apprentice spellcasters only allow them to choose 0 level spells until they reach 500 XP. (When they reach 100 you can let them progress as normal.) The Grim n Gritty combat and spell system works well with it.

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads